Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
I dunno- early in the vid, at a distance, the bear had its ears down, and that run seemed pretty determined. When it slowed, then the ears went up I knew it had reconsidered - if it was serious to begin with. Which I think early on it was. Also there is the vision factor. And the human voices. A short-range bear might not have that luxury of time to reconsideration that this one did.

Passivity or retreat in that situation on the part of the anglers was a no-go. Period. They done right. Yelling, making themselves bigger, showing aggression was perfect.

I've never believed a "warning shot" has any deterence whatsoever, unless gravel or something sprays the bear. It's just a loud noise. Better to yell and save the bullet for need... you might not have time to chamber another one.

I think where the ears went up is about where I'd have been shooting, maybe a tad sooner. On a black bear doing that there would have been flying lead when it cleared the water.
To me its a shame so many bears are shot so quickly and so often. BIL did the same years ago. Bear was just being a bear. But people are so scared of them if they do anything like a bear. Look. Stand up. Huff. Pop teeth. Bluff charge.

I'm not saying I would not have been ready for either bear but I would not have even come close to shooting either of those bears.

As I noted even the bear tearing my tent fly off last fall, just did not know and once he did it was all over with except him looking around like WTF.

OTOH I guess in the end all these folks so quick to shoot, it is just another dead bear I suppose.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you mess with the Bull, you get the horns.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by las
I dunno- early in the vid, at a distance, the bear had its ears down, and that run seemed pretty determined. When it slowed, then the ears went up I knew it had reconsidered - if it was serious to begin with. Which I think early on it was. Also there is the vision factor. And the human voices. A short-range bear might not have that luxury of time to reconsideration that this one did.

Passivity or retreat in that situation on the part of the anglers was a no-go. Period. They done right. Yelling, making themselves bigger, showing aggression was perfect.

I've never believed a "warning shot" has any deterence whatsoever, unless gravel or something sprays the bear. It's just a loud noise. Better to yell and save the bullet for need... you might not have time to chamber another one.

I think where the ears went up is about where I'd have been shooting, maybe a tad sooner. On a black bear doing that there would have been flying lead when it cleared the water.
To me its a shame so many bears are shot so quickly and so often. BIL did the same years ago. Bear was just being a bear. But people are so scared of them if they do anything like a bear. Look. Stand up. Huff. Pop teeth. Bluff charge.

I'm not saying I would not have been ready for either bear but I would not have even come close to shooting either of those bears.

As I noted even the bear tearing my tent fly off last fall, just did not know and once he did it was all over with except him looking around like WTF.

OTOH I guess in the end all these folks so quick to shoot, it is just another dead bear I suppose.

Well there is a reason for the fear, especially if you read about the forensics reports after they find someone that has been eaten by a bear.

It is a rather slow, excruciating, and grewsome death.

Having Bow hunting bears for many years, I don't trust them, and when they are charging, how are you supposed to know that they are bluffing, personally I am not a mind reader.

Here is what you look like after being eaten my a bear. Notice how his insides are licked clean?

I am only going to post the link and not the picture, so you can choose to open it or not. It's not pretty!

I would rather be eaten by a shark than a bear, you die much faster in a shark attack.

https://imgur.com/pQ1lNEc

KB

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by las

Well there is a reason for the fear, especially if you read about the forensics reports after they find someone that has been eaten by a bear.

It is a rather slow, excruciating, and grewsome death.

Having Bow hunting bears for many years, I don't trust them, and when they are charging, how are you supposed to know that they are bluffing, personally I am not a mind reader.

Here is what you look like after being eaten my a bear. Notice how his insides are licked clean?

I am only going to post the link and not the picture, so you can choose to open it or not. It's not pretty!

I would rather be eaten by a shark than a bear, you die much faster in a shark attack.

https://imgur.com/pQ1lNEc

One does not need to be a mind reader to understand a bear, or any other animal or humans intentions as they telegraph it by body language and posturing very well if you know what you are looking at.
Cowboys do it with horses and astute dog and cat owners do it as well. Cops learn it quickly too. Body language is pretty universal

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I do like being really close to bears of all kinds...behind bars at the Zoo! lol I don't envy you guys that live amongst them, even our Black bears give me the Heebie jeebies! In all honesty, I feel the same way when I have to go out in the City after Midnight with a pistol in my waistband...its all business, no goofing off!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/08/24.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I do like being really close to bears of all kinds...behind bars at the Zoo! lol I don't envy you guys that live amongst them, even our Black bears give me the Heebie jeebies! In all honesty, I feel the same way when I have to go out in the City after Midnight with a pistol in my waistband...its all business, no goofing off!

I feel a lot safer around big bears as they are honest so you can safely read their intentions
Humans can be deceiving and calculating while appearing to be friendly

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
458Win I agree with your assessment, however.

The potential end result of misinterpretation, can be the last mistake you make.

One time when I was hunting black bears, I misinterpreted a particular bear's intentions while bow hunting. The bear came into my bait and was milling around the base of the tree I had set up a small wood platform I built by myself, when I was young and agile.

