Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
tkinak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
On the Safari Classics channel. Hornady's Dark and Dangerous. Some good Buff action in this one!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd bet the one behind the target animal was hit on the first shot.........

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bwinters

I thought so too. Also looks like the hunter's much hyped "better for danger game" CRF jammed up at 0:55.

Last edited by himmelrr; 02/07/24.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Many DG bolt rifles have issues feeding, especially the big bores.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A year and a half ago I hunted buffalo in Namibia with a Christianson Arms 375 that jammed about 50 percent of the time. Seemed to do it only when cycling quickly. Didn’t seem to jam on the target range. Luckily for our group, it had no serious consequences.

Rolly
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Jam or stuffing ammo?
Ph was out and trying to reload as well.
Trying and testing moments there. We all would like to think we could do better but…

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
My testing for feeding and extraction from my M70 .375 H&H showed the action needed some tweaking before I would ever take it on a DG hunt.

The same kind of testing of my 9.3x62mm proved the action was GTG. I simply could not get it to fail to feed or extract. That was a first for me.

I think the main problem for first-time users of magnum length actions is short-stroking the bolt when things get exciting. Especially after a lifetime of working medium and large action bolts.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rolly
A year and a half ago I hunted buffalo in Namibia with a Christianson Arms 375 that jammed about 50 percent of the time. Seemed to do it only when cycling quickly. Didn’t seem to jam on the target range. Luckily for our group, it had no serious consequences.
Wow. Thats the first ever issue a Christanson arms gun has ever had...... I would never own one personally but YMMV. Overpriced and the guys that I've talked to working there dont' really have a great grasp on anything but putting parts together.
Originally Posted by swiftshot
Many DG bolt rifles have issues feeding, especially the big bores.
Have to be careful with bullet shape and seating depth on those issues sometimes. I really wanted to shoot heavy hardcast big meplat in my 458 backup gun. Will not feed them. But it flawlessly feeds 350 barnes as fast as I can cycle the bolt.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rolly
Well built rifles don't do that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
No doubt in my mind. And the first shot was not that great of a shot. The rifle jams is obvious. Glad the tracker got out of the way at the start or he would have been shot possibly too.

To my mind, once an animal is wounded, its almost safer if the client is never involved. But thats my take. And its actually the way I do it with big bears. Client gets to make a bad phone call if needed but is alive and I only have to worry about the bear, not the client and the bear.

Heck the client never had any idea that was a dumb shot to start with and he should have never shot to start with.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I am sure that if you mess around with cast and bizarre reloads any rifle will have issues feeding.However if you stick to the various more popular rounds the rifle will have feeding issues if not worked on by a very experienced smith or if it was not given the proper attention at the factory if it is a factory rifle.That said thanks to the original poster who posted the video-it's a great video-very instructional or educational also.I think both the hunter and PH did a good job with the charge.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/12/24.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Definitely looked like 2 were hit on the first shot. Also like there was a miss at 55 sec, unless the shot went through and that's what kicked up dust.

Client also backed into the camera guy, can't tell if that caused him to short stroke the rifle causing issues or not? Camera has telephoto lens - IMO, I'd have told him, as they were coming up with a plan, to get the hell back and zoom rather than be another person I need to account for upon shooting.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Many of the feeding issues under stress are because the cartridge jumps the feed ramp and projectile hits the top outside of the bore and has a bolt override.

Seems like someone should be carrying a Beretta 1301 with some Brenneke slugs

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 02/12/24.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by himmelrr

I thought so too. Also looks like the hunter's much hyped "better for danger game" CRF jammed up at 0:55.

Did it jam or did he short stroke it?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by himmelrr

Did it jam or did he short stroke it?

I would guess that it was a jam.Short stroking is very rare IMO compared to a misfeed.It looks like the client had time to fire

only a single shot before the issue occurred.It took him a long time to get out of it which shows his inexperience.From where he was he

could have easily spined the buff with a single shot.

Last edited by swiftshot; 02/12/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
Many of the feeding issues under stress are because the cartridge jumps the feed ramp and projectile hits the top outside of the bore and has a bolt override.

Seems like someone should be carrying a Beretta 1301 with some Brenneke slugs
Seriously. A shotgun on Cape buffalo? I wouldn't even risk a shotgun on a bear. Loco.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Teal
Definitely looked like 2 were hit on the first shot. Also like there was a miss at 55 sec, unless the shot went through and that's what kicked up dust.

Client also backed into the camera guy, can't tell if that caused him to short stroke the rifle causing issues or not? Camera has telephoto lens - IMO, I'd have told him, as they were coming up with a plan, to get the hell back and zoom rather than be another person I need to account for upon shooting.
Fairly sure due to angle and timing that had to be the pass through from the PH. I suspect he would have had solids in about then. and that broadside should have gone on through.

Be interesting to find out about the second buffalo.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Teal

Fairly sure due to angle and timing that had to be the pass through from the PH. I suspect he would have had solids in about then. and that broadside should have gone on through.

Be interesting to find out about the second buffalo.

Wonder if they even looked for it?

Me

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I refuse to patronize or purchase anything by Hornady until he formally & publicly apologizes to his employees over his woke exploits.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never seem a video or real situation like that before. Watching that it does seem to me that on dangerous game, the best rifle is a double IF you take the time to learn to shoot it. I shoot SxS shotguns about 98% of the time and am used to looking for that second shot. matter of face I prefer them with double trigger's. have to get used to double trigger's but I've never had a SxS jam on me trying to chamber the second round and they simply come up and point at what your looking at if you practice with them. I though when that buff first came out of the bush at the hunter, he had the shot to stop it right there. Seems there was a couple other times he had a good chance with shooting like it was a flushing bird but he blew it. Of course, never having been in a situation like that, I'm not so sure exactly what I'd have done myself. But I can imagine being there, missing or not stopping the buff on the first shot and trying to chamber another round, jamming up the bolt action, not good! I'm pretty sure shooting at a buff at 50yds while it's all calm out is somewhat different than shooting at one at 12 feet under pressure! This makes me think if I was going after dangerous game that a lot of snap shooting at close range might be advisable!

Last edited by DonFischer; 02/13/24.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,503 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,201
Posts18,485,216
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.