Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Though admittedly,I don't gawk at schit,I fhuqking shoot it. Hint.................

You heard it right here folks, pig stink says he shoots Schit!!!

Well, we've seen his rifles too. Some of us here like looking at them, and shooting them. Some of us also like taking care of their rifles, and keeping them in pristine condition. Most of my rifles are in better condition, than the day I bought them. I also burn up more than my fair share of powder, but that doesn't mean I throw them around, and let them soak in a creek bottom.

Shrap, I also know you like Sako's, but probably the older ones.

By today’s standards, AII (A2) Sakos are now old. I have a few and they shoot better with less problems than pig stink says. He’s not the only guy that shoots a lot on this forum, just the only one that thinks he matters most…

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
HR IC

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Though admittedly,I don't gawk at schit,I fhuqking shoot it. Hint.................

You heard it right here folks, pig stink says he shoots Schit!!!

Well, we've seen his rifles too. Some of us here like looking at them, and shooting them. Some of us also like taking care of their rifles, and keeping them in pristine condition. Most of my rifles are in better condition, than the day I bought them. I also burn up more than my fair share of powder, but that doesn't mean I throw them around, and let them soak in a creek bottom.

Shrap, I also know you like Sako's, but probably the older ones.

By today’s standards, AII (A2) Sakos are now old. I have a few and they shoot better with less problems than pig stink says. He’s not the only guy that shoots a lot on this forum, just the only one that thinks he matters most…

Thanks shrap. I guess a rifle made in the 80's is now 40 years old, or close to it. I was talking to gunner500 yesterday, and he said he likes the pre garcia's, but doesn't have much experience with the AII. I figured this one was calling my name and I've been interested in the older Sako's for a while. I had a Sako A7 for a couple years. It was a fine rifle, but I sold it a couple years ago. Personally, I like the looks and features of this older AII over that rifle.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You cant go wrong with any of the A-series Sakos. These actions were the last to be scaled to the caliber ‘family’. The MX91’s had different length actions, but the bolt diameter stayed the same. This carried thru with the 75, 85, and now model 90. Although Sako went with 3-lugged 60 deg bolt throw starting w the 75.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GoWyo
You cant go wrong with any of the A-series Sakos. These actions were the last to be scaled to the caliber ‘family’. The MX91’s had different length actions, but the bolt diameter stayed the same. This carried thru with the 75, 85, and now model 90. Although Sako went with 3-lugged 60 deg bolt throw starting w the 75.

I had a 75 deluxe in 17 Remington and it was small bolt face with 3 lugs, 60 degrees…

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I had no Idea that Sako made smaller diameter bolts after the AI’s. I’ll need to research that. Any pix?

-JW
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had no Idea that Sako made smaller diameter bolts after the AI’s. I’ll need to research that. Any pix?

That's why I started the thread. These guys know their Sako's. I've always admired the older ones. Almost bought a few, but never took the plunge. This one really caught my eye, because of it's size. It reminds me of the Tikka T3x that I love. The bolt body is comparable in size to the Tikka, it is very smooth, just like the Tikka, and I'm sure it's going to shoot as well as a Tikka. These guys here confirmed a lot of this. Even though some say they are nothing like the Tikka, I see a lot of similarities.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
JDK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just looked at both. Hard to compare fairly as one is a short action and the other is not. My Sako is about 3 inches shorter total but the weights are about the same. Also not fair is the Tikka is set up for a different style and has a much larger/heavier scope. Both are stock with nothing being done to either. Slapped a scope on them and shoot /hunt.

The action of the Tikka is significantly smoother than my Sako but is a good bit slopper

There is a lot of plastic on the Tikka compared to the Sako

This is subjective but the build quality of the Sako is a lot better

I have not played with the Tikka as much as I shot the Sako but at this point in time it has been a lot less finicky with ammo than the Sako. All brands and bullet weights that I have tried but if push comes to shove the Tikka likes heavier bullet weights

And finally just going off memory and again hugely subjective is recoil. The Tikka felt recoil is more in my opinion. Maybe stock design, maybe fit to me, maybe I’m nuts but I find the Tikka a good bit snappier. Not unbearable by any stretch but surprising to me

I’d buy either in a heartbeat if they were something I were looking for but I’d also sell one a lot quicker and that wouldn’t be the Sako

Just my opinions from the cheap seats.

Last edited by JDK; 02/04/24.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Someone got a new gun and didn't post photos?

Sako rifles check all the boxes for me. Extremely well made, good stock ergos, nice wood, beautiful bluing, and accurate. The original Sako scope mounts just add to the charm. Those Finns know how to make a gun (and gunpowder, too), which isn't surprising considering Russia is permanently camped on their doorstep.

Here's my AII in 22-250 wearing Deluxe trim. She's a great little prairie dog git'r.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

This is a picture I have that shows the 17 Remington, between a 6mm PPC deluxe and a 22 PPC deluxe. It is probably one of the rarest Sakos you could find. Sako never even listed it among the calibers available for a 75 deluxe. It also had a drop floor plate which was even more rare, as 75’s typically had detachable magazines and an ugly bolt with a proboscis sticking out the back of the bolt…

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice rifles. Those late A series stocks are the best.

IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It’s a good day, I learned something new.