So I am watching the bear and saying to myself, "Well he is just curious, and he will head to the bait" Right after I thought that and withing a few seconds he motored up the tree, I was about 18 feet up and took a swipe at my boot.

I threw my bow out of my hands and shot him in the head at a distance of about a foot away with my shotgun that I had hanging on the tree.

Also where I bow hunt elk there are a lot of Grizz, it is very thick bush and in many cases you can not see deeper into the bush more that a few feet. If a bear is coming at you out of the bush, your reaction time is only a few seconds.

I can understand your assessment if a bear is walking towards you in an open area like the one on the beach, where you have excellent visibility and a little time to assess. But in thick bush situations, I would rather be safe than sorry.

Full disclosure. The time I was attacked in the tree, has been the only time I have been in that type of situation. When I am hunting in Grizz country, if I see very fresh sign, I typically head out. Don't want any confrontations with a Grizz and do not want to kill one needlessly.

When most bears see or smell a human, they turn tail and run, but not in every case. This is Jeremy Evans story, can't imaging walking for hours with my eyeball out of its socket and resting on my cheek. Jeremy was VERY LUCKY, as well as very tough.

I have bow hunted in the same vicinity where this happened to him. Reaction time 1.5 seconds, maybe 3.

Last edited by KillerBee; 02/08/24.

KB

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 458Win

I feel a lot safer around big bears as they are honest so you can safely read their intentions
Agree totally on this.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

Six of one, half dozen the other IMHO. The main difference is that the DLP regs are much more forgiving when killing aggressive bears, and that's only if their season is closed in that locale. I buy and carry a locking tag annually just as my Murphy's Law insurance policy, because if any bear charges me, I'm not giving him the benefit of the possibility of a bluff just like I would treat a man who pulls a gun out on me. I'm going to try to shoot him down if I can, because the law affords me that right, and I simply can't trust him. I have a family to take care of.

NRA Life Endowment Member
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
I just thought it was funny he yelled in shear terror and chased after it!!!

458 Win is correct.

BTDT. No time for terror . Things get slow and with excellent clarity!

If it works, it works. Binoculars lack penetration.... I didn't have a 9mm......... smile

Last edited by las; 02/08/24.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Phil,
What’s your take on the bear’s actions in the first video?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by Cntrmass
I just thought it was funny he yelled in shear terror and chased after it!!!

458 Win is correct.

BTDT. No time for terror . Things get slow and with excellent clarity!

If it works, it works. Binoculars lack penetration.... I didn't have a 9mm......... smile
Binocs lack penetration but they do run a bear off if you hit it in the face with them. I've heard the story around our guys.

And while I cannot confirm the 9mm on a brown bear it kills black bears dead. DRT. And while its not my brown bear choice, I never feel bad having one around if thats what I happen to have.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jeremy was VERY LUCKY, as well as very tough.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Jeremy was VERY LUCKY, as well as very tough.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Just curious, what did he do that was Stupid?

If you watched the interview, he just came across a mother Grizz with her cubs?

Alberta put a moratorium on Grizz Hunting years ago, there are way too many now, in my opinion. People getting attacked and killed way too often now.

Remarkable how much damage a little sow can do, I say he was very lucky, lucky for surviving the attack. I have been to the lodge he ended up at.

KB

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I myself am reluctant to just shoot a bear for "being a bear", they have to make me "believe" they are out to eat me very slow, licking my guts out, lol. That's a bad way to go!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 02/09/24.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jeremy WAS quite blessed to have survived. I wasn’t directing my statement at him specifically. I did not watch that video. Reading/watching the other accounts begs the question: why would any sane person provoke or tempt the possibility of a Bear encounter? Especially the photographer posting up on a Bear that could kill him. I would hate to have a surprise encounter with such an animal & then wind up being forced to kill it when they are doing what God created them to do.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye ....

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
This video always makes me think that someone experiencing this would change their minds pretty quick about whether or not they’d want to shoot a bear.
I’m sure these two were wishing they had a gun.

Just my opinion, but I also think they handled it wrong and got lucky. The bear was testing/pressuring them but always ready to take an escape route. Being unarmed, I think they should have been a lot more aggressive, stand their ground and make that bear take those escape routes when it was unsure. It worked out ok for them but not the time to act like potential prey. I think if one of them would have tripped and fallen or separated and ran, it could have been different.

Whenever I’m with my wife or someone else that’s not comfortable in the bush and they’re unarmed, I always remind them that if a bear situation happens; don’t scream, don’t run, and don’t touch me because whatever I have to do I have to get it right.

My brother and friend had a similar experience hiking in northern BC mountains with a group(6-8) of young teenage boys. The boys were ahead on the trail and a black bear started circling around them darting in and out pressuring them trying to separate them. My brother and friend were running hard up the trail and screaming at them to stay together. Being hit with backpacks finally made the bear change its mind and back off for awhile but still dogged them for the rest of the day. Didn’t have rifles so had no choice but to turn around and hike all the way back out again on the same day instead of putting freaked out boys into tents overnight.

Last edited by mod7rem; 03/02/24.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not carrying guns around bears is just stupid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not carrying guns around bears is just stupid.
Yup!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

378 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,647
Posts18,512,552
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.