Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Stix
Still have a bunch of old oil lamps. Oiled up with fresh wicks. Amazing how much light they throw.
Does the rendered whale blubber smell fishy?

No, it would smell mammaly

Let's Go Brandon! FJB

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rarely goes off at the house, cabin it goes off all the time. We have some oil lights back there, stove is gas, heat is wood. A.C. Is opening the windows.
Usually have a cooler of ice so gtg on cocktails.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hastings
Generac 22kw comes on automatically

This

"You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas" - Davy Crockett
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
We just wait until the Sun rises like our ancestors did.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have 2 generators, multiple kerosene lanterns & such. But for the short term I like the 2 position battery powered LED lanterns or candles in a can.

A headlamp is damn handy for many things, to high beam for scanning the perimeter, to low just to read a book. Hands free.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The power grid is alot around here than when i was a kid.

The rural co-op spends alot of time ( and money - contract services ) on line maintenance / tree trimming.

Seems when i was a kid , 1980’s, power would go out every thunderstorm. For hours.

Now, about the only time it goes out is when someone runs into a lightpole.

I can remember my mom keeping “hurricane” lamps around the house.

My dad also had a couple of the old green coleman lanterns.

Thought that was the coolest thing ever, making a light with a cloth wick..

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Alan_C
Just that. It’s very stormy/windy in Northern California now and the power just shut off but came back on. I use my propane lantern sometimes. I had a Coleman battery lantern but I’d did not last long. Candles don’t last. I have a jump/start battery pack . Would be nice if someone made a lantern I could plug the battery pack into. Alan

Suck on that dick long enough and you can shoot laser fire out your ass.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Generator. I am a generator hoarder according to my wife. My best experience has been yamaha. I have a 2400 and a 3000 or something like that. They are absolute legend.

I have a few LED battery powered lights that are usb charged also.

But the last time we lost power for any appreciable time, I hauled out a generator and lugged in some pedestal lights from the shop.

Montana MOFO
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CRJ1960
Originally Posted by Hastings
Generac 22kw comes on automatically

This

Yep. Burn that NG at least twice a month.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Motel 6

GOA
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Recently finished a 26 MW generator and dedicated 500 gal propane tank install.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Aladdin

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it was 1994, December after Christmas. Here in Pennsyltucky, we got 16” of snow, and then the wind kicked in.
The power was out for 4 days in our area, up to 8 in other parts of the state.
Carol & I and Ben, Dave and Grace and 3 kids had to move into The Old Man’s 36x42 garage, as it had a good coal stove.
Slept on cots, or what we could make. Coleman lanterns for light. Mom was shut in the house, with a kerosene heater.
No water, Dad, Dave and I took a few 5 gallon cans up on the mountain, above any houses, to get water. We also took my .308, and snagged a deer.
Not something I’d wanna do every year, But we got through. Fresh deer steak on a Coleman stove is pretty good!
Like Hank said, a Country Boy can survive.
If the SHTF, which is likely to happen, the Rednecks will come out ok.
Others probably not so much.’
But that’s ok in my book, because this nation was built on folks like us. The ones that are clinging to our God and our guns!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

A
Alan_C Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Reon, thanks for sharing! What a great story. I had an English teacher in high school, and in a banner above the chalk board it said “ Be Prepared”. I wish I was more prepared but I’m not. Maybe one day. Cheers! Alan

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a dozen or so kerosene lanterns, lamps, propane lanterns, an isobutane lantern, a metric schittload of mantles and wicks and a couple battery powered backpacker lanterns to fight my way to the kerosene powered stuff. Oh a handful of headlamps too. Not to mention stoves and fuel.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by Stix
Still have a bunch of old oil lamps. Oiled up with fresh wicks. Amazing how much light they throw.
Does the rendered whale blubber smell fishy?

No, it would smell mammaly
Whale tits. Humpback whales need to eat more calcium.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by JakeM78
Flashlight, standing on end, pointed at white ceiling.

A few Fenix lights will get me through days, and the fireplace for everything else.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
losing power here is rare, even in hurricanes. If it does go out, I have battery lanterns and flashlights. Lose power at night? Just sleep. During the day? No light needed, but the fridge needs to be taken care of. I have a 5 kw generator for that.

Sam......

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On demand NG whole-house Generac 22K generator, installed last summer. Test runs itself every Monday at noon, has come on reliably during the half dozen outages we have had so far this winter. Because I' too old for this crap. Except at the cabins.

NG fireplace, and forced air furnace downstairs for heat; the fireplace will run the fan for a time off battery, but will work without - the furnace forced air requires electricity; candles, kerosene, battery and white gas lanterns for light. Also have a solar/AC charging battery pack that can be used for plug in lights, cell phones, etc. which we keep here, but take to and use at our off-grid cabins when we go there, charged on AC before we go off-grid, solar or 2000i Honda portable out there.

I have concrete slab heat in the garage - that should stay good for several days on residual heat alone, and the tubes /boiler circulate antifreeze water. The bathroom plumbing might take a hit tho.

In our local rec cabin, we have a string of solar self charging LED lights - dim, but workable. Those are pretty cheap too, and one can always buy several. We just leave the little 8 X 10 inch (or so) solar panel set up in a window to charge while we are gone, and in residence.

If an earthquake wipes out the NG line, I have two 2000i Hondas I can fire up to keep individual utilites going, on rotation if needed.

'Fraid the hot tub is on it's own, in that scenario, tho.

Last edited by las; 02/05/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Muzzle flash.

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,677
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.