Hop To
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
lets hear some informed opinions....and uninformed as its going to happen anyway.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've never looked into the reverse mortgage in any depth at all, and rarely even think of it except when I see promotions and marketing for "the product." For some reason, when I saw it mentioned here this morning the first thing that popped into my head was "you will own nothing and you will be happy." That's not an indictment, it's not an accusation, it's not even an opinion...just a statement.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Would be helpful to understand what you are trying to solve for first. That added context would be helpful, as in most instances RM’s are far from ideal.

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I've never looked into the reverse mortgage in any depth at all, and rarely even think of it except when I see promotions and marketing for "the product." For some reason, when I saw it mentioned here this morning the first thing that popped into my head was "you will own nothing and you will be happy." That's not an indictment, it's not an accusation, it's not even an opinion...just a statement.

probably not far off about anything in life...bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by cfran
Would be helpful to understand what you are trying to solve for first. That added context would be helpful, as in most instances RM’s are far from ideal.

cfran...not really try to solve anything, just wondering why they are so bad as a lot make them out to be....bob

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It would probably depend to a great degree on whether you have family and wish to leave them any type of estate.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by duckster
It would probably depend to a great degree on whether you have family and wish to leave them any type of estate.

Pay now or pay later.

I am MAGA.
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by duckster

this....also you would probably still leave something, just not as much......bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From what I have read and heard you need to be very careful about the fees charged to maintain the loan.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Imagine it's like everything else...people too dumb to understand and don't bother to read the contract and then bitch later about how they were taken advantage of

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They're popular with old folks who didn't plan ahead for retirement or have outlived their savings. They own a house and an RM allows them to borrow against it for money to live on. It all has to be paid back, though, and their heirs usually end up selling the house to pay it off. There's no end to the ways that a scammer can get to them, though. A person considering one needs to be careful about who they go to.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Imagine it's like everything else...people too dumb to understand and don't bother to read the contract and then bitch later about how they were taken advantage of

more than likely...bob

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not for everyone. Looks like a great deal - get your money now, owe nothing when you die.

Problem is, it's a very costly type of loan and the occupant still must maintain the property and make repairs as needed. Not like you're living there for free. Most are better off either taking out a home loan or selling and downsizing.

A friend's mother had one. She had a leak in the kitchen, mold, water damage, etc and died without fixing the damage. The originator somehow put a lean on her estate to repair the damage. Made the whole probate process drag on for months on end.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Its a mortgage like any other, to make money for the bank. The bank makes that money from the equity from your property instead of regular interest. That percentage of equity goes to the bank, not you. Might be better to sell the property and downsize, keeping that equity for you self. My folks took out a reverse when they ran out of money for retirement. They missed the real estate market back in 07' 08' when they had offers of over $1.5 mil. Mom wanted to sell , step dad didn't. They ended up with about $400k after it was said and done.
Ya gotta know when to hold em' and when to fold em'.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
My uncle did one. Developed terminal cancer and on his death his wife had 30 days to vacate. He had to keep her separated from his money because she would spent twice what he made so there is that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

cfran...not really try to solve anything, just wondering why they are so bad as a lot make them out to be....bob

Do a little more research, this is a very expensive way to tap liquidity and as others have mentioned it’s horrible from an estate planning perspective. In a way it’s similar to buying annuities, given most aren’t smart enough to fully comprehend the hidden costs/fees.

Ironically when people ask about them, and pardon me but I’m generalizing, it’s usually asked by those that have made poor financial planning decisions and now need money. It’s that simple.

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
My uncle did one. Developed terminal cancer and on his death his wife had 30 days to vacate. He had to keep her separated from his money because she would spent twice what he made so there is that.

so she had to vacate because her name wasn't on the property/loan...sucks but not the banks fault...bob

B
Bob_mt Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Bob_mt

Do a little more research, this is a very expensive way to tap liquidity and as others have mentioned it’s horrible from an estate planning perspective. In a way it’s similar to buying annuities, given most aren’t smart enough to fully comprehend the hidden costs/fees.

Ironically when people ask about them, and pardon me but I’m generalizing, it’s usually asked by those that have made poor financial planning decisions and now need money. It’s that simple.

good points....I will give you my situation.....I don't "need" a reverse mortgage...I own my home, cars, boats...and not talking about old stuff, all 2022 low miles....trailers, tractor etc. don't take ss yet...64+ have money saved to live on ..no debt except living expenses.

going to downsize again. why not take one out? shhitload of equity, don't care if there is anything left, to be used for more hunting/fishing trips. trying to see the downside here....bob

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Seems to me, that a reverse mortgage would be the very last resort.

NRA Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 cfran.

In general, a reverse mortgage is going to be the worst solution to a problem.

I don't have any horror stories. However, I did know a guy who took one out. He died within the year, and the wife was put in an apartment by her relatives and the house was sold. I don't she lasted another year. This was one of those "Apres moi, le Deluge" situations. The old couple was at the end of their ropes and just needed some operating capital to get to the end of the line.

Nobody in this deal was financially literate. However, if it had been me, I'd have pulled my own head off before I signed up for a reverse mortgage.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

193 members (160user, 280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,694 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.