-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
OP Offline
R
My cousin has a Ruger .44 carbine built in 1973. Over twenty years ago he and a buddy were (in my cousin’s own words) really dumb and broke the infamous tab off the front of the trigger housing. It’s been sitting ever since, a bag of lonely parts in a big plastic bag with no hope for the future.

When asked, I relented and said I would see if I could help him get it fixed.

So…..I’m looking for a trigger guard housing to fit this rifle.

There were/are three variations out there:
- The earliest has the tab at the front of the housing, and does not have the button in the magazine well which allows you to unload the magazine without jacking all rounds through the chamber.
- The second has the tab at the front of the housing, and does have the button in the magazine well which allows you to unload the magazine without jacking all rounds through the chamber.
- The newest has a redesigned tab or lump at the front of the housing, and does have the button in the magazine well which allows you to unload the magazine without jacking all rounds through the chamber. This housing will require some machining on the mating surfaces in the bottom front of the steel receiver on the rifle.

The second variation is the one I need, but if all else fails the third can be made to work.
I’ve already checked with Numrich, Classic Firearms & Parts, Jack First, etc.

Anybody got a lead?
Thank you…………………….

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."
Jake Spoon - Lonesome Dove
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I Just sold one a couple months ago on Fleabay. Just keep checking and one will show up eventually.

A bowhunter at heart but a gun guy at soul. I'll take craftsmanship, wood and blue steel over plastic and composite any day.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by 348winchester
I Just sold one a couple months ago on Fleabay. Just keep checking and one will show up eventually.
Thank you

"Well hell boys. I'd damn sight rather be hung by my friends than by a bunch'a damn strangers."
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
There is a father/son team in the northeast who specialize in repairing those carbines. I have spoken to them but it was years ago. Maybe someone here will know who I'm referring to and can share their info.

Medics bury their mistakes..
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Dinny
There is a father/son team in the northeast who specialize in repairing those carbines. I have spoken to them but it was years ago. Maybe someone here will know who I'm referring to and can share their info.

Leroy & Jim Wisner would be who I'd try. They can fix just about anything between the two of them. They also supply parts that nobody else has. Or , try the popsicle stick fix I mentioned on the other forum.

http://www.wisnersinc.com/about-us/

Last edited by EddieSouthgate; 02/11/24.

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you.
260RemGuy provided contact info for these guys to me as well.
Called them on Friday, they are checking with their machinist to see what they have available.

Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Leroy & Jim Wisner would be who I'd try. They can fix just about anything between the two of them. They also supply parts that nobody else has. Or , try the popsicle stick fix I mentioned on the other forum.
Thank you, I hadn't heard of these guys.
One thing I hadn't mentioned until now - in the process of 'bubba-ing' this poor, insulted rifle - my dear cousin also managed to break the bow out of the trigger guard. For that reason I'm stuck replacing the housing somehow rather than trying the popsicle stick.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Let me know what you find. Depending on price I may get one too. Better to have and not need.

R
OP Offline
R
Let me know what you find. Depending on price I may get one too. Better to have and not need.
Will do

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Epoxy???

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
give Ahlmans gun shop in Minnesota a call

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Aagaardsporter
Epoxy???
In conversation with those that have tried epoxy or JB Weld or something similar - they claim with the shock of recoil through the frame the repair failed.

Originally Posted by Jericho
give Ahlmans gun shop in Minnesota a call
I have already spoken with them, nothing available. They suggested sources which I have already tried.

I checked in with the father/son team up in the northeast - they had not yet had a chance to talk with their machinist.

Thanks to all responders for their suggestions.

Fingers still crossed............

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

277 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,757 guests, and 1,069 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,486,002
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.