Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Have a Japanese sword that I bought 20 years back. Have a local guy looking for this type of thing and am looking for someone knowledgeable about these things that I can send pics to so that I can come up with a price. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by 222ND; 01/30/24.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
you think rifle looneys are odd--

No way to put a figure on it without looking,, but there are a lot of examples on the internet. Look up Japanese war swords.

Thing to remember that the war swords, although resembling a Samauri are not really. They are officer swords, and basically two types Naval and Army,, Navy are longer and have a Damacus pattern in them, but they are not hand made., Officer swords are shorter with greenish scabbards. The are still what they are, but the hand made Samauris will have the maker of the sword, which can be seen by removing the retaining pin and comparing the inscriptions on the tang with know literature sources.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
That's one of those subjects that you'd better know what you're doing. You can make a huge monetary mistake either by selling too cheap or buying too high.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The story bout how your ancestor captured it on Iwo is worth more than the sword.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Pablo Ku ntz. Unique Japan Eliminate the space between the u n

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Japanese swords cover a lot of possibilities.

Unless it is one of the most commonly issued WWII swords of which there are certainly more than two types & some of which were indeed hand made like the “samurai” type. It would really take a “hands on” appraisal by an expert.

The green saya with the painted aluminum handle is factory mass produced for non-commissioned officers. That type could be evaluated by pictures.

I see nothing in your original post that implies it even is a WWII bring back.

222ND Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’d like to send pics to a knowledgeable sword guy.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 222ND
I’d like to send pics to a knowledgeable sword guy.

Join bladeforums.com and go to the knife identification forum.

Might hafta pay ta join, but cheaper than anything else you'll find.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
P.m. sent

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
ive got one my grandpa took off a jap officer on the canal. grandpa carried the scar it gave him on his arm his whole life. I dont care what its worth,but knowing what he went through on the islands he was on, makes the sentimental value, priceless

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Contact "Mike" on Pawn Stars. He knows all about them.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Yes some of the real ones were taken by military that were held in families for generations, most never made it back home. Also many saber types were issued, without the longer handle.
If you send pictures remove the pin holding the handle, and send pictures of the markings on the tang.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Contact Ray Singer on Swords of Japan. No judgement zone. He will take care of you and tell you the truth.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
My dad brought back a Samurai sword from the war. I took it to an expert. He pushed on a few of the little bars on the decorative handle, and removed the handle. There on the steel shaft that the handle goes around were the markings put on when the sword was made.
This guy said that the sword was made in 1605. He said it wasn't worth too much, because we kids had sharpened it with a file.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It is worth more if the owner used it to commit seppuku.

If it was used on Americans then I am not sure who would want to own it.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Interesting take.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My dad brought back a Samurai sword from the war. I took it to an expert. He pushed on a few of the little bars on the decorative handle, and removed the handle. There on the steel shaft that the handle goes around were the markings put on when the sword was made.
This guy said that the sword was made in 1605. He said it wasn't worth too much, because we kids had sharpened it with a file.

So long as you didn't scratch too deeply while filing on it, there are guy who can restore the traditional edge. It's not exactly cheap, and the deeper the file marks the greater the cost, but in many cases, it can be done.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

Longer swords weren't used for Hari-Kari (the actual cut) Seppuku is the ceremony and ceremony followed by the Samuri

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by acooper1983
ive got one my grandpa took off a jap officer on the canal. grandpa carried the scar it gave him on his arm his whole life. I dont care what its worth,but knowing what he went through on the islands he was on, makes the sentimental value, priceless

I have the Naval and the Army ones, from an uncle that flew P-40s in China. Can still remember his stories. I don't think the swords are worth much, but the memories are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 1936M71, 53 invisible), 2,527 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,337
Posts18,487,680
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.