-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Outdoor Edge. All my fancy fixed blade or folding knives stay home.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Sheister
I have a couple nice custom knives and they are very nice for taking care of an animal, but depending on your budget it would be hard to beat a good old Buck 110 folder with a belt sheath. I find I use my 110 more than all my other knives combined on everything from squirrels and rabbits to elk and moose and it works great every time. When a custom knife will run you anywhere from $250 to $400 or more, a good inexpensive Buck won't make you cry if you lose it in the woods like I have mine a couple times. My buck takes and holds and edge very well and just plain works . The folder sheath keeps it out of my way better than my fixed blade knives so I have it on me all the time. I find my fixed blade knives in their sheath migrate to my pack and are available when I need them, but my 110 is always right on my hip where I can grab it and use it for whatever needs done ...

Fully agree. Except, my "good old folder" is a Case XX Changer bone/brass. It was my five year employment reward. I never go into the woods without it.

Last edited by Reloder28; 01/24/24.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have several McCroskey knives. They are scary sharp!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Olt, Dozier, and Winston. Tims knives seem to stay sharp best.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by DonFischer
When I lived in Montana I had that knife on top. Was one of my all time favorites. It got better when I took it in and had the blade flat ground. No idea what ever happened to it.

Don, I had a Grohmann / DH Russell #1 Canadian Belt Knife from the 1960's. It was my favorite knife. My father happened to be on a trip through Pictou Nova Scotia and dropped in at the Grohmann factory. He bought the knife in the photo in the fall of 1997 and gave it to me for Christmas that year, not knowing it was already my favorite knife. I gave the old one to a friend, and have taken the bulk of the game I've shot here in Montana with that knife. I think of my dad (who turns 95 next month) every time I use it. I find it an essentially perfect knife for game. I've used other knives including small folders like the Gerber LST, but I always go back to the Grohmann. BTW, they do make it with a flat grind available.

For about 20 years, all I used was a Gerber Gator Mate for everything and a scalpel for caping.
But over the past 4 years I’ve been trying different knives including Grohman #1, LT Wright Small Northern Hunter, Benchmade Altitude, Benchmade Steep Country, North Arms Knives Lynx.

So far the number one for me is Grohman #1 followed by Benchmade Steep Country, and those are the only two I have left. I have a Hogue Extrak coming in the mail that I will try this year.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
Some friends were hunting with Hellsaroarin
I offered some knives for them to try out.
The guide liked the Charles May best. Really like it.
D2……always choose it if possible…….as a tool&die maker it is my choice for fine steel
13% chromium 1.5% carbon. Takes and hold an edge.
For carbon steel blades I love to use D2. However, I now grind PSF27, aka: “CPMD2”. Same steel, just made using the CPM (Crucible Particle Metallurgy) process. Results in a much more uniform distribution of carbides in the finished product. It’s simply a no brainer to use PSF27 now. Getcha some.

Did not know it existed. CPM I knew we’ll.
I remember first time I ground CPM T-15……SOOOOO easy compared to traditional T-15
Which you needed CBN wheels to it justice.

I haven’t followed materials as much any more. Did a lot of header tooling and punch press dies in The 70-80s

Did all our own heat treat ……HSS included so needed -160f coolers

Built our own vacuum HT furnaces.

Good times.

I’ll look for the CPM D-2
Thanks

Last edited by 257_X_50; 01/27/24.
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Some friends were hunting with Hellsaroarin
I offered some knives for them to try out.
The guide liked the Charles May best. Really like it.
D2……always choose it if possible…….as a tool&die maker it is my choice for fine steel
13% chromium 1.5% carbon. Takes and hold an edge.
For carbon steel blades I love to use D2. However, I now grind PSF27, aka: “CPMD2”. Same steel, just made using the CPM (Crucible Particle Metallurgy) process. Results in a much more uniform distribution of carbides in the finished product. It’s simply a no brainer to use PSF27 now. Getcha some.

Did not know it existed. CPM I knew we’ll.
I remember first time I ground CPM T-15……SOOOOO easy compared to traditional T-15
Which you needed CBN wheels to it justice.

I haven’t followed materials as much any more. Did a lot of header tooling and punch press dies in The 70-80s

Did all our own heat treat ……HSS included so needed -160f coolers

Built our own vacuum HT furnaces.

