Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I am looking for some venison recipes to try. I know I can look online or in a cookbook, but I want to hear it from people who actually hunt and enjoy venison. So let's hear what you have.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Let hang 3 days in cold weather. Cut out backstraps and tenderloins. Remove all silver skin and cap from meat. Salt, pepper, and grill to medium rare. Refrigerate leftovers. Eat cold next day.

Hindquarters. Break down groups. Throw a few in the crock pot with beef broth and an onion. Get home from work and put on a bun with BBQ sauce.

Grind up 70/30 with maple bacon. Best hamburger on the planet.

Front shoulders. Smoke and eat like a turkey leg.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Slice of the Wild by Mrs. Mule Deer is your huckleberry.

The very first recipe I tried was the Al Fresco roast. Mrs. FC ate 2/3 of it in one sitting.

Mrs. FC is a vegan.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Let hang 3 days in cold weather. Cut out backstraps and tenderloins. Remove all silver skin and cap from meat. Salt, pepper, and grill to medium rare. Refrigerate leftovers. Eat cold next day.

Hindquarters. Break down groups. Throw a few in the crock pot with beef broth and an onion. Get home from work and put on a bun with BBQ sauce.

Simple and easy is what I am looking for. Thank you so much.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I had some good loin sreaks last night. Wife loved it.
Cut the steaks 3/4" thick. Pound with a tenderizing mallet to a 1/2 thickness.
Seasoned one side with black pepper,onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
Put in a gallon ziplock and shake around to spread seasoning around.
Poured in a dash of red wine, olive oil and allegro Marinade. Shakeup to mix and coat, press air out of bag seal up and put in refrigerator for 3 hours.
In a large skillet coat with Olive oil slice up enough button mushrooms to cover skillet. When the mushrooms were almost tender put in the steaks and sautee about 3 minutes per side. When the juice starts coming out of the steaks they are medium to medium rare. take off the fire and serve.

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have posted this before---- It is very good-------------------------This great dish is named after an old hermit that lived a few miles from my hunting camp, that died by freezing his foot in a bucket of water. Vic Orsini. I never measure when I cook. Slice up sweet onion, green pepper, fresh garlic, mushrooms. Chunk up 1� pound of Venison in 3/4" cubes. In a large (12")cast iron skillet melt a good amount of butter (3/4 stick) and add a little olive oil. Season Veg. with a fair amount of pepper,rosemary,thyme,basil, oregano. Fry down Veg. first without the meat. After Veg. are fried down push to the side turn up the heat and quickly stir fry up the meat and mix into Veg. Add about 1/2 � of a 7oz. bottle of Oyster Sauce ( found in Stores near Soy Sauce). Turn off heat and add a few large scoops of Sour Cream. Mix everything together. This Stroganoff type venison was first served on thin slices of French bread as finger food in my hunting camp, It also goes good over couscous ,rice, or just plain. I've never served this to anyone that didn't go back for seconds. Enjoy --- It's called VENISON ORSINI ---Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Whatever you do, don’t leave the tenderloins in the carcass. Cut them out while the elk is still warm, put them in a large zip lock bag and squeeze out all the excess air. Leave them in the refrigerator for 7 days and then clean all the facia out of them.

Marinate them in teriyaki with some Worcestershire sauce, white rice vinegar and a few shakes of Tabasco sauce for around 2 hours, turning and kneading every 15 minutes.

Take the two tenderloins and season them with course ground black pepper and Lawrys seasoned salt, cut strips of butter long enough to reach full length of the tenderloins and tie them together with string. Seasonal the exterior with more course ground black pepper and put them on a smoker grill at about 400 degrees.

Grill them until the outside is noticeably cooked. Then cut the string and finish them separately until they are medium rare..

