Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've been feeling the urge for another range toy and I'd always thought a model 1892 is a very sleek little lever action. I'm my opinion, the Browning B92s are the finest Model 1892s ever made.

I could probably make myself satisfied with a .44 mag version. But what I'd really like is a .357. A .357 Model 92 just seems particularly proper for a sleek little lever action carbine such as an 1892. But the .357s are Unicorns--hard to find.

Actually, I'd like a lever rifle chambered for a straight walled cartridge that can be loaded with carbide dies in order to avoid all the case lube stuff that's necessary with a bottle necked cartridge.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has a B92, either in .44 mag or .357. I'm about to blow up my wallet to buy one and I want to know if they're worth the tariff.

What is the rifling like in the barrel? Do they handle hard cast bullets? What's their accuracy like.

Currently, I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30, an older Marlin in 30-30, and a Savage 99 in .243. They're all good rifles. But what I really want is a '92 in .357.

What can you good folks on the Hunters Campfire tell me about them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hi Bristoe,
I have had one in 44 mag for quite some time now. I adore this little thing. So easy and handy to grab or point and tote. The action itself is tighter than a 94 or some other models. If picking any nits the loading gate can be a little stubborn. A trick is to come just off of full closed on the lever and it feeds easier. It is one rifle I don't reload for but is very accurate with the right ammo.
The Hornady 225grain LeverRevolution shoots extremely well but I wasn't a fan of its performance on game. I tried lighter bullets, the steel butt plate will make you think about it, but anything lighter than 225 grain starts spraying. Under 200grains got crazy wild. Typical 240 weight or up - shoot very well.
I think i paid $500 for mine and am glad I bought it when I did.

Get one - you won' t be sorry. You can shoot it a bunch with even a modest jacket on. A T-shirt is what I had my ex S-I-L wear when I let him unload a full magazine :-).

Oh one thing. if carrying without gloves on beware a wedding ring. Mine has scratched up my stock a fair bit.

I

Last edited by kenjs1; 01/30/24.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a unfired B92 in .357 that I would consider selling. Send me a PM if you are interested.

If God can get by on 10%, why does the government need 90%
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Some interesting tid bits re bore size, rifling, etc here
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-442466.html

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=kenjs1
Oh one thing. if carrying without gloves on beware a wedding ring. Mine has scratched up my stock a fair bit.
[/quote]

Good advice. It's one reason why my gold band resides in the safe and I wear a Qalo silicone ring instead. Worth considering.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Had a B92, sold it because feeding multiple types of factory 44 mag was inconsistent. Went with a Marlin and haven't looked back. The 92 did carry better and was lighter.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've been feeling the urge for another range toy and I'd always thought a model 1892 is a very sleek little lever action. I'm my opinion, the Browning B92s are the finest Model 1892s ever made.

I could probably make myself satisfied with a .44 mag version. But what I'd really like is a .357. A .357 Model 92 just seems particularly proper for a sleek little lever action carbine such as an 1892. But the .357s are Unicorns--hard to find.

Actually, I'd like a lever rifle chambered for a straight walled cartridge that can be loaded with carbide dies in order to avoid all the case lube stuff that's necessary with a bottle necked cartridge.

Anyway, I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has a B92, either in .44 mag or .357. I'm about to blow up my wallet to buy one and I want to know if they're worth the tariff.

What is the rifling like in the barrel? Do they handle hard cast bullets? What's their accuracy like.

Currently, I have a Winchester '94 in 30-30, an older Marlin in 30-30, and a Savage 99 in .243. They're all good rifles. But what I really want is a '92 in .357.

What can you good folks on the Hunters Campfire tell me about them?

Bristoe;
Good afternoon sir, I hope your part of Kentucky is getting decent weather and overall the day behaves for you folks.

With the understanding up front that I've wanted a 92 ever since I got to handle a school friend's father's 92 in .44-40. Despite it having a gumwood stock that was stained nearly black, no bluing and a fairly worn action, I loved everything about it.

In the early '80's a gun shop I frequented got in one of the first run B92s and I recall being very favorably impressed with it.

To slake my thirst for a '92, I bought in no particular order a 1903 94, then a 1977 94, then a 1901 94 and finally a 1958 94, all of which held their own charm, but weren't 92's....

There were a couple 336 Marlins in the middle too, but I digress.

