Hop To
Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by K22
That even tempted me, but glad drover picked it up. Hope he'll give us a report on it.

It will be a couple of weeks before I have it in my hands but I am anxious to see if it will shoot as well as my friends does.

I will also be curious to see your experience with a refinish of the stock. I am always reluctant to try something like that, my skills as a wood worker / refinisher are at a zero level. Maybe just not enough patience but I have never had much luck at it so I may just live with the mud stock.

drover

My mud hen is kind of growing on me….

GB1

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
[Linked Image]

I shot 20 5 shot groups today, mostly at 25yds, I reset my trigger down from 2lbs 2oz to 1lb 14oz, it was as low as I could safely get it without it slam firing. Here’s a pic of one group I shot at 50yds, surprised the heck out of me. The next group opened up to about four inches and I said, “yah, that’s more like my shooting” then I notice the scope had moved about a quarter inch in the rings. I’m going to pony up and get a new scope and rings for it and I do think a change in the stock finish is in it’s future.

Last edited by Namuh; 01/29/24.
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Namuh
Originally Posted by drover
Originally Posted by K22
That even tempted me, but glad drover picked it up. Hope he'll give us a report on it.

It will be a couple of weeks before I have it in my hands but I am anxious to see if it will shoot as well as my friends does.

I will also be curious to see your experience with a refinish of the stock. I am always reluctant to try something like that, my skills as a wood worker / refinisher are at a zero level. Maybe just not enough patience but I have never had much luck at it so I may just live with the mud stock.

drover

My mud hen is kind of growing on me….

grin

I know the feeling. grin

K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
[Linked Image]

I shot 20 5 shot groups today, mostly at 25yds, I reset my trigger down from 2lbs 2oz to 1lb 14oz, it was as low as I could safely get it without it slam firing. Here’s a pic of one group I shot at 50yds, surprised the heck out of me. The next group opened up to about four inches and I said, “yah, that’s more like my shooting” then I notice the scope had moved about a quarter inch in the rings. I’m going to pony up and get a new scope and rings for it and I do think a change in the stock finish is in it’s future.

Nice shooting. It sure looks to have promise.
Did you check the trigger pull weight out of the stock and then torqued down in the stock?
Many, including mine, are showing a lighter pull weight after reinstalling the barreled action in the stock. I haven't dug into mine yet to see if it's the trigger housing hitting somewhere or if the action is binding.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by K22
[Linked Image]

Did you check the trigger pull weight out of the stock and then torqued down in the stock?
Many, including mine, are showing a lighter pull weight after reinstalling the barreled action in the stock. I haven't dug into mine yet to see if it's the trigger housing hitting somewhere or if the action is binding.

Thank you but it really was all luck on that one. It’s not a target rifle but it should have plenty of accuracy for hunting and I’d like to keep the gun as light as possible, hopefully under 7 1/2 pounds all in.

Yes, I originally set the trigger pull with the barreled action out of the stock and then remeasured it again after I put it back together, I safety checked for slam fires and then hitting the butt stock on the floor, I couldn’t dislodge the sear. I currently have both my action screws torque down to 20lbs and I know that changing the torque can effect accuracy but I didn’t try torquing them down any further. I believe the manual says 31lbs for the action screws if the conversion calculator I used was correct. When I reset the trigger pull the second time down to 1lb 14oz, I left the action in the stock and only adjusted the screw that can reach from inside the trigger guide, screw C in the manual. I may be able to get the pull down a little further if I take the action back out and try adjusting all three screws again, but for hunting it’s pretty light and I’ll probably increase it back up when I actually take it out. Also torquing down the action will definitely be a possibility if it improves accuracy once I decide what scope and rings I’ll be putting on it. Right now I just wanted to see inherently how accurate it was and not a lemon right out of the box.

Last edited by Namuh; 01/30/24.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by K22
[Linked Image]

Thank you but it really was all luck on that one. It’s not a target rifle but it should have plenty of accuracy for hunting and I’d like to keep the gun as light as possible, hopefully under 7 1/2 pounds all in.

Yes, I originally set the trigger pull with the barreled action out of the stock and then remeasured it again after I put it back together, I safety checked for slam fires and then hitting the butt stock on the floor, I couldn’t dislodge the sear. I currently have both my action screws torque down to 20lbs and I know that changing the torque can effect accuracy but I didn’t try torquing them down any further. I believe the manual says 31lbs for the action screws if the conversion calculator I used was correct. When I reset the trigger pull the second time down to 1lb 14oz, I left the action in the stock and only adjusted the screw that can reach from inside the trigger guide, screw C in the manual. I may be able to get the pull down a little further if I take the action back out and try adjusting all three screws again, but for hunting it’s pretty light and I’ll probably increase it back up when I actually take it out. Also torquing down the action will definitely be a possibility if it improves accuracy once I decide what scope and rings I’ll be putting on it. Right now I just wanted to see inherently how accurate it was and not a lemon right out of the box.

