Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Cocaine hippo's!!! Well, they don't eat cocaine, but they're still trouble:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...erd-dominates-nations-largest-river.html

Pablo Escobar's hippos are now ATTACKING people in Colombia: Drug kingpin's four pets have multiplied into 200-strong herd that dominates the nation's largest river

Descendants of illegal hippos imported to Colombia by Pablo Escobar in the 1980s have multiplied and started attacking people.

The hippopotamuses, which spread from the kingpin's private zoo into nearby rivers where they flourished, have no natural predators in the country and have been declared an invasive species which threaten the ecosystem.

Hacienda Nápoles became a tourist attraction after his death in 1993. Most of the animals live freely in rivers and reproduce without control, leading Colombia's Ministry of Environment to start sterilizing them in November.

'They're very, very dangerous. The hippos have started to attack people,' one local told Fox News.

Others branded the species as 'unpredictable' and 'aggressive', saying the best course of action if you come across one is to simply hide.

Meanwhile, Colombian environmental minister Susana Muhamad told the New York Times: 'We are in a race against time in terms of permanent environmental and ecosystem impacts'.

Two male hippos and one female underwent surgical sterilization in November, environmental authorities said.

It's part of a larger government effort to control the population of 169 of the mammals that roam around unsupervised in some rivers.

The plan includes the sterilization of 40 hippos a year, transfer some of them to other countries and possibly euthanasia.

Sterilization takes time, because spotting and capturing the territorial, aggressive three-ton animals is complicated, David Echeverry López, chief of the environment office in charge of the plan, said in a video distributed to the press.

Rain events around the area have complicated efforts to capture the animals. More grass means 'they have an oversupply of food, so baiting them to capture them becomes even more complicated,' Echeverry said.

The government estimates there are 169 hippos in Colombia, especially in the Magdalena River basin, and that if no measures are taken, there could be 1,000 by 2035.

When the plan was first announced, the environment ministry said the procedure is expensive - each sterilization costs about $9,800 - and entails risks for the hippopotamus, including allergic reactions to anesthesia or death, as well as risks to the animal health personnel.

Some of the animals were transferred to zoos following Escobar's death in 1993, while others fled and multiplied.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I know a cure for that.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I know a cure for that.

Starts with ".375" and ends with "H&H"

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
How do they taste?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I know a cure for that.
But first they have to spend $900 million on a sterilization campaign.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
I know a cure for that.

Starts with ".375" and ends with "H&H"

7.62x39 would much more practical and economical

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I thought this was going to be about Stacy Abrahams.

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.”

Patrick Henry
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
They are an invasive species, and an incredibly destructive one.

A pile of pumpkins will interest them more than any grass. Save the ecosystem
,choot Lizabif choot!

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I know a cure for that.

It really ain't that hard to figure out........

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kolofardos
How do they taste?

Not quite as tasty as elephant... but more tender. smile

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It takes a government to take something so simple and make it slow, expensive and dangerous.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I know a cure for that.

Sounds like Colombia made the mistake of listening to a Biden regime idea.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seems there's money to be made if they'd like to get rid of a few. Enough to perhaps cover the sterilization of a few more. Could provide for a few jobs to keep some of those migrants home too???

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/average-hippo-on-land-prices-by-country.77909/

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I know a cure for that.

Sounds like Colombia made the mistake of listening to a Biden regime idea.

yeah, Let hope we don't start having that problem in the Mississippi and the Potomac....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hippos are trouble anywhere. They don't need cocaine for attitude. I think they kill about 500 people annually in Africa. That's more than NA bears do in 100 years. Very territorial. They will run along the river bottom and attack boats from underneath. Never see them coming! They come out on land at night to graze, and people walk right into them in the dark.

I'd put them right up there with Nile crocs, but crocs only need to eat once or twice a year. Hippos don't even eat their kills.

Just googled. Hippos 500, elephants 500, crocs 1,000, lions 30

Yeah $10K to capture and sterilize each one, and oh, this is even better- "move some to other countries".

How much does a .375 round cost again? People would pay for that, and the meat would be useful in the slums, and poor villages. Like in Africa.

Last edited by las; 02/05/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Funny stuff this is. Invasive species are not worthy of sympathy regardless of what or where they are. A few young men with proper rifles could fix this in a few days with minimal cost.

OTOH, Columbia could not pay me enough to go down there to solve this problem.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wonder what the trophy fee will run?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've read that hippos and crocs are tied for the most deaths in Africa for those killed by large animals. A hippo can run 20 mph and they're very aggressive.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I've read that hippos and crocs are tied for the most deaths in Africa for those killed by large animals. A hippo can run 20 mph and they're very aggressive.

Africa killers:
1. AIDS
2. Malaria
3. Hippos
4. Crocs

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Government and their "solutions". lol

They could solve this rather quickly and easily AND make some coin.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

218 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,791 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,347
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.