Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Put it on a stick and sit it over the open coals. No salt, nothing. Then crack a natty light and thank God for being an American and the hunt you just had.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Put it on a stick and sit it over the open coals. No salt, nothing. Then crack a natty light and thank God for being an American and the hunt you just had.

We do that with fresh out of the carcass deer heart.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I met KYHillChick, she was deeply into Elizabethan cooking. She participated in feasts where a couple dozen dishes would be presented to the attendees and everything was done in the manner of the court of Lizzie I.

Among the recipes she brought into the marriage was Henry VIII's favorite venison roast

Henry VIII's favorite venison roast

This stuff is unlike anything modern. The English had a very attenuated range of spices available. Don't expect this to be anything you'd recognize. The first time you try it, it won't taste like anything on this planet. However, 'HillChick has made this numerous times for the family, and it is awesome. I can see why ol' Henry grew to be a fat bastard on this stuff. It's probably meant for Red Stag. We use Whitetail, and it's perfectly suited.

Nothing in the ingredient list is all that off the wall. It's fairly easy to make. It's just combined in a way that suits a palate that hasn't existed in 500 years.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by Coyote10

We do that with fresh out of the carcass deer heart.

Something tells me, you an I would get along just fine while hunting

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Take a back strap and cut into 1” thick slices. Marinate no more than an hour in low salt soy sauce. When meat is ready, fry thick cut hickory smoked bacon in a cast iron skillet until almost done, add chunked Vidalia onion until just becoming translucent. Add venison, cook until medium rare. Put the whole deal on a plate and enjoy. Deglaze the pan with the remaining soy marinade.

Along with this, cook some more bacon diced finely, add crushed garlic, then add to mashed potatoes and mix thoroughly. Serve next to the venison with just some butter on the potatoes, salt and pepper to taste.

Old70

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shaman
When I met KYHillChick, she was deeply into Elizabethan cooking. She participated in feasts where a couple dozen dishes would be presented to the attendees and everything was done in the manner of the court of Lizzie I.

Among the recipes she brought into the marriage was Henry VIII's favorite venison roast

This stuff is unlike anything modern. The English had a very attenuated range of spices available. Don't expect this to be anything you'd recognize. The first time you try it, it won't taste like anything on this planet. However, 'HillChick has made this numerous times for the family, and it is awesome. I can see why ol' Henry grew to be a fat bastard on this stuff. It's probably meant for Red Stag. We use Whitetail, and it's perfectly suited.

Nothing in the ingredient list is all that off the wall. It's fairly easy to make. It's just combined in a way that suits a palate that hasn't existed in 500 years.

Got any pics, of the finished dish, ol' 1 nut ?

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Mom used to always take deer steaks and cut them into pieces like you would for fajitas or something. Lightly flour, salt, and pepper then fry in a little oil until lightly browned. Remove meat from skillet and put a can of Campbells cream of mushroom and a can of milk in. Stir and heat until it’s turned to gravy before adding the meat back in.

Serve over rice, toast, or plain white bread.

I have modified it a little and add sliced onion and mushrooms sometimes. Maybe a spoonful or two of sour cream if we happen to have some.

Not sophisticated but quick and easy, good if not necessarily good for you. Plus it reminds me of when I was growing up.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
TheKid
I do something similar, except I don’t flour the meat. And I add a big pile of morel mushrooms. Morels seem to pair really well with deer and elk.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mongolian deer;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Super easy, amazingly flavourful !

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Mongolian deer;

Super easy, amazingly flavourful !

Ingredients please

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Paul.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by New_2_99s
Originally Posted by shaman

Got any pics, of the finished dish, ol' 1 nut ?

Sadly no. However, it comes out looking rather plain with a sprinkling of breadcrumbs. It's still red in the middle. That's another thing about Elizabethan food. Presentation wasn't too much on their minds.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the morning..

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Wow! I read this whole thread and I ate a good dinner prior to. My mouth was watering the whole time. Good job folks! I have to say 2 new 99s pics were over the top. I sure that dude can cook! Maybe someone needs to make a 24 hr campfire cookbook?? Great thread!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Or in the evening or anytime!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
barm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wldthg
I have posted this before---- It is very good-------------------------This great dish is named after an old hermit that lived a few miles from my hunting camp, that died by freezing his foot in a bucket of water. Vic Orsini. I never measure when I cook. Slice up sweet onion, green pepper, fresh garlic, mushrooms. Chunk up 1� pound of Venison in 3/4" cubes. In a large (12")cast iron skillet melt a good amount of butter (3/4 stick) and add a little olive oil. Season Veg. with a fair amount of pepper,rosemary,thyme,basil, oregano. Fry down Veg. first without the meat. After Veg. are fried down push to the side turn up the heat and quickly stir fry up the meat and mix into Veg. Add about 1/2 � of a 7oz. bottle of Oyster Sauce ( found in Stores near Soy Sauce). Turn off heat and add a few large scoops of Sour Cream. Mix everything together. This Stroganoff type venison was first served on thin slices of French bread as finger food in my hunting camp, It also goes good over couscous ,rice, or just plain. I've never served this to anyone that didn't go back for seconds. Enjoy --- It's called VENISON ORSINI ---Web

My wife and I tried the Venison Orsini and we both loved it. Thank you so much for sharing and may God bless Vic Orsini.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Haven't read all the post so pardon if I repeat anyone.

All cuts start with coming to room temperature. Then dropped into a bag of hickory seasoning (brand escapes me at the moment). Let sit for several hours at room temperature, put in fridge for several more hours.

3/4 to 1" thick steaks, chunks of back straps (8-10" long)

Hickory/apple/mesquite Charcoal in a Weber. Use a chimney to start the Charcoal. Let Charcoal get HOT, like 500-550 degrees hot.

Throw meat on grill. Set timer for 3 mins, flip at 3 mins, flip cook for 1-2 mins, flip for 1-2 mins on the other side.

Cut in the middle. That sequence should have a crispi exterior and medium rare center. Or about perfect in my book.

I've also used various dry rubs with the same sequence - Let sit in the rub for 5-6-7 hours prior to cooking. Then cook for the same time as bag seasoning.

I cook all red meat this way - deer, elk, bison, Moose, bear, beef.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, 11 invisible), 1,585 guests, and 976 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,547
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.