Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Surprised Tikka is not doing WMRs......anyone heard why?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Same here. I have the .17HMR T1x and just assumed the .22WMR was part of their catalog. Could be just pure economics of market size vs. manufacturing investment required. Or maybe other priorities.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wreckster84
Same here. I have the .17HMR T1x and just assumed the .22WMR was part of their catalog. Could be just pure economics of market size vs. manufacturing investment required. Or maybe other priorities.

Probably not a whole lot of interest in the 22WMR. But with that being said, it's weird that CZ makes the 457 in one, as does the Ruger RAR?? I know the T1x 22lr sells like hotcakes, so that is probably where they are focusing their efforts on.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The Ruger RAR is made in 22mag. They have 2 barrel lengths. Mine shoots really well with Hornady 30gr.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yes, most major mfg do seem to offer models in WMR, no doubt sales are higher in 22LR, and perhaps in HMR.

One would think the WMR has enough demand to justify a model or two, given the fit the HMR barrels on their actions.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
My guesstimate is that Tikka is selling every T1x 22 LR and 17HMR they can make right now. If that is the case it doesn't make economic sense to produce something that there is not as much demand for.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I cannot disagree, but if they can increase mfg capacity........I look at all the chamberings they make in Centerfire now.....

It's nice to have choices, many Tikka users match accuracy of say CZ, etc. No doubt the WMR market is perhaps smaller. IDK the ammo sales of HMR vs WMR, but that might be interesting to know.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
65BR: My Browning T-Bolt Varmint in 22 Magnum shoots very well indeed.
With todays "improved" 22 magnum ammunitions I have used this caliber a lot more in the last few years than I did during the early part of this century.
I would guesssurmise the 17 HMR ammunition "outsells" the 22 Magnum ammunition by at least 7 to 1!
Maybe as much as 10 or 15 to 1?
I also would be interested in the actual figgers.
Long live rimfires!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
The Ruger RAR is made in 22mag. They have 2 barrel lengths. Mine shoots really well with Hornady 30gr.

Those RAR's are great rifles. The one I had was very accurate, as are the couple that my buddies have. There's not a whole lot to not like about the Ruger rimfire. The magazine is a proven design, that is flush mount, the sights are good (if you get one with sights), and the scope mounting system is good. Triggers aren't too bad, but the action sounds like a zipper, when you run the bolt. I'm sure a Tikka T1x would be great, but when there are other manufactures out there producing good 22WMR's, why overthink it?? I'd just buy a RAR, CZ, or maybe a Browning T-bolt. I recently saw a beautiful, like new, maple stocked T-bolt the other day, for $700.00 that I almost bought, and I already have a good 22WMR.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I built a 22mag off a tikka t1x 17 hrm, used a shilen barrel for the build

IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
With todays "improved" 22 magnum ammunitions I have used this caliber a lot more in the last few years than I did during the early part of this century.
I would guesssurmise the 17 HMR ammunition "outsells" the 22 Magnum ammunition by at least 7 to 1!
Long live rimfires!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG - yeah, I actually emailed CCI to try getting some ballpark info on that market share/ratio, not asking for specifics, but no doubt just like the Creedmore, the 17 really has a following. Nothing against it, but I like the heavier bullets in the WMR, and if not mistaken, it seems from reports the 17 is bad in the wind. No doubt they are very accurate, albeit also VERY destructive with many ammo choices on say tree squirrels, even head shots. Not trying to do prairie dog damage on edible game. I do a fair share of field work with 22 LR but do have times where the WMR is preferred. Never heard of a bad shooting Browning, of any kind...was eyeing those T-bolts a long time, and the WMR looked very intriguing. I hear they can use a trigger job, and some may not like the magazines as much as say a Ruger, but other than that, very light, and accurate. The stock design works well.......should have picked up one or more of various ones when they were clearing them out a few years back and much lower prices than now. The CZ 457 looks interesting, and even in the Varmint model.

BSA, I have a nice shooting Predator RAR......trigger spring changed, quite sweet. Ruined many squirrels day. Yes, CZ's are good and others. The Tikka has nice ergos for me when I have handled.

Steve, that sounds interesting, it seems IIRC, the Shilen has a good reputation for rimfire barrels, would like to hear about your results.

I can understand folks liking the 17 for small groups, and we could only wish to enjoy the same Quality precision ammo, across the board by the mfg, which would give a boost to sales of new rifles as well. Many Good options, but not so many 'Great' options, consistently. Extreme spread seems to be a culprit, IDK why ammo mfg cannot tighten up the ES and SD so accuracy would be substantially improved especially as ranges near and exceed 100 yds. No doubt a few folks get great accuracy with say Hornady 30s, though I feel all else equal a 40 would be a good place to be in the WMR for a variety of applications.

A guy did extensive testing, results on rimfire central website, out to 200 yds, and the ES was quite shocking on the WMR. That said, many rifles will give close to MOA at 100 yds, and a few inches less drop than a LR.

