Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pointer
I agree that terraces can be very useful on crop ground. They've fallen out of favor around here for dry dams/water and sediment control basins. Most often designed with a backslope that can be farmed across.

I wouldn't tear out terraces on pasture ground that had them, but I do not think it would ever pencil to put them in on existing pasture. Better grazing practices and appropriate renovations/overseeding would be a more cost effective practice.

A lot depends on your annual rainfall. But solid practices of management usually pay off.

Down here we have to add brush control to the equation as well. That's what what I do.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My land used to be terraced, as was all of the neighboring land. Mostly has been disked down and leveled out starting back in the 1970's. My Dad built a lot of terraces for us and our neighbors back when I was very young. I never saw it used or remember it hooked up but the old terracing plow is out back. I did see a picture of one hooked up long ago, and it was hooked up under the tractor, small Ford, with the single rolling plow between the right front wheel and the back wheel. Just a few miles south of me is the beginning of the Grand Prairie, but where I live is a lot of clay and highly erodeable. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We soil test for lime, and dry fertilizer.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by tripod3
I hunt a place with some serious terracing done decades ago when it was a popular practice and put in CRP plus some pasture. Some was put back in crop recently where the terraces are a royal pain slowing equipment down, the terraces are also not needed with notill planting.

I work for NRCS and have got to disagree about the no-till planting comment. NT is great for controlling sheet and rill erosion but does nothing for controlling gully erosion. Gully erosion happens in areas of concentrated flow. Depending on crop rotation, soil type, slope and slope length, you may need terraces (or Diversions on steeper ground) and grass waterways or cover crops to control the erosion. I see lots of NT corn and soybean rotations that have problems with erosion. The soybean residue disintegrates and leaves the soil surface bare. Pretty soon, you get little rivulets of water that form into bigger concentrated flow areas and you have an ephemeral gully. Leave it go long enough and you have a serious size gully.

BTW, Terraces are designed to be farmed so are they flatter and broader than Diversions. They worked well but modern wide equipment doesn't fit very well on them anymore. Max field slope for building a terrace is around 6 or 7% if I remember right. Anything over that needs to be a diversion. Terraces can be designed to store water (and let it soak in) or sloped to drain or have a standpipe to drain. Diversions always are sloped to drain and are seeded to a grass mix.

I've been farming contours strips, waterways and diversions since I was a kid in the 70's. Yes, they can be a pain but fixing gullies each spring is a bigger pain. Not to mention losing your topsoil.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dale K
Originally Posted by tripod3
I hunt a place with some serious terracing done decades ago when it was a popular practice and put in CRP plus some pasture. Some was put back in crop recently where the terraces are a royal pain slowing equipment down, the terraces are also not needed with notill planting.

I work for NRCS and have got to disagree about the no-till planting comment. NT is great for controlling sheet and rill erosion but does nothing for controlling gully erosion. Gully erosion happens in areas of concentrated flow. Depending on crop rotation, soil type, slope and slope length, you may need terraces (or Diversions on steeper ground) and grass waterways or cover crops to control the erosion. I see lots of NT corn and soybean rotations that have problems with erosion. The soybean residue disintegrates and leaves the soil surface bare. Pretty soon, you get little rivulets of water that form into bigger concentrated flow areas and you have an ephemeral gully. Leave it go long enough and you have a serious size gully.

BTW, Terraces are designed to be farmed so are they flatter and broader than Diversions. They worked well but modern wide equipment doesn't fit very well on them anymore. Max field slope for building a terrace is around 6 or 7% if I remember right. Anything over that needs to be a diversion. Terraces can be designed to store water (and let it soak in) or sloped to drain or have a standpipe to drain. Diversions always are sloped to drain and are seeded to a grass mix.

I've been farming contours strips, waterways and diversions since I was a kid in the 70's. Yes, they can be a pain but fixing gullies each spring is a bigger pain. Not to mention losing your topsoil.

Dale
I agree. Around here, terraces have gone the way of the dodo bird. WASCOBs are the more common practices, especially since CRP re-enrolls have gotten harder and/or less rental payments.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
When we put in culverts the cattle made paths that wash down the hills.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 50 invisible), 2,638 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.