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
That looks fantastic.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
I had some good loin sreaks last night. Wife loved it.
Cut the steaks 3/4" thick. Pound with a tenderizing mallet to a 1/2 thickness.
Seasoned one side with black pepper,onion and garlic powder, Italian seasoning.
Put in a gallon ziplock and shake around to spread seasoning around.
Poured in a dash of red wine, olive oil and allegro Marinade. Shakeup to mix and coat, press air out of bag seal up and put in refrigerator for 3 hours.
In a large skillet coat with Olive oil slice up enough button mushrooms to cover skillet. When the mushrooms were almost tender put in the steaks and sautee about 3 minutes per side. When the juice starts coming out of the steaks they are medium to medium rare. take off the fire and serve.
I looked up the Allegro marinade. Is it the "Original" marinade?

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Whatever you do, don’t leave the tenderloins in the carcass. Cut them out while the elk is still warm, put them in a large zip lock bag and squeeze out all the excess air. Leave them in the refrigerator for 7 days and then clean all the facia out of them.

Marinate them in teriyaki with some Worcestershire sauce, white rice vinegar and a few shakes of Tabasco sauce for around 2 hours, turning and kneading every 15 minutes.

Take the two tenderloins and season them with course ground black pepper and Lawrys seasoned salt, cut strips of butter long enough to reach full length of the tenderloins and tie them together with string. Seasonal the exterior with more course ground black pepper and put them on a smoker grill at about 400 degrees.

Grill them until the outside is noticeably cooked. Then cut the string and finish them separately until they are medium rare..

Looks yummy!

IC B3

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wldthg
I have posted this before---- It is very good-------------------------This great dish is named after an old hermit that lived a few miles from my hunting camp, that died by freezing his foot in a bucket of water. Vic Orsini. I never measure when I cook. Slice up sweet onion, green pepper, fresh garlic, mushrooms. Chunk up 1� pound of Venison in 3/4" cubes. In a large (12")cast iron skillet melt a good amount of butter (3/4 stick) and add a little olive oil. Season Veg. with a fair amount of pepper,rosemary,thyme,basil, oregano. Fry down Veg. first without the meat. After Veg. are fried down push to the side turn up the heat and quickly stir fry up the meat and mix into Veg. Add about 1/2 � of a 7oz. bottle of Oyster Sauce ( found in Stores near Soy Sauce). Turn off heat and add a few large scoops of Sour Cream. Mix everything together. This Stroganoff type venison was first served on thin slices of French bread as finger food in my hunting camp, It also goes good over couscous ,rice, or just plain. I've never served this to anyone that didn't go back for seconds. Enjoy --- It's called VENISON ORSINI ---Web
I had to look up couscous... I learn something new every day. My wife loves stroganoff and I am sure this will be a winner.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Barm---- please let me know if you like it--- Thanks Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I like to slice the backstrap in to steaks.

Tenderize.

Marinate n your favorite seasonings.
I use a mix of zesty Italian / Moores.

Put a jalapeño slice on each steak and wrap in bacon.

Season with dry seasons. Tony’s or whatever’s.

Grill to medium.

Fresh jalepenos add a little more kick.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

The very first recipe I tried was the Al Fresco roast. Mrs. FC ate 2/3 of it in one sitting.

Mrs. FC is a vegan.

FC

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ as well as her newer book, "The Wild Bowl." My wife liked deer meat okay, really appreciates that it's not commercially raised beef, etc. The methods and recipes in the above two referenced books have made her very, very happy. I spent most of my spare time from September through the end of December deer hunting (we have a long season in SC). I killed 8 deer. We have one small freezer loaded right to the top with nothing but venison. Absolutely no complaints from my wife about the money or time spent in filling it. A lot of the credit goes to Eileen.

Mathew 22: 37-39

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
PSA: I've seen Moore's and Allegro marinades mentioned. They're made using chemistry set, hydrolyzed soy protein fake soy sauce. Same for Dale's. For a solid level up, use/make a marinade with naturally brewed real soy sauce.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Barm---- please let me know if you like it--- Thanks Web
I wii let you know.

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Tenderize.

Grill to medium.

I have seen several mention medium to medium rare. i think in the past we have been overcooking it.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by barm

Tenderize.

Grill to medium.

