Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
I’d rather die amongst my family and friends than run away from the city I was born in to play with an old Ford tractor.

LMAO.

I'd rater live with my family. Have at it in your city.

Camp is where you make it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by shaman
My wife grew up in McCreary County, KY. It's just down on the KY/TN border.

It took the better part of a decade for me to start fitting in. I had the wrong last name (it was furn sounding) I had the wrong accent. I was the wrong religion (Methodist was not Protestant enough). It took the passing of my Mother in Law to really get them to realize I was an alright kind of guy. Taking care of her at the end showed them I was of the right stuff.

The Big South Fork Region is one of those places where you can go in pretty easy, but getting out is the problem. You have to have everything in one sock before you open your mouth. It is the last place I would want to bluster into. However, with the proper attitude and the proper family connections, it is the safest place in the world that I have found.

The county where my farm is on the other end of the Commonwealth. It is cosmopolitan compared to KYHillChick's home. However, it has somewhat the same vibe about what it does with its strangers. There are a small number of surnames scattered all over the county. The funny last name thing is not a problem, because Germans settled there in the mid 19th century and my surname is therefore not suspect. Still, it's only been in the past 5 years that I have started to actually mingle with the locals. I finally found a friend that took me around and introduced me. I stopped being regarded as an outsider and my farm stopped being referred to as The Old Ramsey place and instead started being associated with my name. This all took about 20 years.

Somebody once asked how I could feel safe, being so close to Cincinnati. My response went something like "You know when you've got a big ol' fish tank, there's always one big fish that never comes out during the day. However, if you put in new fish, you'll turn off the lights and there'll be no new fish by morning. That's kinda how it is with my neighbors. It's 63 miles from Fountain Square, and by the time you get out my way, it's one little house back a long driveway after another. Inside that house lives a big fish that you never see.

"I live at the end of a 2-mile road, and it's two miles more to the state route, and then 3 more miles to the next, and so on. There are little houses all along the way, and you have to pass all those big fish before you get to my place. You'll never make the whole trip in a day, and after nightfall, you're going to meet the big fish and see what I mean."

This is kind of stuff my neighbors are made of. I don't have any worries.
I love McCreary County. As a boy my dad would take me over to the BSF for hiking, hunting, fishing, camping and so on. Many years later I started working McCreary County. If I could find a good spread there, I wouldn't hesitate to transplant my family from an adjoining county. As a side note McCreary County has one of the densest rattlesnake populations in Kentucky.

NRA Benefactor Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One big question is more about how long you can go without the grid. Cities would be a tough go.

Likely our enemies will try taking out the grid and communications and sit back and watch us take out ourselves and then waltz right in and take whatever's left.

Try this on, since I arrived on the planet the US has gone from 150 million to over 330 million and that's not counting all the illegals in the last 20 years. More people in the same amount of land.

Nowhere will be spared, but some places will have a better chance than others. Face it, we are interdependent. You cannot be prepared for all scenarios. And you cannot hunker down alone.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 300_savage, 31 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,477
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.