Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by reivertom
Tell me what a bar ditch is, and I'll think on it a while. I've been in several regular old ditches, and got out several different ways. The craziest one was, I got pulled out by a logging mule in the early 1970s. The logger told me what ever I do, don't honk the horn. I asked him why, and he said last time he pulled a car out, the lady honked the horn and his mule got spooked and took off with the car through a muddy creek bottom corn field. After I saw how easy the mule pulled me out, I believed him.

A bar ditch is the small trench created on each dirt road side after the grader has surfaced the road crown for both reconditioning & water run off. Though very shallow, less than a foot normally, it can be quite soft & mushy. On a typical red dirt road, having considerable clay content, your vehicle will easily slide into it and be stuck to the point that it will continually track your wheels despite countersteering.

don't think I have ever seen one that shallow, 2 to 6' more like it...bob

My point was, when dealing with a clay road bed it doesn't have to be deep. Just the angle can get you headed to "the bobwire" with relative ease.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Always thought bar ditch was short for borrow ditch..

Dirt was borrow to build the road bed up..

Ive seen rectangular ponds built in places along the highway.
Don't know that its short for it. But you are right. They are borrow ditches and pits. Where bar came from is likely folks not speaking or spelling correctly which was once, and is now again, pretty common.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
A little obfuscation. Borrow or barrow. Like the wheelbarry you used to haul the bobwaar

There lots if them words. Olcan is another.

And the depty sherrf pult me out

Last edited by kennyd; 02/02/24.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Bob_mt
Tell me what a bar ditch is, and I'll think on it a while. I've been in several regular old ditches, and got out several different ways. The craziest one was, I got pulled out by a logging mule in the early 1970s. The logger told me what ever I do, don't honk the horn. I asked him why, and he said last time he pulled a car out, the lady honked the horn and his mule got spooked and took off with the car through a muddy creek bottom corn field. After I saw how easy the mule pulled me out, I believed him.

A bar ditch is the small trench created on each dirt road side after the grader has surfaced the road crown for both reconditioning & water run off. Though very shallow, less than a foot normally, it can be quite soft & mushy. On a typical red dirt road, having considerable clay content, your vehicle will easily slide into it and be stuck to the point that it will continually track your wheels despite countersteering.

don't think I have ever seen one that shallow, 2 to 6' more like it...bob

My point was, when dealing with a clay road bed it doesn't have to be deep. Just the angle can get you headed to "the bobwire" with relative ease.

You are right......bob

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I learned early in life if I was going to live on a ranch I was going to get stuck every now and then, Snow, Ice , Mud, most guy's fixed up their pickup with fancy stuff Tires, Wheels, Seat Covers, just to name a few, I spend my money on a Good Winch before any thing else. Rio7

IC B2

P
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Not a bar ditch, but a big damn snowdrift!.
Me and my buddies were out drifting in The Old Man’s Scout one evening.
Drifting for you southerners is where you take a 4 wheel drive out, and try to (actually not toπŸ˜€) get stuck in a snowdrift. You hopefully hit it with enough speed to carry you through.
It’s fun if you have a couple of friends and a couple of shovels!πŸ˜€
We were out an a ridge, running through drifts, and I forgot where I was at, trying to climb a bank.
It looked like a straight grade, and it is in most places, but I got halfway up the bank and the ground fell away.
I sank that freakin Scout up to the door handles!🀬 There was no way that the 3 of us were gonna shovel our way outta this hole. Those guys were ready to kill me!πŸ˜† πŸ’€
Not having a winch, we walked to my cousins house and got him to come rescue us with a tractor!πŸ˜€
The Old Man never found out!
Reon

The first time I remember drinking beer I was about 8 and my dad slid his Scout off into a ditch on a gravel road. Nearly turned it over on it's top but ended up at about 45 degree angle on it's side. Dad then said "hold my beer while I lock in the hubs", at which point I did, and when he got out and waded though the mud and the muck I finished off his Miller Lite. He locked in the hubs and pulled right out . So not so much a "stuck in the bar ditch story" but a drinking beer with Dad story . Thanks for the memories Dad... Joe

Doing the right thing is not always the easiest thing. It still needs doing..
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by poboy
The bar ditch is just this side of the bobwire.

That's "bob-war"! πŸ˜‰πŸ‘

You nail it up with "steeples"! LOL!
....or tie it to a post with "balin' war"!

Last edited by MartinStrummer; 02/02/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
Never been in a ditch in front of a bar before.
y'all ain't tryin' hardnuff son

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

Well, I guess the answer is , yes I've been stuck in a bar ditch, I just never heard them called that before. As far as how I got out, I mentioned the mule, and there was a chain hoist, and a 4x4 truck. One time I just red lined it in second and burned and churned my way out, but that was before I was buying my own tires! :^)

Last edited by reivertom; 02/02/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Barrow ditch. Most around here pronounce it bar ditch
Pretty sure a barrow is a pig. Its borrow.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
U.S. Government

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Just last week I cut a corner just above my house a little short in white-out conditions, unplowed state road. Sucked me right into 4' of ditch snow.

The grader guy 50 yards away, doing borough roads saw it - fastest I've ever been retrieved from a ditch!

Last edited by las; 02/03/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Yes. Got towed out.
Was a paved road in Indiana heavily snow covered.
Aussies and snow are as compatable as Aussies and road ice.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
No

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by las
Just last week I cut a corner just above my house a little short in white-out conditions, unplowed state road. Sucked me right into 4' of ditch snow.

The grader guy 50 yards away, doing borough roads saw it - fastest I've ever been retrieved from a ditch!
Damn the bad luck.....................and Praise the good luck, eh???

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
saj Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yes Snow plowing with a 140 G, took a 160 VHP to get me out.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Yes, many times. Been pulled out by passing ranchers several times. Worst one I went downhill for a mile or more with the right side wheels of my J10 in the ditch on a greasy clay forest service road. The opposite side was a very steep and deep canyon; luckily the road was graded into the uphill side. This with chains on all four. Brother was puckered and grasping for something to hold, stomping his imaginary brake pedal. Good Times!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
No. Two track? Yes.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Been stuck in road ditches a few times. Once I got stuck in a DAR bitch was good while it lasted she dang near wrung it off me. That close enough?. It was for glory and quite patriotic cum to think of it. Mb

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 02/03/24.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,252 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,756
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.