Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Rocky - I've been to Horseshoe Bend >>>steep uphill in a work truck towing a trailer.
Coasting down it you could probably go 100mph.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Shag
My wife and I moved north east of Lewiston after spending 7 yrs in town. Any Questions feel free to PM

Hi Shag

I mentioned McCall quite a while back and we talked about it.

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
ol_mike Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
One thing that has held me up on moving is finding a self storage unit. Nearly impossible in Idaho it seems.
I put my name on several lists and one came open in Weiser after around three months ........
Find an apartment - can't find storage or verse visa.
Seems to have gotten a bit better but not much.

Posted by Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We are in the outskirts of Emmett and the wife and I like it here. We are close enough to Boise, Meridian for major medical and helping out the kids over the hill.
We dont have tons of traffic and dont see to much riff raff all though I know they are here.
We do have a couple Mt Lions hanging around and a few
Rattle snakes that needed killing.
If it wasn’t for the kids and grandkids I would be in Wyoming.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Rocky - I've been to Horseshoe Bend >>>steep uphill in a work truck towing a trailer.
I do not understand why one would pass through HSB en-route from Boise to Id 95.

Yes Whitebird and Lewiston Hills were both MFers before they were rebuilt. More so with snow pack. I saw the new road being built at Whitebird in about 1973 while we were traversing the switchbacks in a Chrysler town and Country wagon w/ a 440 loaded full of people and gear pulling a twenty foot RV. We were on the way to Elk City for a Sheep hunt.

My Uncle used to run from Treasure Valley to N Idaho once or twice a week pulling mobile homes in the sixties and seventies. His wife drove pilot car for him. She would have to drive to the top of the hill and stop all traffic while he negotiated the switchbacks with a 12x60 foot trailer. I can not even imagine.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
One thing that has held me up on moving is finding a self storage unit. Nearly impossible in Idaho it seems.
I put my name on several lists and one came open in Weiser after around three months ........
Find an apartment - can't find storage or verse visa.
Seems to have gotten a bit better but not much.
The common answer around here is containers. twenty foot , thirty foot, forty foot, even forty eight foot by eight. Rent or purchase. Weather tight, secure, store it in RV parking if you have to. Have it moved to a new location as you move.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Certainly a ton of great country and out of doors doings in the immediate vicinity. Can't speak to the town itself. If the paper mill aroma has been arrested then it might be just fine.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I do not understand why one would pass through HSB en-route from Boise to Id 95.

Yes Whitebird and Lewiston Hills were both MFers before they were rebuilt. More so with snow pack. I saw the new road being built at Whitebird in about 1973 while we were traversing the switchbacks in a Chrysler town and Country wagon w/ a 440 loaded full of people and gear pulling a twenty foot RV. We were on the way to Elk City for a Sheep hunt.

My Uncle used to run from Treasure Valley to N Idaho once or twice a week pulling mobile homes in the sixties and seventies. His wife drove pilot car for him. She would have to drive to the top of the hill and stop all traffic while he negotiated the switchbacks with a 12x60 foot trailer. I can not even imagine.
Used to be that US95 from Weiser to New Meadows was a narrow winding road. As bad as Hwy 55 was, it was still better than 95. Since then, they've improved 95 considerably.

The summer after I graduated from high school in '66, I worked for a spray company in Boise, spraying yards, etc. My truck was an old beater with worn out brakes. The boss was too cheap to put new brakes on it. It got scary driving in the hills around Boise. Then he said I was to go do a job in Horseshoe Bend. I flat refused. I said I wasn't driving that truck over that hill until he got the brakes fixed. He didn't say anything but that coming Saturday he took my truck and went to do the job himself. Come Monday, the truck was in the shop getting new brakes. I guess he had a wild ride off that hill with 500 gal of sloshing water and no brakes.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho has been badly in need of a fast north-south highway for 100 years. There's simply no place to put one. It's a narrow strip through canyons with Hells Canyon to the west and high, steep mountains to the east. The 150 miles from Boise to Riggins is impossible. From Riggins to Lewiston is better but still not easy for building a freeway.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There’s plenty of room for a freeway, it will just be costly. Drive around the mountains of Germany and Switzerland, and you realize you can put a flat highway anywhere…..for a price.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Lewiston is not "hot"........13 days over 100 degrees last summer

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/lewiston/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

Not sure where you are, but to compare to Lewiston, Little Rock had 15 days of 100 F or better

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/little-rock/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

I can guarantee you the 100F in Lewiston is lot more pleasurable than 100F in Arkansas.

If you plan on renting until you find something to purchase further out, Lewiston might be tolerable enough. I lived about 50 miles from there for 7 work seasons or so. Decent healthcare at the time (I left in 2017) , I had a minor surgery while up there, good dermatologist, decent urologist.

No fee for parking at the airport when I was there. Could have driven the 2+ hrs and flown out of Spokane but then would have had to pay for parking. Lewiston connects with Boise and Portland/Seattle depending on where you're headed. And TSA was basically a 5 minute wait.

When and if the dams come down, should the rivers return to the pre dam conditions, you likely could wade across the Snake in more than a few places. Pretty sure at the right time of year you can wade the Clearwater most of the year once you're above the high water line outside of Lewiston.

Couple of folks here check in now and again that live in/nearby Lewiston. Maybe they'll post some info for you.

Not sure what you like in restaurant food, but in my experience Lewiston was pretty basic. Down near the Les Schwab there is/was a decent Mexican place. Used to be a decent burger place near Lolo Sporting Goods as I recall. As for fine dining???????????????? Here's a clue, I wanted veal for my birthday one year, went to a well known Italian place there, didn't see it on the menu. Asked the 20 something waitress if they had veal perhaps...........her answer "What's veal?"

