Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Added another one to round out the triumvirate of pre-war Colt Officer's Model chamberings. 1935-vintage (with letter from Colt of authenticity and original purchaser), .22 6". As original except an early owner installed King sights. Around 96-98% condition with the slightest bit of muzzle wear on one side. Can't wait to shoot it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Pictured with its brothers, .32 and .38:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
(note the .38 has been restored/ceracoated, great shooter but it's a place holder for one with original finish)

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Awesome colt G..

I have 2 like yours..one is a shooter and one is pristine and leads an easy life.

Those early colt .22’s give up nothing to any other revolvers in my opinion

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
All old Colts are interesting, but I've just never been able to warm up to the old Colt target revolvers. The sights (mainly the front sights) really throw off the esthetics for me.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
They arent esthetic guns, they are target guns.

The beauty is in the design; the front patridge sight holds the elevation adjustment and keeps fouling deflected from the pronounced, flat square surface of the front sight picture.

Shoot a ramp or bead front and the sight fades as the gun is continuously fired as fouling accumulates.

Nice Trifecta.
Theyre really sleepers these days, but their popularity when released were for good reason.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There was an OLD dude who used to shoot indoor bullseye matches when I was in a club back in the '80s. He had one of those Colts that had been reworked by someone, who'd shortened the cylinder (to lessen the jump and had another barrel with a longer shank screwed into it. It was an odd looking thing, but he swore by it, and his scores were every bit the equal of any Hi Standard or M-41 Smith the other folks were shooting. I often wonder what happened to that old sixgun when the old coot passed to his reward. It was an interesting looking gun.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
IC B2

G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
There was an OLD dude who used to shoot indoor bullseye matches when I was in a club back in the '80s. He had one of those Colts that had been reworked by someone, who'd shortened the cylinder (to lessen the jump and had another barrel with a longer shank screwed into it. It was an odd looking thing, but he swore by it, and his scores were every bit the equal of any Hi Standard or M-41 Smith the other folks were shooting. I often wonder what happened to that old sixgun when the old coot passed to his reward. It was an interesting looking gun.

That was not an uncommon alteration 80-90 years ago, at least among the well heeled cognoscenti. Hatcher talked about them in his "Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers". (A damned good book by the way, even if published in 1935. A lot of (most of) the knowledge therein is ageless.)

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well, he WAS of that same vintage, but I must say that those years didn't hurt his shooting abilities. I wasn't into bullseye shooting, but I've always respected those who did it. That's REAL shooting the hard way......

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh Boy. What a nice piece. Congrats, gnoahhh.

Edited to add: Would love to pick up a .38 special version of that model. More than likely would have to be an online purchase, though. Can never find those types of revolvers in decent shape here. They're always beat up or very rough from not being stored properly. However, there is ONE shop where I sometimes get lucky. Mannlicher and I typically hit that one last, since it's the farthest away. I've bought several very nice guns there.

Again, Congrats on a beautiful piece of history.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's a nice add Gary, congrats!

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1927 Colt Officers Model Target in .22. I can't tell you how much I love shooting this revolver. The single action pull is absolute perfection and it shoots better than I can possibly shoot it. My goal is to find its match in .38 Special in the next year.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by GunGeek
1927 Colt Officers Model Target in .22. I can't tell you how much I love shooting this revolver. The single action pull is absolute perfection and it shoots better than I can possibly shoot it. My goal is to find its match in .38 Special in the next year.

[Linked Image]

I hear you, GunGeek!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yo Dirt!! Here’s my 1915 (IIRC) officers model target in .38
Looks faded towards the muzzle in that pic but it’s not at all, and the blueing is in quite nice shape for it’s age
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by Certifiable; 01/31/24.

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dayam, Cert. That's beautiful!

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
A lot of nice old Colts here. I must say makes me a little envious.
One can't beat those old revolvers.

I have a few ........but always need more.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Nice Gary. You have accomplished my dream of the three. I have the 22 and 38 both made in 37. Both right at 90%. If I found a 32 it would have to been made in 37. What are the odds?

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
G
gnoahhh Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, it is hard to beat them. One of the things that draws me to them is their utter smoothness, a certain something that is difficult to verbalize but which is the end result of hands-on craftsmanship.

I can visualize long workbenches lit by big filmy/dirty windows (purposely kept that way for light diffusion) at which curmudgeonly old guys sat amongst bins of parts and created works of mechanical art armed with stones and files (and the knowledge to use them). A method of manufacture long absent from today's world and the root of that "certain something".

The older I get the more I realize that humans have lost their way a bit. Used to be form and function went hand in hand, now it's either form follows function or function follows form. Either way, we've lost.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Mighty nice!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Nice score, congrats!

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Yo Dirt!! Here’s my 1915 (IIRC) officers model target in .38
Looks faded towards the muzzle in that pic but it’s not at all, and the blueing is in quite nice shape for it’s age
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Beautiful!!! They shoot like they look.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I can visualize long workbenches lit by big filmy/dirty windows (purposely kept that way for light diffusion) at which curmudgeonly old guys sat amongst bins of parts and created works of mechanical art armed with stones and files (and the knowledge to use them). A method of manufacture long absent from today's world and the root of that "certain something".
Colt only had a few assemblers that were allowed to work on their target revolvers, one of them was John "Fitz" Fitzgerald himself. When he wasn't out teaching law enforcement, he worked at the factory as a gunsmith, and one of the hand assemblers of target grade revolvers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 358wsm, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 17 invisible), 1,962 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,905
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.