I have seen several mention medium to medium rare. i think in the past we have been overcooking it.

If you are going to fry, grill or dry roast venison, the worst thing you can do is cook it past medium rare. It's a very dry, low fat meat.

STRONGLY suggest you get Eileen Clarke's book, "Slice of the Wild" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

Mathew 22: 37-39

barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by barm

Tenderize.

Grill to medium.

If you are going to fry, grill or dry roast venison, the worst thing you can do is cook it past medium rare. It's a very dry, low fat meat.

STRONGLY suggest you get Eileen Clarke's book, "Slice of the Wild" as mentioned earlier in this thread.

YES, I saw you STRONGLY suggested it. I have the book.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For starters I age venison at least 14 days on ice and keep the water drained off the meat. My favorite is fried cube steak and thin cut 1/4" or less fried back strap. IMO, nothing beats fried food.

Life is good live it while you can.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
For starters I age venison at least 14 days on ice and keep the water drained off the meat. My favorite is fried cube steak and thin cut 1/4" or less fried back strap. IMO, nothing beats fried food.
I love diner food.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Wrap some bacon around it. All day, low and slow. ONions. carrots. eat it sooner or later, warm hot or cold. Love it.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Venison STROGANOFF

8 tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 lbs venison tenderloin or steak trimmed of fat and cut into 11/2 x 1" strips.
2 cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
2/3 cup of water
1 package dried onion mushroom soup mix
2 jars of sliced mushrooms drained
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon parsley

In a crock pot, combine 1st
4 ingredients and mix well dry

Add meat pieces and smash around with a fork until all sides are well coated

Add canned soup, dry soup, and water and stir gently

Cook in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours
During last hour, stir in sour cream, mushrooms, and parsley and turn crock pot to high. Add a small amount of water if gravy is too thick.

Serve over egg noodles or mashed potatoes.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If the meat starts out good, there's all kinds of good ways to prepare it for eating. .

My preferred method. Let hang in the hide for a week. Up to 11 days or so doesn't hurt a thing either. If doing it this way make sure the chest is still split open so that any blood is out of the chest area while hanging, and also my advice is to make sure the trachea is removed.

Doing it this way ages the meat the same as hanging skinned, (I think better in my opinion) but doesn't dry out and shrink. Skinning is easy because rigor mortis that sets in quickly after a animal is killed, is gone.

Temperature is crucial, ideally should be hanging in a cooler between 34-37 degrees, but this yr I had 2 hanging in my garage with 1 warm day that got up to 50 outside, just above 40 in my garage, and I just packed them with ice for that one day. Both deer are once again excellent. Buck, doe, doesn't matter. This is the most consistent way I've found to always have very good venison that is not gamey even on a rutting buck.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
ST, I’m going to try the hide on on one deer next year. Just to see.

Semper Fi
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

Mrs. FC is a vegan.

FC

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ as well as her newer book, "The Wild Bowl." My wife liked deer meat okay, really appreciates that it's not commercially raised beef, etc. The methods and recipes in the above two referenced books have made her very, very happy. I spent most of my spare time from September through the end of December deer hunting (we have a long season in SC). I killed 8 deer. We have one small freezer loaded right to the top with nothing but venison. Absolutely no complaints from my wife about the money or time spent in filling it. A lot of the credit goes to Eileen.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Thank you both. It's always great to hear I've helped someone in the kitchen. FYI those books are going to be on sale starting February 15, which also just happens to be the day the next issue of Rifle Loony News hits the internet. www.riflesandrecipes.com Or there's always the old fashioned way: 406-521-0273.
Check them out. Mrs Mule Deer

PS: I keep both those books, plus Tenderize the Wild right by the stove so they're handy. Though tomorrow I'm going to play with a Tex Mex version of Lasagna. If I can get it the way I want it, it'll end up in Rifle Loony News.

