Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
"Inflation" calculated as a % from some past number may (or may not- see below) be dropping. The prices (doubled and trippled from several years ago) caused by past inflation haven't been reduced , or not by much. So now they are counting inflation "increases" based off the newer high prices, not what was 3 to 5 years back. As well as just throwing out several key segments in their calculations to make the pre-determined mark.

That's mathematical witchery. (3 kinds of lies....)

Wages have not increased to match inflation, and those on fixed income haven't seen any increase in that (well a bit in SS, which was well under inflation rate ). Their income purchasing power is greatly reduced.

I know, I are one. Not hurting, but the cushion of elective spending isn't what it used to be, and continues to shrink year by year.

Last edited by las; 02/01/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The economy looks good because people are still spending money. On credit.

The biggest source is helocs. Most homeowners have experienced massive appreciation in home values, and now they are borrowing against that equity at 14%.

Good times.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"Come on man Las"
The #'s that this jetjockey spout cannot be disputed!

Our 'rose colored glasses' just aren't rosie enough it seems.

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Where’s Jetboi

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Raeford
Assumptions made by you as to what I may or may not know regarding the U.S. economy are.....simply priceless.

I'm in the real world, working & breathing it every day, to include but not limited to:

Hiring, firing, managing employees, paying bills, making purchases, capitol investment decisions, handling the bookkeeping/accounting, paying the myriad taxes, signing payroll checks.

You?

Sounds like you need to hire somebody. Funny thing is, my wife does all those same things, and works way harder than me. She also makes 1/4 what I do. Work smarter, not harder.

Last edited by jetjockey; 02/01/24.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by las
"Inflation" calculated as a % from some past number may (or may not- see below) be dropping. The prices (doubled and trippled from several years ago) caused by past inflation haven't been reduced , or not by much. So now they are counting inflation "increases" based off the newer high prices, not what was 3 to 5 years back. As well as just throwing out several key segments in their calculations to make the pre-determined mark.

Unless you have deflation, which is pretty rare- you are correct the prices will never return - the current inflation rate is a snapshot. The only truly lengthy period of deflation was 1930-1933 and a much milder "deflation" happened in 2007-2008 but it was a blip compared to the Great Depression.

Unless someone is at least in the top 95% of income earners (maybe even top 97% to 98%) chances are their purchasing power has been pinched on just about everything but especially in big ticket items like homes / cars / etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You've no clue, seriously, no clue.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin

The biggest source is helocs. Most homeowners have experienced massive appreciation in home values, and now they are borrowing against that equity at 14%.

Good times.

Yeah I've had several friends do just that and I'm face palming thinking "what are you doing". I refinanced mine at the bottom, 1.99% and could pay it off now but that would be leaving a lot of moolah on the table and I invested it in private equity / debt instead and it's returning 20% a year.

O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jetjockey
That author is an idiot!!!

“For example, we have totally altered the meaning of “unemployed.” Get this: You are not “officially” unemployed if you have stopped looking for work despite not finding any work. Meaning, if you are totally discouraged by this so-called “great economy,” then experts stop counting you. They ignore your existence when calculating the unemployment rate.”

This a bold face lie told over and over again to sway the uneducated. The US has been calculating 6 different UE rates for over 30 years, and those who are totally discouraged ARE included, you just have to understand unemployment rates, and what they mean.

https://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

No the “average” American may not understand that, however they do understand price at the pump, prices in grocery stores, prices in heat and electric bills, price of clothing, price of interest against cars and mortgages, depleting valu price in 401k’s plus a whole lot more you vain Einstein.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Osky

“For example, we have totally altered the meaning of “unemployed.” Get this: You are not “officially” unemployed if you have stopped looking for work despite not finding any work. Meaning, if you are totally discouraged by this so-called “great economy,” then experts stop counting you. They ignore your existence when calculating the unemployment rate.”

This a bold face lie told over and over again to sway the uneducated. The US has been calculating 6 different UE rates for over 30 years, and those who are totally discouraged ARE included, you just have to understand unemployment rates, and what they mean.

No the “average” American may not understand that, however they do understand price at the pump, prices in grocery stores, prices in heat and electric bills, price of clothing, price of interest against cars and mortgages, depleting valu price in 401k’s plus a whole lot more you vain Einstein.

Osky

I believe that he's the type Reagan was thinking of when he said something along the lines of "....it's just that so much that they know that isn't so"

FJB & FJT
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Osky

Osky

And we are closing in on the Feds 2.0% inflation rate. Yes, things are more expensive, but that is all Covid related. Covid created a mess. Gas prices are coming back down, interest rates are coming back down, and as soon as the feds start relaxing interest rates, our economy will be 100% recovered. instead of late stages of recovery like we are seeing now. In all these threads, nobody is comparing about lack of jobs, the market going south, home prices plummeting, etc. The only thing people are complaining about is prices, which are now leveling back out. I expect with full unemployment, wages should jump this summer as well.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Buzz
Originally Posted by Calvin

Good times.

Yeah I've had several friends do just that and I'm face palming thinking "what are you doing". I refinanced mine at the bottom, 1.99% and could pay it off now but that would be leaving a lot of moolah on the table and I invested it in private equity / debt instead and it's returning 20% a year.

I’m at 2.9% and could do the exact thing. If one were to listen to Dave Ramsey, he’d say pay it off, but Ramsey is an idiot. Some people don’t understand it doesn’t make economic sense to pay off a 2.9% mortgage with money that makes 8% in the market. Plus, that 2.9% gets deducted on the first $750k.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
K

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
And we are closing in on the Feds 2.0% inflation rate. Yes, things are more expensive, but that is all Covid related. Covid created a mess. Gas prices are coming back down, interest rates are coming back down, and as soon as the feds start relaxing interest rates, our economy will be 100% recovered. instead of late stages of recovery like we are seeing now. In all these threads, nobody is comparing about lack of jobs, the market going south, home prices plummeting, etc. The only thing people are complaining about is prices, which are now leveling back out. I expect with full unemployment, wages should jump this summer as well.

This statement is contradictory, extremely[as far as wages/unemployment vs. inflation]

Covid was the kickstarter, J. Robinette's policies are the fuel.

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
JetJockey is right. That article was pretty economically illiterate or he's lying.

Last edited by RHOD; 02/01/24.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I liked it better when this pedo supporter wasnt polluting these pages with her useless lies

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Every time I buy fuel or groceries I know the economy is totally screwed up. Thanks Joey.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m at 2.9% and could do the exact thing. If one were to listen to Dave Ramsey, he’d say pay it off, but Ramsey is an idiot. Some people don’t understand it doesn’t make economic sense to pay off a 2.9% mortgage with money that makes 8% in the market. Plus, that 2.9% gets deducted on the first $750k.

I'm not sure I'd say he's an idiot, but his advice is certainly dated (stated mildly). A couple of decades ago it was generally passable advice for people who are not poor but modest income and have trouble living within their means. However, in the days of cards that pay 2% to 5% cash back, expensive housing, and with even "beater cars" being far more expensive than he seems to think are obtainable - he really out of touch. I would imagine just about any financial advisor would suggest keeping a mortgage under 5% and investing the cash elsewhere.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Save cattle, farm prices are lower.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
And look at that. 353,000 jobs in Jan. Dec was revised up by over 100,000 jobs, and Nov revised up as well. For the record, I believe Trump averaged 178,000 jobs per month prior to Covid, which was down from Obama’s 215,000 average his last two years.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

366 members (10ring1, 160user, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,760
Posts18,476,494
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.