Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
This question is for the folks who hunt the "big" woods in north central PA. If you happen to bump deer/a deer while moving through the woods and you sit down and get really quiet, do they circle back into the same territory you bumped them from or do they run into the next time zone. The reason I asked is that in my youth while hunting Carbon/ Susquehanna Counties (smaller plots of woods) the aforementioned happened often offering you another shot.

GB1

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I think that's very dependent on the deer and situation.
For example was an older buck that knows what hunting pressure means. Did the deer just smell you and bounce off? Did the deer smell you and see you as well? I think your chances are much higher on a slightly "bumped" deer that's not over used to hunting pressure.
A deer that knows the gig and not only smelled you but also saw you probably isn't slowing down anytime soon

Hook and Book, Shoot and Scoot
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Depends how pressured and how smart they are!

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It never happens for me. I try sitting there because I was told that once that given an hour or so bumped deer will circle back. But it's never worked out so I quit believing it. And yes I hunt the northcentral big woods

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It's been along time since I hunted PA. They may not come back right away, but they didn't venture far from their home territory. Not like mulies. We hunted mostly around Medix Run and Renovo

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by moosemike
It never happens for me. I try sitting there because I was told that once that given an hour or so bumped deer will circle back. But it's never worked out so I quit believing it. And yes I hunt the northcentral big woods

Originally Posted by saddlesore
It's been along time since I hunted PA. They may not come back right away, but they didn't venture far from their home territory. Not like mulies. We hunted mostly around Medix Run and Renovo

Both of these statements ring pretty accurate in my 50+ years of hunting PA deer, no difference if it was big woods or not.

Heaven has a wall, a gate and strict immigration policy.

Hell has open borders.

Let that sink in.....

I Live for Opening Day!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My experience on bumped deer has been how badly you alarmed or scared the deer. Deer that just winded you or busted you from a distance usually will not move very far until they settle down and feel safe again and sometimes will circle back around the same day. If you really scare the hell out of a deer and it gets out of town in a real hurry chances are it will travel much farther and take a longer time to settle down. You probably wont find that deer in the same area as you jumped it until it has spent at least a night in the woods to forget about the confrontation.

"Individual liberty depends on keeping government under control" Ronald Reagan

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
it's been about 11 - 12 years since i still-hunted big woods, but i would say no.

most of the deer stay still, until you are walking straight at them. i can't count how many deer stayed still while i was still hunting. how many deer that stayed still that i never knew of? i betcha it is alot!!!

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 1minute, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,466 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,881
Posts18,518,198
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.