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by beretzs

Try it. I've always left deer hang, but skinned. I was dubious about letting the hide on initially, but not anymore. Like I said, just don't forget normal procedures just because the hide is on. Chest cavity split all the way down and no blood left to pool. Splitting the hide down the neck and removing the trachea is pretty important IMO. I also cut the head off tight behind the ears, but I don't think that's something that's important either way.

Temperature is critical. Do that and you end up with venison that is perfectly aged, but no meat loss due to shrinkage, and doesn't dry out.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Oh, and if you cut the rear legs off at the joint to hang like I do, skin a little tag end down off the joint and tendon. Otherwise that part of the hide dries fast tight to the bone and tendon and slows things down getting started when skinning. Made that mistake on my first one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Thumbs up on the 70/30 with bacon. I mix dehydrated jalapeños and some kind of high temp cheese with it also before I package it and freeze. Also, using brisket instead of bacon is pretty awesome too!!

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I really wish shrapnel was my next door neighbor.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

🤤🤤🤤

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here's one that's an old favorite at our deer camp.

Venison with Rosemary

Ingredients:
2-3 lbs. of venison steak, cut 3/8" -1/2" thick. (Trim off all fat)
2 whole rosemary (ground is preferred, if available, 1 tbsp. or less to taste)
Garlic Powder
Pepper
2 cans Golden Mushroom soup
Burgundy wine
3-4 cups shredded Monterey Jack of Mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Place steak in a kettle, add rosemary and seasonings to taste.
Add enough wine to just cover the steaks.
Cover the kettle and simmer on top of the stove for approximately an hour or until tender.
Drain the broth from the steaks and reserve.
If using whole rosemary, strain broth and remove any rosemary on the steaks.
Place the steaks in a Pyrex dish large enough for a single layer.
Mix the broth with the Golden Mushroom soup until the consistency of thick gravy.
Pour over steaks until covered.
Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour.
The last 10 minutes, add shredded cheese on top.

Adjust all quantities to your taste.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For venison steaks, trim off all fat put 3/4 inch thick steaks in a plastic bag. Add 3Tbs BALSAMIC vinegar, a couple Tbs olive oil and a cut up clove of garlic. Shake to coat the steaks and leave in the fridge a couple of hours to overnight. Grill rare.
I have fed this to Bambi lovers and they asked for more.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tenderloins off a dink, threaded on a willow stick hot dog style, cooked over an open fire with lots of salt. Make sure the fire is dead out when you pack out the rest of the dink.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Keep the recipes coming. I have enjoyed reading them and plan to try them. Don't feel intimidated to list something simple. I love simple. I am a connoisseur of diner food and fast food grin

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I like to do cut up tenderloin and taters with a stick of butter wrapped in foil mmm so good

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Different chunk..

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good chow either way! This may be wild hog, I can’t remember.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
We prefer cooked. RZ.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Make a marinade with soy sauce and brown sugar. Add what you like. I usually do garlic, black pepper, onion powder, and sometimes shredded ginger root. It is best to just use what you have and make the ratios the way you like it. The key is soy sauce and brown sugar as the base.

Marinade steaks or sliced backstraps for a few hours and grill to medium rare. If you want to go really crazy wrap in bacon then grill until bacon is done. Experiment some. You can’t mess this up unless you overcook it.

I like venison a million ways, but everyone seems to love it like this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

Try it. I've always left deer hang, but skinned. I was dubious about letting the hide on initially, but not anymore. Like I said, just don't forget normal procedures just because the hide is on. Chest cavity split all the way down and no blood left to pool. Splitting the hide down the neck and removing the trachea is pretty important IMO. I also cut the head off tight behind the ears, but I don't think that's something that's important either way.

Temperature is critical. Do that and you end up with venison that is perfectly aged, but no meat loss due to shrinkage, and doesn't dry out.

I hung our first 2 skinned, when it was warmish, 3rd 1 skin on to help insulate against the freezing temperatures, when was taken.

Paul.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Ice age the venison for 7-10 days.

