Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Hipshoot
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
These clowns act like traditional twist are not killing animals. I am not a fan of the .223 on medium game .. Yes it will kill, but something with a bit more bullet wt. would be my preference. The .243 will do, or a nice 7mm=08. If you have all the stuff, I would go with the 6.5.

You Crying CLUELESS Kchunts,who have never shot anything,are a fhuqking riot! Hint.

I could roll hours and hours of kill footage and you wouldn't be able to tell a 223,from a 243,6.5 or 7-08,if only because I shoot them all and a fhuqk of a LOT more. Hint.

17 Rem here. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

22 KHorn here. Hint.

I'd happily countersink a muzzle and scribe "24-223" on the shank,before fretting an archaic "Law",expounded by a Clueless Fhuqking Drooler. Kids connecting dots,make a WAY bigger fhuqk to me. Hint.

Just sayin'............

That deer was shot in the head----look at the bulged eyes!

What do you expect DICK HEAD?

Let him use a rifle at least 24 cal. even if he wears panties!

Dude, you live on Long Island. Come on now.

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Buy a 22 creedmoor in the barrel length and profile that suits them best. Maybe a heavy sporter.

Drop deer, coyotes, and such one after another....

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Yeah, I live on Long Island where there is a bigger population of deer then in Many,Many areas of the United States! They are considered a pest here. I live in a very populated area and my house plot is 100' x100" and i have seen deer across the street as well as flocks of turkey.

And DUH!!!! I don't hunt here but hunt in the Catskill mountains and have shot a lot of deer there where you have to actually hunt for them and not sit in a n elevated blind with hot and cold running water, full kitchens, Hot showers and a flush toilet!

'm talking about hunting here!!!

Hip (A hunter----not a girly man!)

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Yeah, I live on Long Island where there is a bigger population of deer then in Many,Many areas of the United States! They are considered a pest here. I live in a very populated area and my house plot is 100' x100" and i have seen deer across the street as well as flocks of turkey.

And DUH!!!! I don't hunt here but hunt in the Catskill mountains and have shot a lot of deer there where you have to actually hunt for them and not sit in a n elevated blind with hot and cold running water, full kitchens, Hot showers and a flush toilet!

'm talking about hunting here!!!

Hip (A hunter----not a girly man!)

Cool story bro. Do tell me more. I'd love to not hear about it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
These clowns act like traditional twist are not killing animals. I am not a fan of the .223 on medium game .. Yes it will kill, but something with a bit more bullet wt. would be my preference. The .243 will do, or a nice 7mm=08. If you have all the stuff, I would go with the 6.5.

You Crying CLUELESS Kchunts,who have never shot anything,are a fhuqking riot! Hint.

I could roll hours and hours of kill footage and you wouldn't be able to tell a 223,from a 243,6.5 or 7-08,if only because I shoot them all and a fhuqk of a LOT more. Hint.

17 Rem here. Hint.

22 KHorn here. Hint.

I'd happily countersink a muzzle and scribe "24-223" on the shank,before fretting an archaic "Law",expounded by a Clueless Fhuqking Drooler. Kids connecting dots,make a WAY bigger fhuqk to me. Hint.

Just sayin'............

Skull fu c ked is the proper term

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

17 Rem here. Hint.

22 KHorn here. Hint.

Just sayin'............

What do you expect DICK HEAD?

Let him use a rifle at least 24 cal. even if he wears panties!

Kchunt Shoot,

Meat simply gets shot in the face. Hint.

Pickles don't. 1-8" 223AI. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I went with the Tikka T3 Compact chambered for .243 Win 1:8" twist for 11-12yo Grand daughter who wanted to hunt white tails here in KY. Leupold 1.5-5x20 on top. Minimal recoil. Forgiving eye box. A 95gr NPT sealed the deal on her second hunt.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Have never seen a Teeker in 22-250. Hint. LAUGHING!

The 77 Sugar TMK is an easy pass,due it's pedestrian .420 BC and added mass,as compared to the 75 ELD M's .467 BC and svelte figure. One grabs some speed and reaps improved atmospherics and higher impact velocties,with better Terminal Effects. The TMK is made with a schitty profile,to play nice in AR confines. I prefer the 75gr Hornie HPBT there,as they fend trips up feed ramps happily and are ruggedly fhuqking RELIABLE. Win/win. Hint.

CTR 223 COAL is 2.600",while T3X OEM 223 mags are hilariously fhuqking trite. Hint.

Just sayin'..................

Back in the early 80s I worked on a diesel barge outside of Ketchikan with a guy who used to hunt moose with a 22-250. At 200 yards they were dropping 47 feet and getting less than an inch of penetration on woodchucks. I used to tell him all the time that he needed upgrade the CTM with CTR12 chromoly backed with vanadium, put colored tape on the scope to boost muzzle velocity, and load a batch of 57 hootenanypoppers but he ended up selling the rifle and got a job at Howard Johnson's. Moral of the story: HOW MANY TIMES DOES STICK HAVE TO RE-TEACH YOU MORONS THE SAME THING? NEVER STOP STICK. NEVER STOP FIGHTING. THROW MORE IN THE CREEK. MAKE THEM LEARN.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I went with the Tikka T3 Compact chambered for .243 Win 1:8" twist for 11-12yo Grand daughter who wanted to hunt white tails here in KY. Leupold 1.5-5x20 on top. Minimal recoil. Forgiving eye box. A 95gr NPT sealed the deal on her second hunt.

