Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SDHNTR

As for Illya, I don’t place much stock in many of his thoughts because he doesn’t hunt, and that’s all I care about.

Hilarious

You give more weight to opinions about scopes to those who fire one shot on a hunt than those who shoot hundreds of rounds, abusing their equipment, dialing for 200 rounds a weekend

The campfire is deranged

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If he does hunt, I stand corrected. Has he put out much material or scope reviews as it relates to the needs of big game hunters?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

As for Illya, I don’t place much stock in many of his thoughts because he doesn’t hunt, and that’s all I care about.

Hilarious

You give more weight to opinions about scopes to those who fire one shot on a hunt than those who shoot hundreds of rounds, abusing their equipment, dialing for 200 rounds a weekend

The campfire is deranged
Actually, yes. Because when it all comes down to making that one shot, and 20
+ years worth of points and applications are on the line, your system better be flawless. Only a hunter knows that feeling.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Actually, yes. Because when it all comes down to making that one shot, and 20
+ years worth of points and applications are on the line, your system better be flawless. Only a hunter knows that feeling.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by rcamuglia

Hilarious

The campfire is deranged

200 hundred whole rounds? Dang that's impressive

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
After reading this entire thread I feel like buying a new scope. It's down between Leupold and Vortex.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A few thoughts from reading some (several) of the posts on this thread.

1. We benefit from reading as much as we can from industry experts and also reading between the lines. Sometimes hints are dropped that at the time can't, for a variety of reasons, be said by that person more obviously.

2. Yes, critical thinking demands examining what others say in light of your own experiences and the experiences of people you trust. Blindly trusting someone on the internet who you don't really know doesn't qualify as critical analysis. We often don't know the nature of relationships of people we don't know very well, particularly on the internet. People can be talking up or talking down a product for a variety of reasons.

3. For any product, product design, manufacturing process design, manufacturing techniques, worker training and motivation, and QA/QC are all important factors in the quality of any particular individual example of that product.

From what I've gathered from multiple sources, QA/QC in Communist China can be spotty at best. One person may not have any problems with a Chicom produced scope, but don't be surprised if a lot of other people have problems with that same model.

Same might be said for a very large and popular American scope company whose management apparently decided several years ago that quality wasn't as important as it had previously been deemed there.

There's been more than enough written on this forum over the years about a particular European optics company to know not to expect the "waterproofing" or durability to match the stunning quality of their glass.

The benefit of the internet is that a lot of info is available from a lot of sources. The challenge is to sift the wheat from the chaff and always be vigilant to critically evaluate each data point. The vast majority of us wouldn't know nearly as much as we do about optics without the internet.

Bottom line:
When people share their experiences, evaluate the source, critically assess what they are saying in light of your own experiences and what other people you trust have said, and make your best choice based on your priorities and your assessment of all the available information.

Last edited by Ramblin_Razorback; 02/06/24. Reason: Added next to last paragraph
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
If he does hunt, I stand corrected. Has he put out much material or scope reviews as it relates to the needs of big game hunters?

I don't know Koshkin from Adam, but given his credential as spelled out by MD, I'm betting he knows more about it than most anyone/everyone here whether it's competition, hunting, or some sort of ridiculous drop testing.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I don't know Koshkin from Adam, but given his credential as spelled out by MD, I'm betting he knows more about it than most anyone/everyone here whether it's competition, hunting, or some sort of ridiculous drop testing.

Which scopes has he designed that we can judge his qualifications off of?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
belly, not sure who "we" is but why don't you ask him? I'm sure he pays great attention to what a bunch on internet experts think.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bellydeep

This may be the most "24HC" thing ever. "I shoot more than everyone so I know it all" is accepted, and not an appeal to authority logical fallacy, but "Here's my engineering degree, and 20+ years working for scope companies" sure as heck isn't worth listening to.

God I hope the optics forum here never changes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The real question is... why do optics evoke such passionate opinions? everybody seems to separate into tribes and feel the need to fight the other tribe... crazy stuff

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by irfubar
The real question is... why do optics evoke such passionate opinions? everybody seems to separate into tribes and feel the need to fight the other tribe... crazy stuff

The fun part is most of those with passionate opinions haven't done enough shooting/hunting to warrant them. At all.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by moosemike
After reading this entire thread I feel like buying a new scope. It's down between Leupold and Vortex.....

That's kind of funny, considering my two favorite hunting scopes are the Leupold VX5 HD 3-15x44 Firedot and the Vortex Razor LHT 3-15x42.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
belly, not sure who "we" is but why don't you ask him? I'm sure he pays great attention to what a bunch on internet experts think.

I’m not the one putting him forward as some kind of expert on the subject.

Originally Posted by goalie

This may be the most "24HC" thing ever. "I shoot more than everyone so I know it all" is accepted, and not an appeal to authority logical fallacy, but "Here's my engineering degree, and 20+ years working for scope companies" sure as heck isn't worth listening to.

Blind trust/worship of the “experts” is total boomer b.s.

I’d venture to guess that the VAST majority of scopes are engineered by someone with similar credentials. We all know scopes are not created equal.

I’m not going to swallow anything just because an “expert” tells me to. Learned that lesson long ago.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Kind of like “brand or model X scope is mechanically reliable because here’s an animal I shot using mine.”

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's not a generational flaw, it's a human flaw.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Kind of like “brand or model X scope is mechanically reliable because here’s an animal I shot using mine.”

Says all the Leupold users... grin

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Id be more worried about the " no fear hat wearing"
Millennials.
Have to wear a hat to remind themselves they're not afraid.....

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

You're not wrong. EVERY mechanical device can fail. All brands and models of scopes have failures.

But I'm laughing more at how one specific appeal to authority is "good" while another is "bad" here on the 24HC. Watching people use the exact same logical fallacy that they're attacking others for using won't ever stop being amusing.

Page 12 of 27 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 26 27

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1minute, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,791
Posts18,496,131
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.