Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Namuh
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by K22
You should have bought a 457 when you first seen them bsa.
With a spring change mine is down to a 12oz. trigger pull. I have another spring to take it down to 8oz. if I'm so inclined.
Most of my rimfires run around that 12 to 16oz. pull weight. My old Squirrel rifle is at 6oz. and the Rem. 541/581 is at 9oz.

Sounds good. Does the trigger feel good on the CZ457, after the spring upgrade? Just wondering. I don't like mine to be that light, but I do like a trigger that breaks with little to no creep. That's one thing I like about my new model 52. That trigger is very sweet. Just wondering how the American compares.. As for buying the CZ457 Americans that I saw, I am pretty sure the one small town gunshop still has one. It is 70 miles away, but she gets very little business. I may sneak over there, and see if she still has it. ha ha.. and that one was $600.00, but it was a beautiful rifle.

Yes, it feels real good. Has a nice break to it. I had to adjust the take up and the overtravel to get it where I like them.
I would go buy it. It may give your 52 a run for the money and like the 52's, the CZ is not an UL. Mine with the scope is a shade over 7lbs.
Originally Posted by K22
Originally Posted by K22
You should have bought a 457 when you first seen them bsa.
With a spring change mine is down to a 12oz. trigger pull. I have another spring to take it down to 8oz. if I'm so inclined.
Most of my rimfires run around that 12 to 16oz. pull weight. My old Squirrel rifle is at 6oz. and the Rem. 541/581 is at 9oz.

Sounds good. Does the trigger feel good on the CZ457, after the spring upgrade? Just wondering. I don't like mine to be that light, but I do like a trigger that breaks with little to no creep. That's one thing I like about my new model 52. That trigger is very sweet. Just wondering how the American compares.. As for buying the CZ457 Americans that I saw, I am pretty sure the one small town gunshop still has one. It is 70 miles away, but she gets very little business. I may sneak over there, and see if she still has it. ha ha.. and that one was $600.00, but it was a beautiful rifle.

Yes, it feels real good. Has a nice break to it. I had to adjust the take up and the overtravel to get it where I like them.
I would go buy it. It may give your 52 a run for the money and like the 52's, the CZ is not an UL. Mine with the scope is a shade over 7lbs.

I just picked up my CZ 457 American on the 15th, 6 lbs naked with the mud stock. It came with a factory trigger pull set at 4lbs 6oz that I adjusted down to 2lbs 2oz without charging any springs in it, the factory trigger does have a nice clean break and it’s for hunting so for now it’s set the same as the Timney in my deer rifle. You said you had a gritty bolt in yours, check the bolt bottom where the serial number is engraved into it, mine was very rough and I had to polish it to remove that grittiness out of the bolt, the engraving is so deep you can’t hurt it. I’ve put about a hundred rounds through it with my grandson and the bolt’s very smooth now. One thing that I just noticed today is that the plating on the end and sides of the firing pin is pealing off, if you’re having any light strikes or misfires you might want to take a look at it.

After reading another tread on a different forum I would like to correct what I posted above “ check the bolt bottom where the serial number is engraved into it, mine was very rough and I had to polish it to remove that grittiness out of the bolt” When I got the gun after playing with it for awhile, I stripped it, cleaned, and lightly oiled it, the bolt was gritty. Looking at a post on line it told about the roughness of the serial number and that it drug on the bolt carrier. I polished the bottom of the bolt and the top of the bolt carrier to smooth them out. I also noticed the bolt had some lines and marks around it so I polished it with some 2000 grit and finished it off with a red crocus cloth, still had the marks and lines but the whole bolt felt slick. Today after posting this I’ve gone back and taking a black sharpie to the bolt, I blacken the front of it all the way back to the bolt and then reinstalled it, cocking and un-cocking it about 20 times. What I found is the front of the bolt body touches the action in multiple places around its circumference…. I couldn’t find the bolt touching the bottom where the serial number is engraved but I’ve already polished mine, so maybe it might drag but I didn’t see any evidence of it. I still would advise polishing this area of the bolt as it’s rough enough to catch any cleaning rags you’d use to wipe it down with, but I think I probably got more of the grittiness out by lightly polishing the rest of the bolt. I used to use a small oil lamp to blacken the metal but the Sharpie test works good and is easier to clean up with a little rubbing alcohol, try it for yourself and see what you think, as always YMMV.

I know I have to do the same thing to my Savage Mk2's to smooth them out. Otherwise they seem sticky, when you run them back and forth. Good info anyway, and definitely something to be mindful of.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by K22
We have the same mud! shocked grin

Got dang, you guys finding these things down in Louisiana or something. They are much nicer in my area (out west).. Just sayin.

I’m about as far west as you can go without falling into the Pacific Ocean.

Well, at least you can use that sob as a boat paddle, when you go out fishing..
Might help me get through the next tidal wave.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Not a 457 American, but instead the Varmint model with a heavy 20.5" barrel.

[Linked Image]

Nice groups. JB is that a pic of your 457. On my cell the bolt body looks a bit different and the mag looks flush. Is that OEM? Thanks.

Been curious how the varmint WMR shoots.

That's a centerfire rifle, not a 457. JB probably got confused, when posting the pic.

Yep--because I have way too many photos on my computer. That's a 557 .308.