-JW
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by shinbone

Sako rifles check all the boxes for me. Extremely well made, good stock ergos, nice wood, beautiful bluing, and accurate. The original Sako scope mounts just add to the charm. Those Finns know how to make a gun (and gunpowder, too), which isn't surprising considering Russia is permanently camped on their doorstep.

Here's my AII in 22-250 wearing Deluxe trim. She's a great little prairie dog git'r.

That is a sweet little rifle there. A lot to like with that one. The one I bought is not as nice as the deluxe model, but will fit me much better. Those roll over, and high cheek pieces hurt. As is, the rifle feels great in the hands and when shouldered. The action is buttery smooth. I don't have the rifle in hand yet, as I purchased it in the middle of the day on Friday, and the shop closed early Saturday. I should pick it up on Monday. Then I'll start in on it. I'll get some pics taken after I clean it up. Probably pics before it gets a scope, and then some afterwards. I'll more than likely glass bed it, and then probably shoot it Tuesday? Is that fast? Some of my buddies buy a rifle, then take 3 months to get a scope on it!!!!

I know, I wanted to show some before and after, and get a baseline, but I already know it needs to be glass bedded. I could feel it when I ran the bolt at the fun shop. That is something some guys don't get, or understand. But as some have confirmed, they shoot better when they are glass bedded. So I won't waste any time getting that done. The barrel is not freefloated, so I may just leave that alone? Then experiment later, if it's not shooting like I think it should.

The barrel on this 243 winchester is heavier than the 22-250 you pictured. It is horribly copper fouled, so I'll be soaking that and getting it cleaned. In my mind, the seller probably got rid of it because it was "not shooting like it used to". You know how some guys say they send them down the road, when they start shooting like schidt?? Well, that's my best guess. Then I come in, and make them shoot well again. Just how it goes. This one shows good sharp rifling, from what I can see of it, and the bolt face is very nice, so whoever had it, didn't shoot it much, but also did not take excellent care of it. Like I've said before, this rifle will be a lot nicer after I buy it, and tune it up a bit. If you guys want pics of that progression, and work, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the comments. Much appreciated!!!

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JDK
I just looked at both. Hard to compare fairly as one is a short action and the other is not. My Sako is about 3 inches shorter total but the weights are about the same. Also not fair is the Tikka is set up for a different style and has a much larger/heavier scope. Both are stock with nothing being done to either. Slapped a scope on them and shoot /hunt.

The action of the Tikka is significantly smoother than my Sako but is a good bit slopper

There is a lot of plastic on the Tikka compared to the Sako

This is subjective but the build quality of the Sako is a lot better

I have not played with the Tikka as much as I shot the Sako but at this point in time it has been a lot less finicky with ammo than the Sako. All brands and bullet weights that I have tried but if push comes to shove the Tikka likes heavier bullet weights

And finally just going off memory and again hugely subjective is recoil. The Tikka felt recoil is more in my opinion. Maybe stock design, maybe fit to me, maybe I’m nuts but I find the Tikka a good bit snappier. Not unbearable by any stretch but surprising to me

I’d buy either in a heartbeat if they were something I were looking for but I’d also sell one a lot quicker and that wouldn’t be the Sako

Just my opinions from the cheap seats.

Great info. Thanks! I know I'll have fun comparing them. I know there are some things that are different, like the plunger ejector on the Tikka. It never fails. If the Sako is a better build quality, then that should also be good, even though it has a fixed blade ejector. I know after a few problems with my A7, I got rid of it. That was a poor mechanical design though. I don't see that happening with the A II. I hope.. We'll see though, as when I test I am not going to be biased toward one over the other. If the Sako fails, I'll call it like it is.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sucko 243's are EPIC Goat Fhuqks at 1-10" Hint.

Not that you CLUELESS Drooling Dumbfhuqks,could even begin to summons a FIRST fhuqking clue. Hint.

How did those 108's do in your 6x45 upper? HINT.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Yet SchitSmell is an even DUMBER Fhuqk. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts for fhuqking TRYING.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Pre AII actions are sweet. I just picked this L46 222 at a gun show in Las Vegas. This is a classic example of how well Sako rifles are made. Somehow this gun remained unfired all these years as when I cleaned it, the original packing grease was still in the bolt, action, and magazine.

I hope to be shooting it soon…

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Pre AII actions are sweet. I just picked this L46 222 at a gun show in Las Vegas. This is a classic example of how well Sako rifles are made. Somehow this gun remained unfired all these years as when I cleaned it, the original packing grease was still in the bolt, action, and magazine.

I hope to be shooting it soon…

Cool find. That one does look brand new. Chambered for a cool cartridge too. Nice find!!

BSA MAGA
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice thread. I know nothing about Sako's.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
Nice thread. I know nothing about Sako's.

Come on Ed..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shinbone

WhenI bought my AII 22-250 many years ago I wanted the deluxe but the comb was just too high for me so I got the standard........lower comb and plastic plate instead of rubber recoil pad
not quite as pretty but never been disappointed

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I ran a AII in 22-250, with Millet rings, for going along about 30 years. Lots of figure in the buttstock. Fine looking and shooting rifle. Let's see some photos of yours, maybe it's my old one.

LOL
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (219 Wasp, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 61 invisible), 2,449 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,459
Posts18,489,777
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.