Last edited by 65BR; 02/01/24.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by steveredd1
I built a 22mag off a tikka t1x 17 hrm, used a shilen barrel for the build

Hows it shoot? Im interested in going down the same road.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Long live rimfires!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG - yeah, I actually emailed CCI to try getting some ballpark info on that market share/ratio, not asking for specifics, but no doubt just like the Creedmore, the 17 really has a following. Nothing against it, but I like the heavier bullets in the WMR, and if not mistaken, it seems from reports the 17 is bad in the wind. No doubt they are very accurate, albeit also VERY destructive with many ammo choices on say tree squirrels, even head shots. Not trying to do prairie dog damage on edible game. I do a fair share of field work with 22 LR but do have times where the WMR is preferred. Never heard of a bad shooting Browning, of any kind...was eyeing those T-bolts a long time, and the WMR looked very intriguing. I hear they can use a trigger job, and some may not like the magazines as much as say a Ruger, but other than that, very light, and accurate. The stock design works well.......should have picked up one or more of various ones when they were clearing them out a few years back and much lower prices than now. The CZ 457 looks interesting, and even in the Varmint model.

BSA, I have a nice shooting Predator RAR......trigger spring changed, quite sweet. Ruined many squirrels day. Yes, CZ's are good and others. The Tikka has nice ergos for me when I have handled.

Steve, that sounds interesting, it seems IIRC, the Shilen has a good reputation for rimfire barrels, would like to hear about your results.

I can understand folks liking the 17 for small groups, and we could only wish to enjoy the same Quality precision ammo, across the board by the mfg, which would give a boost to sales of new rifles as well. Many Good options, but not so many 'Great' options, consistently. Extreme spread seems to be a culprit, IDK why ammo mfg cannot tighten up the ES and SD so accuracy would be substantially improved especially as ranges near and exceed 100 yds. No doubt a few folks get great accuracy with say Hornady 30s, though I feel all else equal a 40 would be a good place to be in the WMR for a variety of applications.

A guy did extensive testing, results on rimfire central website, out to 200 yds, and the ES was quite shocking on the WMR. That said, many rifles will give close to MOA at 100 yds, and a few inches less drop than a LR.

Steve probably has the best suggestion, if you have to have the Tikka. I'll bet they shoot damn well with a Shilen barrel too. From what I've seen with the 22wmr, they can be damn accurate when you use the new pointy poly tipped bullets. My chucketer loves the Rem accutip. I remember the first time I tried that ammo, it shot a 3/8" 10 shot group at 50 yards. Does quite well at 100 too. Good luck with your search!!

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
My Sako Quad with it's 22mag. barrel shooting Win. Super X 40gr. hp's will surprise you. I tried to find the targets I shot with it, but can't find them. At 100yds. .75" groups were quite numerous. Some under that and some over that, but overall it will hang with the best of them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
My Sako Quad with it's 22mag. barrel shooting Win. Super X 40gr. hp's will surprise you. I tried to find the targets I shot with it, but can't find them. At 100yds. .75" groups were quite numerous. Some under that and some over that, but overall it will hang with the best of them.

My ex girlfriend in Oregon had a Ruger 77/22 laminate that would drive tacks with cci 40gr hp's. I'm talking very impressive groups from that rifle. If I could have bought that rifle from her, I would have been all over it!!! That rifle would make my 17HMR's nervous..

BSA MAGA
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff - those WW JHPs were a standard for accuracy in WMR, no doubt some guns like, very much the Vmax or Accutips for accuracy. I think I would prefer a stouter bullet for avoiding meat destruction and higher downrange impact and penetration on say Coyotes. I am sure the 30s will get the job done with shot placement that allows reaching vitals.

The old 77/22s were very good shooters, a few folks would shim the bolts (as/if needed) on say the Hornets, and get sub 1/2 MOA with preferred handloads.

Enjoying the feedback, thanks.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 65BR
Good stuff - those WW JHPs were a standard for accuracy in WMR, no doubt some guns like, very much the Vmax or Accutips for accuracy. I think I would prefer a stouter bullet for avoiding meat destruction and higher downrange impact and penetration on say Coyotes. I am sure the 30s will get the job done with shot placement that allows reaching vitals.

The old 77/22s were very good shooters, a few folks would shim the bolts (as/if needed) on say the Hornets, and get sub 1/2 MOA with preferred handloads.

Enjoying the feedback, thanks.

For sure. For the longest time my buddy used his 22wmr Ruger American rimfire on yotes, and used the heavy Federal jhp's. The 50gr jacketed hollow points. They work great on yotes, without much pelt damage. He's also a state licensed trapper, so he sells the pelts. I've seen those heavy Federals drop yotes in their tracks.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Had a lovely Win 94/22M Deeluxxx for a spell that shot very well. Dunno why I bought it, ‘cause the cartridge bores me greatly.

Dan the Hornet Man

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Had a Cooper 57M and a Savage/Anschutz 54 sporter in .22WMR that were as accurate as any .17hmr I’ve owned (Cooper and Tikka) I have an A-Bolt .22WMR that I keep for sentimental reasons but I’m at a place where if I can’t do it with a .22lr , I’ll go to .223. No more hornets or other tween cartridges.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Had a Cooper 57M and a Savage/Anschutz 54 sporter in .22WMR that were as accurate as any .17hmr I’ve owned (Cooper and Tikka) I have an A-Bolt .22WMR that I keep for sentimental reasons but I’m at a place where if I can’t do it with a .22lr , I’ll go to .223. No more hornets or other tween cartridges.

Those Coopers are beautiful rifles too, but dang they are spendy. One 22 mag that no one has mentioned is the Marlin bolt action. Those always seemed to shoot real well. But the OP is looking for a Tikka. If he bought a 17HMR, and then replaced the barrel, that would probably be the best option. Or he can wait and see if Tikka brings one out soon? That could be a long wait though.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,300 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,507
Posts18,472,347
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.