Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I didn't like it the 1st time I watched it. Probably for the same reasons as the OP. But I've seen it several times since and like it more every time. Still not sure it's a top 10 for me, but it is a very good movie.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Critic’s picks don’t mean squat to me!😀 Nor do academy awards!
Christ, I grew up watching Westerns with my Old Man. He was my hero, and I found some more on the silver screen.
Duke, Fonda, Ford, and many others.
As you’ve maybe seen on the other threads, many have stepped outta history to make the list!
I honestly can’t say why, but some movies don’t make the grade, and some that the critics don’t like, I love.
Here in this country, we’re allowed to disagree about what we like or don’t like.
Sheesh😀!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Top 10 westerns , sure. Good film.

Location Western NC,
after alot of other places
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ribka
The Searchers was much darker than unforgiven given it’s subject matter

Not all Good movies are meant to make you feel better. They illicit a strong emotional response that stays with you

Yep. The Searchers is pretty darn dark.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Any movie that kills Gene Hackman is a good movie.

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by Diggerman
👍

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
#1, The Outlaw Josie Wales! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Searchers is a dark movie for the 50's. Wayne's character was broken.

That's why I like Hondo, its classic Wayne

Unforgiven was an amazing movie watching it in the theater

Last edited by KFWA; 01/29/24.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
But NO nfl!

I am MAGA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
But NO nfl!
Correct!

IC B3

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I always liked Robert Duvall he’s a no bullschit actor

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Those old westerns... A lot of suspension of disbelief is necessary to get through them for me. Lots of beautiful thin gals, piles of makeup and perfect hair, floor length dresses immaculately clean.. yeah I'm sure that's what the 1800s look like in western towns..
Don't get me started on the endless soundtracks to those movies!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KFWA

Yep. And Searchers is based very loosely on the real life story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Chief Quanah Parker’s mother.

The Searches will always be the all time Best Western in my book, and also one of the best movies ever made. Period. 🤠

And Tombstone, which is 10 times better than Unforgiven, is definitely in the Top 10. Top 5 in my book, for sure.

Unforgiven was OK. But not one of the Top 10 Best Westerns of all time.

The best part of Unforgiven was when Little Bill was taunting the “Duck of Death” while he had him in jail.
And offered him his six shooter. 😂

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by KFWA

Yep. And Searchers is based very loosely on the real life story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Chief Quanah Parker’s mother.

The Searches will always be the all time Best Western in my book, and also one of the best movies ever made. Period. 🤠

And Tombstone, which is 10 times better than Unforgiven, is definitely in the Top 10. Top 5 in my book, for sure.

Unforgiven was OK. But not one of the Top 10 Best Westerns of all time.

The best part of Unforgiven was when Little Bill was taunting the “Duck of Death” while he had him in jail.
And offered him his six shooter. 😂
No no no the best part of unforgivin was the whore who said lil bill had a good name 🤣😂🤣😂

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
CHLINSTRUCTOR - " ... Originally Posted by KFWA

Yep. And Searchers is based very loosely on the real life story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Chief Quanah Parker’s mother. ...

I never thought that Wayne's character, Ethan Edwards, in The Searchers, was "broken."

If one reads about the Comanche raids and depredations of that time period, it is easy to understand Wayne's character and obsessive quest. Edwards (Wayne) was very aware of who the Comanches were and their unlimited brutality and cruelty to white settlers and even other Indian tribes they raided and fought.

If anyone is interested in just what the Comanches were like and how times were in that period, I suggest getting a copy of Empire of the Summer Moon, by S.C. Gwynne, Publ. Schribner, ©2010. It is one of the best on the Comanches I've read. You'll read about not only Cynthia Ann Parker but her sister Rachel Parker Plummer who was also captured and carried off by the Comanches when they raided and destroyed Fort Parker in Texas. Her experiences were horrible, also.

I do not compare Unforgiven and The Searchers because they were two totally different western flicks. I liked them both and thought both were well done.

My opinion.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Digger, please

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by longarm
Those old westerns... A lot of suspension of disbelief is necessary to get through them for me. Lots of beautiful thin gals, piles of makeup and perfect hair, floor length dresses immaculately clean.. yeah I'm sure that's what the 1800s look like in western towns..
Don't get me started on the endless soundtracks to those movies!

And all of the prostitutes looked and dressed like Shirley Temple or Angelina Jolie in the mining camps and western towns in the 1800’s

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by ribka

Digger, please
laugh

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I wonder if there are two different no country for old men movies.

Did the one you liked involve a guy killing people with a slaughterhouse pneumatic gun? The one I saw did and ranks right up there with Fargo as one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of wasting my time watching.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
CHLINSTRUCTOR - " ... Originally Posted by KFWA

Yep. And Searchers is based very loosely on the real life story of Cynthia Ann Parker. Chief Quanah Parker’s mother. ...

I never thought that Wayne's character, Ethan Edwards, in The Searchers, was "broken."

If one reads about the Comanche raids and depredations of that time period, it is easy to understand Wayne's character and obsessive quest. Edwards (Wayne) was very aware of who the Comanches were and their unlimited brutality and cruelty to white settlers and even other Indian tribes they raided and fought.

If anyone is interested in just what the Comanches were like and how times were in that period, I suggest getting a copy of Empire of the Summer Moon, by S.C. Gwynne, Publ. Schribner, ©2010. It is one of the best on the Comanches I've read. You'll read about not only Cynthia Ann Parker but her sister Rachel Parker Plummer who was also captured and carried off by the Comanches when they raided and destroyed Fort Parker in Texas. Her experiences were horrible, also.

I do not compare Unforgiven and The Searchers because they were two totally different western flicks. I liked them both and thought both were well done.

My opinion.

L.W.

LW. Great book and great read. I’ve read it several times.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

649 members (16gage, 160user, 12344mag, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 2,914 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,736
Posts18,495,014
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.