Will try to post the correct photo--if I can find it....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here it is:

[Linked Image]

During the Great Obama Rimfire Shortage I found some of this Armscor hollow-point LR ammo, and decided to try a couple boxes. It shot so well I then bought a few bricks of the same lot. Dunno if other lots group as well, but this batch has sent a lot of ground squirrels to another world....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice shooting Mule Deer. How muddy was your stock?

IC B2

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Came across another issue with the CZ457. Yesterday I was playing with the trigger again......... I know, I know, but I just can't help itcrazy Anyway, I set the pull weight to 1lb. even thinking I might like that. Put it all back in the stock and as I was tightening the action screws I lightly snugged up the front and rear screws, set my torque driver to 20in.lbs. rear and 25 for the front. When tightening the front I noticed action movement. Well that's always a sign of poor bedding, but then I checked the trigger pull and now it breaks at 11oz., so either the trigger housing is touching somewhere or the bedding sucks. I'll check both but I'm betting on the bedding.
Oh well, I was going to replace the pillars and bed the action anyway. No biggy.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Came across another issue with the CZ457. Yesterday I was playing with the trigger again......... I know, I know, but I just can't help itcrazy Anyway, I set the pull weight to 1lb. even thinking I might like that. Put it all back in the stock and as I was tightening the action screws I lightly snugged up the front and rear screws, set my torque driver to 20in.lbs. rear and 25 for the front. When tightening the front I noticed action movement. Well that's always a sign of poor bedding, but then I checked the trigger pull and now it breaks at 11oz., so either the trigger housing is touching somewhere or the bedding sucks. I'll check both but I'm betting on the bedding.
Oh well, I was going to replace the pillars and bed the action anyway. No biggy.

Funny how that poor bedding has an effect on a lot of things, isn't it? If it's torquing the receiver, at all, I've seen this with other rifles as well. Doesn't seem possible, but one of the reasons I always say to glass bed them. Especially if you see action or stock movement, when you tighten your action screws. You really don't need a torque wrench when you have a properly bedded rifle. I've told that to Josh at pursuit of accuracy a few times too, but he's not very mechanically inclined. He will always be in pursuit of accuracy. He doesn't understand why he gets filers, first shot fliers, poor groups either. Poor bedding is the culprit for almost all of that.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here it is:

[Linked Image]

During the Great Obama Rimfire Shortage I found some of this Armscor hollow-point LR ammo, and decided to try a couple boxes. It shot so well I then bought a few bricks of the same lot. Dunno if other lots group as well, but this batch has sent a lot of ground squirrels to another world....

Hard to beat that. That is the varmint version, isn't it? Nice rifle.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Glass bedding is always the answer as you know. Pillars are great for keeping the torque from compressing the stock, but it's the glass bedding the accounts for the accuracy and allows for removal of the barrel action and then reinstalling it without loosing your poi.
Next up is going to be drilling out the plastic pillars ( why did they use plastic), installing aluminum pillars, (I've used brass pillars at times), then glass bedding the action. Then I'll tackle the mud. smile

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
Glass bedding is always the answer as you know. Pillars are great for keeping the torque from compressing the stock, but it's the glass bedding the accounts for the accuracy and allows for removal of the barrel action and then reinstalling it without loosing your poi.
Next up is going to be drilling out the plastic pillars ( why did they use plastic), installing aluminum pillars, (I've used brass pillars at times), then glass bedding the action. Then I'll tackle the mud. smile

Nice. Sounds like a good plan of attack..

BSA MAGA
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by K22
Nice shooting Mule Deer. How muddy was your stock?

Thanks! The stock's actually not bad, with some decent figure visible on one side of the butt, and around the action area.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Here it is:

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's the varmint version with the 20.5" barrel. And as mentioned earlier, I bought it next-to-new new off the Campfire Classifieds, at a very good price!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice - shoots like the 308! Well, perhaps the 22 was at 50yds, but great shooting. And with value priced ammo.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here it is:

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's the varmint version with the 20.5" barrel. And as mentioned earlier, I bought it next-to-new new off the Campfire Classifieds, at a very good price!

Nice, that is a keeper!!

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
BSA
There's a 457 for sale right here in classifieds. Very decent price.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../gonew/1/fs-cz-457-american-22-lr#UNREAD

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
BSA
There's a 457 for sale right here in classifieds. Very decent price.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../gonew/1/fs-cz-457-american-22-lr#UNREAD

Nice, looks like drover jumped on that deal. I may just buy one locally.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
That even tempted me, but glad drover picked it up. Hope he'll give us a report on it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
NAH, they don't light up my happy board.

Won't find one in my place.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want one like Don’s, and a 22” American barrel in .22 mag for my Premium.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by K22
That even tempted me, but glad drover picked it up. Hope he'll give us a report on it.

It will be a couple of weeks before I have it in my hands but I am anxious to see if it will shoot as well as my friends does.

I will also be curious to see your experience with a refinish of the stock. I am always reluctant to try something like that, my skills as a wood worker / refinisher are at a zero level. Maybe just not enough patience but I have never had much luck at it so I may just live with the mud stock.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 7 of 12 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (10Glocks, 257 mag, 300_savage, 3dtestify, 35, 12 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 929 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,088
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.