I knew folks lived on the WA side of the border near there that hunted ID most years if that tells you anything. And they usually did pretty well. Lots of quail, pheasant, and chuckar if your willing to hunt the walls of the Canyon. Huns up in the farmland too.

I think the best things about aging for the wife and I. No need for any kind of TV to speak of. Documentary stuff like You Tube/ Prime if its dark outside and we have to. And the fact that we have about zero desire to eat out anymore so to speak.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dutch
There’s plenty of room for a freeway, it will just be costly. Drive around the mountains of Germany and Switzerland, and you realize you can put a flat highway anywhere…..for a price.
Can you imagine what the environmentalists would do to a proposal for a freeway through Banks Canyon?

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Used to be that US95 from Weiser to New Meadows was a narrow winding road. As bad as Hwy 55 was, it was still better than 95. Since then, they've improved 95 considerably.
Wow, that's saying something as McCall to New Meadows is no picnic either.

It is one thing on a bright summer day, another in inclement weather.

We will occasionally make the run from home to Weiser, New Meadows, McCall, Banks, Lowman, Idaho City, Boise, to home in a day. Pretty country.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Lewiston is not "hot"........13 days over 100 degrees last summer

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/lewiston/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

Not sure where you are, but to compare to Lewiston, Little Rock had 15 days of 100 F or better

https://www.extremeweatherwatch.com/cities/little-rock/yearly-days-of-100-degrees

I can guarantee you the 100F in Lewiston is lot more pleasurable than 100F in Arkansas.

If you plan on renting until you find something to purchase further out, Lewiston might be tolerable enough. I lived about 50 miles from there for 7 work seasons or so. Decent healthcare at the time (I left in 2017) , I had a minor surgery while up there, good dermatologist, decent urologist.

No fee for parking at the airport when I was there. Could have driven the 2+ hrs and flown out of Spokane but then would have had to pay for parking. Lewiston connects with Boise and Portland/Seattle depending on where you're headed. And TSA was basically a 5 minute wait.

When and if the dams come down, should the rivers return to the pre dam conditions, you likely could wade across the Snake in more than a few places. Pretty sure at the right time of year you can wade the Clearwater most of the year once you're above the high water line outside of Lewiston.

Couple of folks here check in now and again that live in/nearby Lewiston. Maybe they'll post some info for you.

Not sure what you like in restaurant food, but in my experience Lewiston was pretty basic. Down near the Les Schwab there is/was a decent Mexican place. Used to be a decent burger place near Lolo Sporting Goods as I recall. As for fine dining???????????????? Here's a clue, I wanted veal for my birthday one year, went to a well known Italian place there, didn't see it on the menu. Asked the 20 something waitress if they had veal perhaps...........her answer "What's veal?"

I knew folks lived on the WA side of the border near there that hunted ID most years if that tells you anything. And they usually did pretty well. Lots of quail, pheasant, and chuckar if your willing to hunt the walls of the Canyon. Huns up in the farmland too.

I think the best things about aging for the wife and I. No need for any kind of TV to speak of. Documentary stuff like You Tube/ Prime if its dark outside and we have to. And the fact that we have about zero desire to eat out anymore so to speak.

I don’t understand why folks differentiate between TV and internet streamers. It’s a virtue signal. Period.

MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Idaho has been badly in need of a fast north-south highway for 100 years. There's simply no place to put one. It's a narrow strip through canyons with Hells Canyon to the west and high, steep mountains to the east. The 150 miles from Boise to Riggins is impossible. From Riggins to Lewiston is better but still not easy for building a freeway.
Y'all do not need a "fast north-south highway" if you are at all interested in keeping Idaho as Idaho.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Journeyman
Originally Posted by 673
Has nothing to do with the question, but.....When I lived in south east BC we used to go to Idaho cause of the girls and the bars, then more bars and girls, drinking age was 18, next door in Washington it was 21, this was the biggest problem I had when I was 20.

smile the good ole days

Minimum drinking age in Idaho was 19, not 18.

Ah yes, the good 'ole days, and yes it was 19 not 18.

I was a Washington State resident in my teens (Walla Walla), and a bunch of us idiots would make the 2 hour drive to either Lewiston or Moscow to go to the bars.

Rathskellers was one of my faves, got kicked out of there more times than I can remember. grin

Kinda stupid in retrospect, drive that far, get shítfaced, then drive back. SMH

Of course, we were responsible youts - the designated driver wouldn't get nearly as shítfaced as the rest of us. (And that was long before the term "DD" was even coined.) We were pioneers, I guess.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Playboy magazine used to have a drinking rating on college towns all over the country. They'd count the bars and the students and come up with a list of the highest drinking colleges in the country. U of I was at the top year after year. It was a farce, though. UI had maybe 5000 students back then while Wash. State, which was only 10 miles away, had several times that many. Since Idaho's beer drinking age was 19 and WA's age was 21, thousands of WSU students would hit the Moscow bars every weekend night. It really skewed the numbers.
One year, Playboy didn't list Idaho in their ratings. It just wasn't there. Then they said it wasn't fair to rank professionals with amateurs.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Y'all do not need a "fast north-south highway" if you are at all interested in keeping Idaho as Idaho.

Amen

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by iddave

Amen

👍

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by lochsa
Originally Posted by iddave

Amen

👍
That fast East-West one is bad enough I'd guess.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (01Foreman400, AnthonyB, 2UP, 257 mag, 35, 14 invisible), 1,491 guests, and 956 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,067
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.