Cut a 1/3 to 1/2 section of the backstrap. Carefully trim all fat and silverskin. Coat with olive oil. Season liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Smoke on a pellet grill until the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees. Remove from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil. In the mean time, heat up a cast iron skillet a temperature known as D*MN HOT. (It is best to do this on a burner outside due to impending smoke.) Sear the backstrap section for about 2 minutes on all 4 sides. This should bring the internal temperature to around 130, although 125 is fine. Take it off of the pan and let it rest for another 10 minutes loosely covered with foil. Slice it thin, and be prepared to break up fights for the last piece. It will go quick.

In all seriousness, my wife is a very reluctant wild game eater. She finally tried this with an open mind. She said she loved it. And, coming from her, that is saying something.

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Marinate backstrap or steak in olive oil, Dale's Sauce, and lemon juice for a few hours and grill to desired doneness. Or, dump the same marinate into a browning bag with a roast and cook in oven.

Never had anyone not like it. You'll need to play with the proportions a little for your taste. Dales is very salty so go carefully with it BUT DON'T use the low sodium version! My wife likes to use a lot of lemon juice but she can sometimes get it a little tart for my taste.

Start with 1/3 dales and 2/3 olive oil plus one squeezed lemon and adjust to taste.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

Perfect

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Venison Jalapeno Poppers

1 lb. venison steaks cut into 2" square pieces
1 lb bacon
8 oz block cream cheese
jar jalapeno pepper slices
tooth picks

lay each cube of venison on 1 bacon strip
add 1 tsp cream chz on top of venison cube
add one slice jalapeño on cream chz
roll bacon around venison/cream chz/jalapeno and secure with a tooth pick

cook in 400 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes. I use a rack with a pan underneath it.

Note: I like to soak the toothpicks in a bowl of water before using, this keeps them from burning in the oven

Enjoy

Rich

"Dying ain't much of a living, Boy." Josey Wales
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Season with SPG, cook in either cast iron pan or on the grill to temp desired (med/med rare) and consume with sides. Basically it and just like any other red meat I consume.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Come over to the cooking forum. There's hundreds of game preps in the dinner forum.

Favorite is probably a 2-3 lb chunck of backstrap, seasoned heavily with salt 24 hrs before cooking. Put on a cool smoke, 180-200 degrees. When that thing hits about 118 internal, pull it off, get a steel or cast iron searing hot, add beef tallow and sear it smoking for a few seconds per side.

Let it rest, slice and serve.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by HCDH66

Cut a 1/3 to 1/2 section of the backstrap. Carefully trim all fat and silverskin. Coat with olive oil. Season liberally with Montreal steak seasoning. Smoke on a pellet grill until the internal temperature reaches 110 degrees. Remove from the smoker and let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil. In the mean time, heat up a cast iron skillet a temperature known as D*MN HOT. (It is best to do this on a burner outside due to impending smoke.) Sear the backstrap section for about 2 minutes on all 4 sides. This should bring the internal temperature to around 130, although 125 is fine. Take it off of the pan and let it rest for another 10 minutes loosely covered with foil. Slice it thin, and be prepared to break up fights for the last piece. It will go quick.

In all seriousness, my wife is a very reluctant wild game eater. She finally tried this with an open mind. She said she loved it. And, coming from her, that is saying something.

That's similar to what I do. I seldom do steaks anymore and just leave backstraps and parted out hindquarters as roasts. I often brine overnight in ice water with a little salt. then season the roasts before going on the pellet grill. My family prefers Traeger's Prime Rib rub, so tend to use that the most. I remove from grill at 105 and sear to 115-120. It doesn't suck...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perfect Super Bowl appetizer

lay down an extra large and thick slice of bacon.....lay a thin slice of backstrip (cut approximately twice as thick and the same width and length as the bacon) on top of it.....place a scoop of cream cheese on top of one end of the venison......lay 2-3 pickled jalapenos on the cream cheese.....roll into a spiral and fasten with toothpicks.....bake until venison is rare and finish to medium rare on a grille to crisp the bacon - good stuff

or, I really like this meatloaf recipe

https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/meat-loaf-recipe

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
looks like someone beat me to it

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by HCDH66

That's similar to what I do. I seldom do steaks anymore and just leave backstraps and parted out hindquarters as roasts. I often brine overnight in ice water with a little salt. then season the roasts before going on the pellet grill. My family prefers Traeger's Prime Rib rub, so tend to use that the most. I remove from grill at 105 and sear to 115-120. It doesn't suck...

