Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was at the Labradar booth today and very much liked what I saw with the new Labradar LX.

I was told that this unit was under development for 18 months, that they planned to unveil it at this SHOT Show, and the announcement of Garmin Xero didn’t cause them to change their plans. “It would have been impossible to develop this unit in the time since the Garmin came out. We have been at this a year to 18 months, because we wanted to get everything right.”

They had an ace up their sleeve the whole time!

My questions:

#1. CAN I ADD TO A PREVIOUS STRING, DAMMIT?

Answer: “Of course. Why are you getting so excited?” Gent shows me how you simply select the string you are returning to, hit the arm button, and voila! (Was that so goshdarned hard? )

So let me get this straight: I can go back to any series, at any time, and add to it, and it will continue compiling the data?

“Yup.”

Part of me thinks Garmin will fix their Xero to allow for this fundamental functionality PDQ, and part of me wonders why the heck it’s not already in there. Either way, score. Advantage Labradar. Now I am interested.

2. Can it detect rimfire, pellets, arrows, shotguns, .17 and .22 cal? All yes, except, maybe, shotgun. Unclear on that, but promised it could be part of an update. All the others, definite yes.

3. What’s with the sight on top. Is the field narrow?

No, we used to have a 4 by 4 degree beam opening, now we have a 32 x 16 beam opening, so you don’t need the sight at all. We just put it there because some customers are used to it and like to have it. Just put the unit on the table, point it downrange shoot within 12-18 inches, and it will pick up all your shots.

The old units narrow beam allowed for velocity readings out to 100 yards or maybe a bit more with some calibers. That can still be useful for rimfire and air rifle applications. This new unit’s more forgiving wider beam allows for readings out to 25 yards, and also, allows users to pick more than one point (multiple readings) x say at muzzle and at. 25 yards.

4. Aluminum case (not plastic), made in North America (not Taiwan), data solely yours and is never accessed by 3rd parties (unlike Garmin), internal battery but also runs on external battery if desired, and will operate while charging, USB-C port for charge and also for data transfer, new improved microphone is super sensitive and is triggered by pellet guns, suppressors, etc.

They had me at “previous string ...”

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Price? When's it going to hit the dealer shelves?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Good to hear. Wondering if they can update older units to add shots to previous strings. Seems possible.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Wow.

Add to previous shot strings.

I wonder if the shorter range/wider beam makes it more difficult to accurately predict the BC of a bullet. Although not a feature used much on the LRV1. Never found it a challenge to aim my LR though.

Operates on internal or external battery.

The LRLX is made in North America.

They kindve have me at “return to previous shot strings” too…..

Great. Now I’m going to want spend a chunk of change on ANOTHER chronograph.

Anybody wanna buy a M35 and a LRV1? I’ll make a package deal……..

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
Good to hear. Wondering if they can update older units to add shots to previous strings. Seems possible.

That would definitely be nice….

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All good stuff, but too late for me. Delivery supposed to be late March. Maybe next time.

Made in North America, so not in USA. Canada? Mexico is more likely. Taiwan is just fine with me, Mexico not so much these days…

Last edited by Pappy348; 01/27/24.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Price? When's it going to hit the dealer shelves?
https://buymylabradar.com/products/labradar-lx-new-product

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
All good stuff, but too late for me. Delivery supposed to be late March. Maybe next time.

Made in North America, so not in USA. Canada? Mexico is more likely. Taiwan is just fine with me, Mexico not so much these days…

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any Garmins for sale for $300 yet? whistle

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, Canada. That’s pretty good.

Oughta be some good deals on them from Canada after Justin finishes taking all the guns….

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In an email conversation, LR recently told me they are working on a way to return to previous strings on the V1 model. There may be no good reason to get rid of your LRV1 just yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Competition is good. Garmin and Labradar will find ways to lower the prices of their units.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He he!

I had sent my LR1 in last year to fix a port I had broke.

When talking with them, it was hinted they were working on a "new improved" model. Knew something was coming...

My LR1 is still good and will certainly explore the new model. But I will let the dust/hype settle first.

Arcus Venator
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am rooting for the update on the old unit myself (can’t believe I didn’t think to ask that - although I had asked it before and was told “no”).

Made in North America means Canada.

When I asked them about narrow beam vs. wide beam issue, their take was that they never really promoted the potential to calculate BC by taking readings downrange because even the older, narrow-beamed unit maxes out at about 100 yards. Their position is that you wouldn’t want to extrapolate BC numbers farther downrange. So while it has utility in the rimfire and airgun world, 100-yard BCs in the centerfire rifle world are not so useful.

Thus the wider beam on the new units provides lots of benefits and sacrifices a little bit of downrange abilities that were of limited benefit anyway.

Attached Images
IMG_2862.jpeg (25.42 KB, 364 downloads)
IMG_2860.jpeg (35.63 KB, 362 downloads)
IMG_2864.jpeg (43.11 KB, 360 downloads)

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have to wonder if that wider beam will result in more false readings from shooters at adjacent benches. I ask because I was the “offender” shooting several positions down from a guy using a LR, and he was picking up my shots. Maybe he had it aimed poorly, maybe not. I tried to time my shots between his to avoid confusion, but he still had to delete them. That incident promoted me to buy a MS instead.

What fresh Hell is this?
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I have to wonder if that wider beam will result in more false readings from shooters at adjacent benches. I ask because I was the “offender” shooting several positions down from a guy using a LR, and he was picking up my shots. Maybe he had it aimed poorly, maybe not. I tried to time my shots between his to avoid confusion, but he still had to delete them. That incident promoted me to buy a MS instead.

Short answer is no.

The way it was explained to me, in AUTO mode, which is where you want to be most of the time, there is a “double trigger technology.” Basically it has two triggers, sound, and Doppler (something out front), and it needs coordinated signals from both to activate a reading. Stray readings don’t seem to be an issue anymore with the new-gen doppler units.

Only when shooting arrows should one use “Doppler” mode, which is triggered by something out front, and does not confirm it with noise ...

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
With my original version I have gone to using the doppler trigger all the time. It works fine that way. It triggers when it sees a doppler shift on anything in the field of view.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
all this new tech is fascinating, but I am comfortable with, and will continue to use my old Chrony Beta. For my limited needs, it still provides the answers.

Sam......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
all this new tech is fascinating, but I am comfortable with, and will continue to use my old Chrony Beta. For my limited needs, it still provides the answers.
BFD

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

304 members (338reddog, 219 Wasp, 30Gibbs, 10ring1, 29aholic, 348srfun, 34 invisible), 1,751 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,205
Posts18,524,224
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.