Good times.

I’ll look for the CPM D-2
Thanks

Available pretty much at any knife materials supplier. I get mine from Pops Knife Supply

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spent a bit of time yesterday watching it rain and reacquainted myself with knife steels. I landed where I did every time I look at it - a good blend of edge retention, corrosion resistance, and 'toughness'. Found several indepth websites discussing all the currently available steels used in knife making. Plus I don't want to spend $300.

I landed on 154 CM, ATS 54, S35VN steels as a good blend of the 3 characteristics I was interested in. A bunch of good knives on the market. Found a Buck I was not aware of. I've had a Buck knife (112 C) since I was 17 or 18. Pulled it out yesterday and cleaned it up. I quit using it when I started doing more backpack/long day hunts trying to save ounces.

Buck 661

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGray
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't think the knife matters that much. I've skinned deer, antelope and elk will all sorts of blades including a Swiss army knife. Elk hair will dull any knife fast in my experience, regardless of steel. If I have it with me, I'll use a gut hook for cutting the hide. After that, every steel does just fine. Bucks 440 and 420 works just fine. I think Swiss Army knives use something similar. Also used ATS34, 1095, CPM Cru-wear (whatever that is), 154CM, and CPM-D2. The Benchmade Anonimus is my current goto and that's got the fancy CPM Cru-wear.

I always have a diamond rod or small diamond flat stone with me. One huge drawback to me is that the newer steels need diamond stones for sharpening. Gone is the Arkansas wet stone.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
I don't think the knife matters that much. I've skinned deer, antelope and elk will all sorts of blades including a Swiss army knife. Elk hair will dull any knife fast in my experience, regardless of steel. If I have it with me, I'll use a gut hook for cutting the hide. After that, every steel does just fine. Bucks 440 and 420 works just fine. I think Swiss Army knives use something similar. Also used ATS34, 1095, CPM Cru-wear (whatever that is), 154CM, and CPM-D2. The Benchmade Anonimus is my current goto and that's got the fancy CPM Cru-wear.

I always have a diamond rod or small diamond flat stone with me. One huge drawback to me is that the newer steels need diamond stones for sharpening. Gone is the Arkansas wet stone.
Yep. The new “super” stainless steels can be a challenge for the everyday hunter to sharpen. Pretty much why I stick with CPM154 and PSF27. The CPM 154 IS one of the super stainless steels but is sharpenable by most folks that use it. You get much higher on that super stainless ladder and it can get iffy. Of course, heat treating, individual edge geometry and other items get thrown into the mix as well.

My blades are sharpened with diamond sharpeners when they leave my shop.

Last edited by Godogs57; 01/29/24.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
My little Benchmade Bugout handles everything. Small and light. Perfect for the far back country.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Freaking killer thread...saving MANY of these comments for posterity...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by taz4570
My little Benchmade Bugout handles everything. Small and light. Perfect for the far back country.

This. Not sexy to look at, but pure function at a reasonable price.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Nice!

Thanks! I field dressed 6-7 deer with it last year and used it for some skinning as well. I may have stropped it on leather once or twice during the season but it's held it's edge through those animals. It is ready for it's first touch up on a stone now, but I've been more impressed with this one than any I've used to date.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by taz4570

I could like that alot. I think a 3ish inch blade is perfect. I like clip point for gutting but a drop point is better, to me anyway, for skinning.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F

Nice!

Thanks! I field dressed 6-7 deer with it last year and used it for some skinning as well. I may have stropped it on leather once or twice during the season but it's held it's edge through those animals. It is ready for it's first touch up on a stone now, but I've been more impressed with this one than any I've used to date.
Beautiful knife. Which pattern is that?

Thanks.

Frank

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lee referred to it as a B&T when he listed it. I purchased it from him here on the 'fire in 2019. I'd buy more of his knives, but haven't seen anything listed from him for a few years now.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by fshaw

Nice!

Thanks.

Frank
Originally Posted by fshaw

Nice!

Thanks.

Frank

A takeoff on Bob Dozier’s Buffalo River Hunter. A pretty common style among knifemakers because it works wonderfully with just about any task.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

314 members (17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 25 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,073 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,125
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.