Yep, with great meat, simple is best !

Back straps, for 6;

Paul.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi temp, fast sear, do not over cook !!

Heart;

Let the meat speak !

Paul.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
How bout liver it’s tasty

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Hi temp, fast sear, do not over cook !!

Heart;

Let the meat speak !

Do you use a thermometer?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yes, digital therma pen for small stuff like this & meater 2 probes for roasts etc.

Paul.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
i'm just going to dovetail off what everybody else has said about deer poppers. trappeys makes some pickled jalepenos that say "sweet'n'hot". that and i prefer onion and chives or garlic flavored cream cheese to the OG personally.

Big Ed

"Only accurate rifles are interesting"
Col. Townsend Whelen
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

I hung our first 2 skinned, when it was warmish, 3rd 1 skin on to help insulate against the freezing temperatures, when was taken.

Depends on a persons situation and what he can control as far as temps obviously. I have access to a cooler typically, and would've this yr also, but temps were staying cold enough that I just left them in my garage and it worked out. As long as I can keep them above freezing but under 40, I prefer the end results of hide on.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
That looks amazing!

I agree with you on the fact that I almost never cut up into steaks prior to cooking.

Originally Posted by JGray
[quote=HCDH66]Ice age the venison for 7-10 days.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com][/quot

If ifs and buts were like candy and nuts, it would be Christmas every day.

“The .30-06 is never a mistake.” - Col. Townsend Whelan
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Put it on a stick and sit it over the open coals. No salt, nothing. Then crack a natty light and thank God for being an American and the hunt you just had.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Put it on a stick and sit it over the open coals. No salt, nothing. Then crack a natty light and thank God for being an American and the hunt you just had.

We do that with fresh out of the carcass deer heart.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I met KYHillChick, she was deeply into Elizabethan cooking. She participated in feasts where a couple dozen dishes would be presented to the attendees and everything was done in the manner of the court of Lizzie I.

Among the recipes she brought into the marriage was Henry VIII's favorite venison roast

Henry VIII's favorite venison roast

This stuff is unlike anything modern. The English had a very attenuated range of spices available. Don't expect this to be anything you'd recognize. The first time you try it, it won't taste like anything on this planet. However, 'HillChick has made this numerous times for the family, and it is awesome. I can see why ol' Henry grew to be a fat bastard on this stuff. It's probably meant for Red Stag. We use Whitetail, and it's perfectly suited.

Nothing in the ingredient list is all that off the wall. It's fairly easy to make. It's just combined in a way that suits a palate that hasn't existed in 500 years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tmitch

We do that with fresh out of the carcass deer heart.

Something tells me, you an I would get along just fine while hunting

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Take a back strap and cut into 1” thick slices. Marinate no more than an hour in low salt soy sauce. When meat is ready, fry thick cut hickory smoked bacon in a cast iron skillet until almost done, add chunked Vidalia onion until just becoming translucent. Add venison, cook until medium rare. Put the whole deal on a plate and enjoy. Deglaze the pan with the remaining soy marinade.

Along with this, cook some more bacon diced finely, add crushed garlic, then add to mashed potatoes and mix thoroughly. Serve next to the venison with just some butter on the potatoes, salt and pepper to taste.

Old70

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
When I met KYHillChick, she was deeply into Elizabethan cooking. She participated in feasts where a couple dozen dishes would be presented to the attendees and everything was done in the manner of the court of Lizzie I.

Among the recipes she brought into the marriage was Henry VIII's favorite venison roast

This stuff is unlike anything modern. The English had a very attenuated range of spices available. Don't expect this to be anything you'd recognize. The first time you try it, it won't taste like anything on this planet. However, 'HillChick has made this numerous times for the family, and it is awesome. I can see why ol' Henry grew to be a fat bastard on this stuff. It's probably meant for Red Stag. We use Whitetail, and it's perfectly suited.

