Print Thread
Hop To
J
Jaaack Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Today I received a very nice Model 20/26. Unfortunately, during shipping the box must have been dropped hard on the end, and the toe of the buttstock split. I have the piece that broke off, and when it is put in place there is only a very faint line to indicate where the break occurred. I would like to glue it back in place, but I would like to do so without damaging the finish on the buttstock.

What should I use for a glue, and what procedure should be followed to prevent damage to the finish?

Thanks for any help.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh boy are you gonna get a lot of responses....

I personally make "V"s with a gouge, but not all the way to the edges, of the damaged area on both sides. Then use a good epoxy, although good wood glue should work too, and clamp the pieces together. I personally use the flexible latex or rubber tubing used in hospitals or that some people use to bleed car brakes to clamp and hold the pieces together.

The idea for the V grooves is it provides more surface area for the adhesive and also gives the adhesive a place to go when you clamp the pieces together.

Last edited by damnesia; 02/09/24.
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Epoxy. Definitely epoxy. Mask it off as close to the break as you can manage. Figure out how you'll clamp it before starting the operation (big rubber bands work well on a tapered/cambered surface), apply thin coat of epoxy - don't goober it up - wipe away the squeezeout with alcohol dampened rag or paper towel, wait a bit and wipe again. When you're satisfied that no more epoxy will weep out remove the tape. Go slow and be careful - you'll do alright.

Why epoxy? Strength mainly, and easy clean up. Super glue is strong but inordinately hard and unyielding, but mainly because it dries fast and it might set up before you're done finagling the broken piece perfectly in position and traces of it may harden on the surface before you can wipe it clean. Yellow glue always wants to leave a raised glue line that begs to be sanded flush after it cures - even at that I would use yellow glue before super glue. Gorilla glue? I honestly don't use it enough to pass judgement.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 02/09/24.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Depends on which type of gorilla glue maybe, but all of I've used expands a bit and makes a mess. Not bad if you're refinishing and it's strong stuff but makes a mess.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
As the others have said, I get bike inertubes, cut them in tow or strips, and wrap the wood parts with them. Glue tends to not stick to the intertube strips. I learned this from Selfbow maker John Strunk.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
And if nothing else works there's always JB Weld!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by S99VG
And if nothing else works there's always JB Weld!

Just Kidding!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gorilla glue.

Before-

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

After-

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Impressive. Didn't the glue expand quite a bit? When I used it on something non-gun related it expanded into a hard, foam like mess. I cleaned it up at first, but it kept expanding slowly during curing. What type of gorilla glue did you use?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by damnesia
Impressive. Didn't the glue expand quite a bit? When I used it on something non-gun related it expanded into a hard, foam like mess. I cleaned it up at first, but it kept expanding slowly during curing. What type of gorilla glue did you use?

I have had no problems like that. I use ratcheting pistol grip clamps with rubber padded jaws. Glue it, wipe it off, come back tomorrow. Couldn't be any easier.

Don't specifically remember *which* gorilla glue. Two part epoxy. Someone will probably tell me it's wrong but it's not. Done too many splits to buy it.

LOL
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Oh ok, it was the epoxy. That's the same epoxy I generally use too. Good stuff.

The original gorilla glue is the foaming stuff I was referring to

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/original-gorilla-glue/

Nice work on that blown up 99.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by damnesia
Oh ok, it was the epoxy. That's the same epoxy I generally use too. Good stuff.

The original gorilla glue is the foaming stuff I was referring to

https://www.gorillatough.com/product/original-gorilla-glue/

Nice work on that blown up 99.

Oops. I too assumed the foamy stuff.

We used West System epoxy by the 50 gallon drums in our boat building shop. That kind of usage warranted WS to send a tech advisor around frequently. I still use West System exclusively (although in way smaller quantities!). A tech guy told me once that most all epoxy resins come out of the same spigot, figuratively speaking, that the differences between brands of epoxy lies mainly in the hardeners.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have used Titebond III Ultimate Wood Glue on a stock the OP explained above. After the repair you cannot tell where the line is ....has been used many years after the repair and no problems. Have used this on many wood projects, and cannot get a repair to break where the original repair was at. Good stuff.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
++ for Titebond III (water clean-up, water-proof set-up) especially for a stock toe, clean split, no stress glue joint. It will not work over varnished or oily woods

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
J
Jaaack Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks to everyone for their input. I elected to go with the Titebond III primarily for the reasons Jeff G cited. It resulted in a very satisfactory repair.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 51 invisible), 2,409 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,548
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.