Somewhere in the early '90's a buddy picked up one of the early model 92s in .44 Mag and I connected it to another friend who was looking for a saddle gun. I want to say I only loaded 270gr Speers for it, thought it beat me quite excessively the few times I shot it, but again it was slicker than proverbial snot on a doorknob.

Fast forward a few more years and I began to look in earnest for a .357Mag 92, either a B92 from the original runs, that is to say without the safety or a Chiappa 92 clone as they were said to be faithful copies.

I did handle a Rossi too Bristoe, but could not get past the goofy safety, though I'm sure it's a wonderful rifle.

Anyways in the fullness of time, the first one I found was a Chiappa .357 Trapper in nearly new condition, for which I paid the exorbitant asking price without blinking. To this day have zero regrets for doing so.

[Linked Image]

Mostly it sits on the seat of the pickup, beside a scoped .223, whenever I'm up in the mountains firewood cutting, mushroom picking or scouting.

I've used it for the shooting night during our gun club's annual Hunter Safety Course and there's not been a single time I've brought it out that someone hasn't offered to buy it from me.

To me that's the real fun of a .357 carbine, they're just a whole lot of fun to shoot.

Mine runs .38Spl easily, though for sure the sights are not set for them, so I have to tell the students to aim high, etc.

If you can make a deal on the B92 in .357Mag that the chap above me has posted, I'd be very surprised if you aren't entirely happy with it.

Oh, lastly on the subject of .357 Mag in a rifle, we just chronoed some loads out of a Henry today and were getting 1800fps out of a 158gr. That's not terribly far behind a .30-30 with a 20" barrel, which going off of memory is good for about 2000fps with a 170gr.

Hope that helped somewhat at least sir.

Good luck with your quest whichever way you decide.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I really appreciate all the replies.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’d just go ahead and get a Rossi for about $600 and start shooting. They’re easy to find and cheap. If you enjoy the experience, keep looking and buy a B92 when you eventually find one. Then you can sell the Rossi for probably more than you paid for it or keep it and have two. The safety is an easy fix as that it’s easily removed leaving a small hole in the top of the bolt, or you can put a little button, or better yet, receiver sight in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you can get past the safety, the Rossi rifles are nice units.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
That's the gun I kick myself over the most for ever selling it. I had one in .44 Magnum back in the 1980s. I hate to be reminded of it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JoeBob
I’d just go ahead and get a Rossi for about $600 and start shooting. They’re easy to find and cheap. If you enjoy the experience, keep looking and buy a B92 when you eventually find one. Then you can sell the Rossi for probably more than you paid for it or keep it and have two. The safety is an easy fix as that it’s easily removed leaving a small hole in the top of the bolt, or you can put a little button, or better yet, receiver sight in it.

I understand wanting the Browning, but JoeBob has given some sound advice. The last Rossi I bought was a 357 and had the safety. It is easy to ignore, and I don't even notice it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I’ve had a craving for a newer 92 takedown carbine with the octagon barrel for a while.

Make mine 45 Colt.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Had a BL22 at one time fun lil gun

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Somebody makes a hole plug to delete the safety if desired , on the Rossi's. The look a little better then. My first Rossi 92 was a pre safety 44 & it gave good service. I now have a current production 357 Trapper & it's a lot of fun, works great. The receiver lines & machining leave a bit to be desired, but that's just me.

Would like to have clean original 92 Carbine converted & rebored to 357Mag, but just don't want one enough to pay the bill.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by JoeBob

I understand wanting the Browning, but JoeBob has given some sound advice. The last Rossi I bought was a 357 and had the safety. It is easy to ignore, and I don't even notice it.
I had two Rossi 92s (.44 Magnum and .357 Magnum) back in the 1980s, too. No safety. Identical to the Winchester 92. Another two I kick my self over ever selling.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by gunzo
Somebody makes a hole plug to delete the safety if desired , on the Rossi's. The look a little better then. My first Rossi 92 was a pre safety 44 & it gave good service. I now have a current production 357 Trapper & it's a lot of fun, works great. The receiver lines & machining leave a bit to be desired, but that's just me.

Would like to have clean original 92 Carbine converted & rebored to 357Mag, but just don't want one enough to pay the bill.
I've got an original in .44-40.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Jealous.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My father had one in 44 mag, I think he paid $299! Be prepared to shell out some money. Good luck in your search!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bristoe,

t185 just sent me some pics of a pristine B92 in 357 with a fair price. IMHO, it's your Unicorn. Go for it!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (1234, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,524 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,086
Posts18,482,842
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.