Nothing in the ingredient list is all that off the wall. It's fairly easy to make. It's just combined in a way that suits a palate that hasn't existed in 500 years.

Got any pics, of the finished dish, ol' 1 nut ?

Paul.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mom used to always take deer steaks and cut them into pieces like you would for fajitas or something. Lightly flour, salt, and pepper then fry in a little oil until lightly browned. Remove meat from skillet and put a can of Campbells cream of mushroom and a can of milk in. Stir and heat until it’s turned to gravy before adding the meat back in.

Serve over rice, toast, or plain white bread.

I have modified it a little and add sliced onion and mushrooms sometimes. Maybe a spoonful or two of sour cream if we happen to have some.

Not sophisticated but quick and easy, good if not necessarily good for you. Plus it reminds me of when I was growing up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TheKid
I do something similar, except I don’t flour the meat. And I add a big pile of morel mushrooms. Morels seem to pair really well with deer and elk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mongolian deer;

Super easy, amazingly flavourful !

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Mongolian deer;

Super easy, amazingly flavourful !

Ingredients please

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shaman

Got any pics, of the finished dish, ol' 1 nut ?

Sadly no. However, it comes out looking rather plain with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs. It's still red in the middle. That's another thing about Elizabethan food. Presentation wasn't too much on their minds.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the morning..

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Wow! I read this whole thread and I ate a good dinner prior to. My mouth was watering the whole time. Good job folks! I have to say 2 new 99s pics were over the top. I sure that dude can cook! Maybe someone needs to make a 24 hr campfire cookbook?? Great thread!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or in the evening or anytime!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

My wife and I tried the Venison Orsini and we both loved it. Thank you so much for sharing and may God bless Vic Orsini.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't read all the post so pardon if I repeat anyone.

All cuts start with coming to room temperature. Then dropped into a bag of hickory seasoning (brand escapes me at the moment). Let sit for several hours at room temperature, put in fridge for several more hours.

3/4 to 1" thick steaks, chunks of back straps (8-10" long)

Hickory/apple/mesquite Charcoal in a Weber. Use a chimney to start the Charcoal. Let Charcoal get HOT, like 500-550 degrees hot.

Throw meat on grill. Set timer for 3 mins, flip at 3 mins, flip cook for 1-2 mins, flip for 1-2 mins on the other side.

Cut in the middle. That sequence should have a crispi exterior and medium rare center. Or about perfect in my book.

I've also used various dry rubs with the same sequence - Let sit in the rub for 5-6-7 hours prior to cooking. Then cook for the same time as bag seasoning.

I cook all red meat this way - deer, elk, bison, Moose, bear, beef.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Barm--- looks good----- I'm sure you will pass this on to others. Slice and hollow out a loaf of French Bread and fill with Orsini . Great finger food. ----------------- Barm make some and serve your friends --- when they ask how you made it and they will -- don't tell them ---- I't took awhile before I told anyone ---- they could never guess the oyster sauce part. Thanks Web

Last edited by wldthg; 02/11/24.

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will be the first to say I'm not a good picture taker. And sometimes like this time I didn't even think to take a picture until I was going back for seconds. My wife made enchalada's with deer burger the other day. Very good.

I just asked her how she made it........browned the deer burger in taco seasoning and some of her homemade BBQ sauce. When done added rice and green peppers into the mixture. Wrapped that along with shredded cheddar in the enchalada's. Covered with diced tomatoes mixed with some more of her BBQ sauce and baked it. Good stuff.

Edited to add I forgot a very important ingredient. We pressure canned a bunch of black beans a while back, and that was in with the burger, rice, and green peppers.

Last edited by ShadeTree; 02/11/24.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (30Gibbs, 30incher, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 280ACKIMP, 257_X_50, 47 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,384 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,754
Posts18,476,318
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.