You expect us to believe a .243 killed a deer? The photos are clearly AI generated and Stick hasn't even seen them. How many times did you throw the rifle in the creek? If it's less than 30 we know you're lying.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Full3r
My oldest is 13 and we are setting up a rifle for her and her siblings to use. Looking hard at the tikka compacts, but trying to decide on a caliber. Down road I can rebarrel to whatever as have all tools needed to do this.

For an off the shelf rifle for antelope/deer and some limited target shooting with it how would you go???

.243 Win
6.5 Creed
.22-250

Will be running reloads and have stuff for all the above.

Input appreciated from guys who have been down this road.

All the youth who've tried it have liked my 6.5CM Howa with a B&C youth stock on it.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
125 gr reduced loads- very light recoil
Daughter has been shooting it since she was 10 now 17 she loves the 308.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
223 by lightyears. Hint..............

Have a tikka t1x in .22lr in a compact stock and also have a .223 compact on way. Was wondering if it would do everything they will most likely do as it s 1:8 and have several decent .224 bullets on bench.

Wasn’t sure if I should look at something g heavier or just run 65gr sgk or 77gr TMK’s in the .223 and go forth…..

You are there. The step from the T1/22 to the T3x/223 will be easy. If one of the kids is especially recoil sensitive you can even download the 223's practice rounds since you hand load.

Taking kids hunting is awesome when they have fun and take to it. I was asked to take a nephew out for his first buck a few years ago. He borrowed a 223 and after we practiced a bit he placed a 62 grain Federal Fusion bullet neatly behind the shoulder of a 7 point. (The wound was tremendous and the buck died quickly by the way. The tissue damage looked more like a wound from a 270-type cartridge.)

Enjoy those hunts and take lots of pics. They grow old fast and those memories will mean a lot.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
My oldest is 13 and we are setting up a rifle for her and her siblings to use. Looking hard at the tikka compacts, but trying to decide on a caliber. Down road I can rebarrel to whatever as have all tools needed to do this.

For an off the shelf rifle for antelope/deer and some limited target shooting with it how would you go???

.243 Win
6.5 Creed
.22-250

Will be running reloads and have stuff for all the above.

Input appreciated from guys who have been down this road.
It’s too bad they don’t chamber a bunch of factory rifles in 250 savage. It’s the cartridge I wanted to start my kids with.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I’m with the .223 crowd.....

Light loads in a .223 to start, then on to full power stuff as they grow.
Deer/antelope die easily if hit properly.
Once old enough/proficient enough, I’d go 6.5. CM and never look back - load it light, medium or heavy depending on the the need..... the road map to success....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Yep .223 gets my vote too!

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
243 gets my vote. Doesn't need to be a fast twist either. You don't even need a fancy scope or a fancy bullet. Some guys overthink this schidt. It would look something like this:

Rifle:
1. Winchester model 70 featherweight
2. Tikka T3x lite or superlite
3. Sako AII
4. Ruger RAR
5. Stevens 200
6. Myriad of other rifles that would work perfectly

Scope:
1. Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle

Bullet:
1. Hornady 100gr BTSP interlock

Keep it simple, like what is outlined, and it's really hard to go wrong, or screw up. After that, practice, practice and more practice. Teach them to learn that reticle, and I guarantee they can be deadly out to 500 yards, with this combo.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
243 gets my vote. Doesn't need to be a fast twist either. You don't even need a fancy scope or a fancy bullet. Some guys overthink this schidt. It would look something like this:

Rifle:
1. Winchester model 70 featherweight
2. Tikka T3x lite or superlite
3. Sako AII

Scope:
1. Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle

Bullet:
1. Hornady 100gr BTSP interlock

Keep it simple, like what is outlined, and it's really hard to go wrong, or screw up. After that, practice, practice and more practice. Teach them to learn that reticle, and I guarantee they can be deadly out to 500 yards, with this combo.

Your 6mm "Understanding" is Fhuqking HILARIOUS!. Hint.

The 223 simply gets the nod,with a real scope and real projectile. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Buford_T_Justice
Originally Posted by Orion2000

You expect us to believe a .243 killed a deer? The photos are clearly AI generated and Stick hasn't even seen them. How many times did you throw the rifle in the creek? If it's less than 30 we know you're lying.

L O L O L O L ! ! ! ... Don't need the sarcasm font for this one... smile ... As BSA said, don't overthink it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
243 seems like the best choice to me, especially given that you handload.

Don't listen to the guy who is recirculating 15 year old pictures. Miraculously for a game slayer who loves to brag about success and wares, there are no recent game kill photos.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
All my kids started antelope hunting with youth model .243s and 7mm-08s. All standard twists, all crappy BC bullets, and at least one of the rifles isn’t even sub-MOA (Gasp!!!)….but the rifles fit them well, the kids shot straight and we made an effort to get them within the ranges they were comfortable shooting.

This was my youngest boys first season and he used his Tikka superlite 7-08 with a 120 NBT. I started him with reduced loads and he now shoots pretty well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

In the .243s we have mostly used the 85 TSX

If I was starting from scratch I would take a hard look at the 6mm CM and the 95 LRX. We shoot that bullet in my 6-06 and it is a hammer without excessive damage to the real trophy on an antelope.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,396
Posts18,488,877
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.