Gotta hate those dang fliers. That group looks promising, but with the scope moving a "1/4" in the rings, as you say, it should be off more than that. And groups would go to hell, like you said (4 times bigger), if not even more. Loose or improper scope rings do nothing to assure consistent precision. Hopefully you get that sorted out, and post some one holers.

One thing about this thread, is it's been an eye opener and filled with good info!! Kind of prepares a guy, before taking the plunge into getting one of these rifles. Nothing too major, but things that may need to be checked and addressed when buying one.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
K
K22 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K
After making some more adjustments and retorquing the action screws to my original 20"lbs. I had the opportunity to try some more shots. Groups had improved slightly, but my, now it likes 10rds to settle in between different ammo. First rimfire I've had that was that way. Maybe I'll clean the barrel before my next session and see if that makes a difference.
Hoping to soon have another Burris 6X Mini AO scope and I'll mount it on the CZ for a while before I move it over to the Kimber. Those scopes are by far my favorite scope for Squirrel hunting, plus they do quite well for me off the bench. Sure wish Burris still made them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With cleaning or ammo shifts all three of my 22LR units (CZ, Ruger, Anschutz) need about 15 to 20 rounds to settle down. Don't go chasing a zero until one has put quite a few down the pipe. With my early experiences, I found one usually ends up back at the original setting.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/30/24.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my local Farm store in NE Wi. has a 457 American on the rack... stock is a bit better looking IMO than most pics here, still "Muddy", but i could live with it... $569.99 +tax, so $601.34 all in... 1 time $75 savings if i sign up for an in store rewards credit card... so then $526.34 all in... after 8 pages i'm on the fence....

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by 7mm_Loco
my local Farm store in NE Wi. has a 457 American on the rack... stock is a bit better looking IMO than most pics here, still "Muddy", but i could live with it... $569.99 +tax, so $601.34 all in... 1 time $75 savings if i sign up for an in store rewards credit card... so then $526.34 all in... after 8 pages i'm on the fence....

I don’t blame you…. It’s a bit of a commitment to love a mud hen… I’d wait until at least the bottom of page 9 to make a final decision 🤣😂🤣.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don’t blame you…. It’s a bit of a commitment to love a mud hen… I’d wait until at least the bottom of page 9 to make a final decision 🤣😂🤣.
"Mud Hen" is already taken... what would i call it?... "Muddy Waters", "The Big Muddy", no... wait?... "Stuck in The Mud"...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 01/30/24.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Brown Sugar?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brown Sugar?
lol, Perfect!... if it shoots...

Last edited by 7mm_Loco; 01/30/24.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Not a bad deal, from what I've seen. Most of the ones I'm seeing are right at $600.00. I called the lady that has a gunshop about 70 miles away, and asked if she still had the one I was looking at and she said she just sold it. She said she was going to order another one, and when it comes in, I can come and look at it. Dang...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Brown Sugar?
lol, Perfect!... if it shoots...

And if it don't, Mudshark.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm Off the Fence!... maybe?... 457 American .22 WMR inbound... firearm manager at my local Farm store ordered 1 up for me... sealed the deal for me when he volunteered, "no money down, and i didn't have to take it if i don't like the stock"... could see it by end of this week maybe... fingers crossed, too soon to shop for glass ?... prolly Jinx me lol...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm Off the Fence!... maybe?... 457 American .22 WMR inbound... firearm manager at my local Farm store ordered 1 up for me... sealed the deal for me when he volunteered, "no money down, and i didn't have to take it if i don't like the stock"... could see it by end of this week maybe... fingers crossed, too soon to shop for glass ?... prolly Jinx me lol...

Good luck man. I hope the stock is real nice!!

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have the 457 American in .22 mag.
Wood finish is dark, dunno what grain is or isn't there LOL.
Trigger is heavy but usable.
Took it out and it shot well right off the bat w WW 40gr HP.

24" bbl is a bit long, maybe better if 22".
But it seems "polite" when shooting afield.

Is my close range chuck popper.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/06/24.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

I like the 455s quite a bit. A couple of years ago, when I was pondering what to do with a "surplus" 455 American, I decided to buy a WMR barrel to put on it. Alas, CZ was switching over to the 457s and they didn't have any blued 455 WMR barrels left in stock. 455s and 457s share the same dimensions in barrels, so I bought a 457 WMR barrel and plugged it in. It's a shooter, sure enough. Yes, the finishes are different, but "close enough" if you don't look too critically.
Since the barrels are using exactly the same systems, dimensions, etc. I'm pretty sure you'll have a good shooting rifle when it comes in.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
With a bit of luck with the post office being on time I should have my 457 American on Friday. It's going to be a little cool here (28) but I have a shooting bench on my deck so I can step out and take some shots to at least see if it has promise. If it shoots as well as I hope then I will decide what to do about the stock finish.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Page 8 of 12 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (160user, 338Rules, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,640 guests, and 957 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,097
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.