Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So took my daughter to her pathways group where she interacts with other people with disabilities, took the dog along and well the hill down turns out to be ice under the new snow falling this morning, so next thing I know we are spinning and sliding a long way down the hill.
To say the daughter and dog were traumatized is an understatement.
Daughter asked if i was kidding, told her nope!
Hang on tight as we went sliding backwards, must have spun at least three times, too busy trying to control as best I could.

Read a posting locally right after people had been posting about all the ice and previous accidents.

Not sure daughter or dog want to drive in my truck again!😳

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've lived my whole life on the Northern Plains. We get ice and packed snow 3-4Mo most winters, sometimes shorter (like this year), sometimes a bit longer (like the last 2 yrs) and so as someone who travels a couple of states by car for work, you learn to drive on the slick stuff. That said, we don't have a lot in the way of "gravity" in the mix, it's pretty flat. Even if you lose control, with a clear head and a little thinking, you can stick the vehicle into the ditch or the snow piled on a boulevard and while you may wrinkle up a bit of body work or bend some suspension components, you live and mostly are unharmed.

Big hills and gravity are a whole other level of "pucker-factor" than we get out here on the flat.

Doesn't sound like you bonked anything or got any scuffs, glad to read you made it.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Partsman: Thank goodness your daughter nor you were injured!
Had a similar incident occur a few weeks back. I was on my way to the Bozeman Gunshow and halfway into the 105 mile trip my usually VERY surefooted Ford Expedition (that was in four wheel drive and going slowly at the time!) did a 360 right in the road!
I gained control and proceeded even slower and my trusty Expedition would NOT steer. I ended up in a driveway! Turns out there was nearly a half inch of black ice covered by an inch of fresh powder snow on the roads.
I sat it out for an hour and eventually a snow plow came by and sanded the road.
Unknowing of what lay ahead I cancelled that gunshow and headed home (slowly!). These incidents occurred on "level" roads by the way.
Again thankfully you and yours (and your truck) were not injured.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Partsman
So took my daughter to her pathways group where she interacts with other people with disabilities, took the dog along and well the hill down turns out to be ice under the new snow falling this morning, so next thing I know we are spinning and sliding a long way down the hill.
To say the daughter and dog were traumatized is an understatement.
Daughter asked if i was kidding, told her nope!
Hang on tight as we went sliding backwards, must have spun at least three times, too busy trying to control as best I could.

Read a posting locally right after people had been posting about all the ice and previous accidents.

Not sure daughter or dog want to drive in my truck again!😳

That will make a man pucker up. I had that happen pulling an ice castle fish house with traffic coming the opposite direction. At the bottom of the hill was a narrow river bridge. I'm still not sure how I managed to straighten that mess out without someone getting seriously injured.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,736 guests, and 997 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,274
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.