Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My early Montana .243 had to go back to fix accuracy and feeding issues. It’s been flawless ever since.

My 270 84L irritated me something awful so I ordered a bbl to build a 1:8 270. When I pulled the scope bases off I found that the front scope base screw was contacting the bbl tenon, most likely the cause of my frustration but by then I was in project mode so the factory bbl got pulled.

Factory Montanas in 223, and 7-08 both shoot quite well as does a factory Pro-Varmint in 223.

I ordered 2 .224 1:7 Liljas today for 2 used Kimbers I bought specifically to re-barrel. One will be a 223, the other will be either a 22-250 or 22 Creed, haven’t made up my mind yet.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
HR IC

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Horse1 are those Lilia’s the same profile as the Montana?

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I have a couple of BGR’s that shoot really well. A 280 and a 270

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am with Ingwe! I have dealt with a bunch and most were okay, nothing special, ever. However, the worst example was so far beyond pathetic there is absolutely no excuse for the complete lack of customer service and bullshit lying, useless "gunsmiths" working for them.

338WM with failure to fire issues... chamber cast showed .100 excess between belt and shoulder. Bumped neck and reloaded with a false shoulder for owner. He bought factory when he lost his ammo and suddenly found his ass being kicked by a bull moose when he had a failure to fire situation on a closing, wounded bull.

First return to Kimber produced a returned rifle they claimed to have "replaced the bolt" on. 100% lie... returned it with a chamber cast and specific directions on problem laid out exactly. Returned with claim to have refinished externally... no comment on chamber cast and nothing done to remedy chamber. They responded I needed to return it again. I was never handed off to an actual person with any knowledge of basic gunsmithing, despite my many requests.

Had a thread turned off and rechambered. Owner is afraid to use it due to the huge run of issues.

Called the folks who bought the last 20 Kimbers from me. Three were still in the original owners possession. Two of those had shot their Kimbers only a very few times...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rockdoc

I'm not horse but have used Lilja barrels on a couple - and the answer is yes - Kim 84L/M is the contour depending on short or long action.

You can also get a modified contour that is identical through the forearm, then at the end of the forearm tapers very little/none out to finished length. Adds a bit of weight forward and about 3-4 oz Total. I like the 84m mod taper alot for a SA.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Years ago I also had a Lilja fast twist factory contour put on my 84M (7mm/08) for the 224 TTH. I shot it for a few years, then had the 7mm put back on to sell the rifle. I gave the Lilja barrel to a friend. It was an extremely good shooter!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by bwinters
You can also get a modified contour that is identical through the forearm, then at the end of the forearm tapers very little/none out to finished length. Adds a bit of weight forward and about 3-4 oz Total. I like the 84m mod taper alot for a SA.

Lilja has several modified Kimber contours with extra weight out front like you described. The first is shortactionsmoker's mod84m, which is likely the one you used. I had Lilja draw up a slightly heavier version with even less taper, which they refer to as the modk84L. This contour works with both 84Ls and 84Ms - you simply have the smith cut the shank to fit. There's also a mod8400 for the WSMs and such.
The additional weight out front helps the balance significantly, especially with the heavier scopes most of us tend to use nowadays compared to days of yore. A little more weight out towards the muzzle sure helps with offhand/less than fully steady field position shooting.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Yes, 0 inletting required. I have the Kim84M on a Montana in 1:8 22-250 and a 204 Varmint I barreled and Montana stocked in 1:7 223Rem. I have the Kim84L on the aforementioned 270Win.

Kim84M:

https://riflebarrels.com/wp-content/uploads/kim84m.pdf

Kim84L for long action direct fit.

Here's a link to Lilja's factory contour page showing a list of contours they have all the data to produce without having to send them a bbl to copy or any other data.

https://riflebarrels.com/factory-contours/

Last edited by horse1; 02/09/24.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Thank you!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Lilja has several modified Kimber contours with extra weight out front like you described. The first is shortactionsmoker's mod84m, which is likely the one you used. I had Lilja draw up a slightly heavier version with even less taper, which they refer to as the modk84L. This contour works with both 84Ls and 84Ms - you simply have the smith cut the shank to fit. There's also a mod8400 for the WSMs and such.
The additional weight out front helps the balance significantly, especially with the heavier scopes most of us tend to use nowadays compared to days of yore. A little more weight out towards the muzzle sure helps with offhand/less than fully steady field position shooting.
I completely agree. I've had KS Arms do a couple of modified dupes for me, one on an 8400 WSM and another on an 84m, and I much prefer the balance of the modified contour.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have longed for a 22" mod contour Lilja barrel in plain Jane 280 Rem built on a Kimber Montana LA. To me, and for what I do, that would be close to Nirvana. I'd likely set it up to shoot 160 Accubonds, with more than a passing thought to the 175 ABLR. The 175 may pose some throating issues given the mag box constraints of the MT platform - but I'd live with a 160 NAB. I've never shot an animal past 400 yards in almost 50 years of hunting. I have passed on more than a few - mainly due to wind - I simply wasn't sure of a killing shot.

A 22" Lilja Mod taper 84L Kimber Montana with steel mounts (prob go Burris) and a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15×42 would tip the scales at 7lbs 3-4-5 oz. I could hunt most of what I do for the rest of my hunting days with said rifle.

If my current Montana 270 didn't shoot 150 NAB so dang well.......

And yeah I know a 280/160 NAB doesn't gain much over a 270/150 NAB but I still want one. There is magic in the 284 bore <G>

S
spj Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Have a Montana in 30-06 with a basic 2x7 Leupold. Just a tad over 6.5 lbs with a 24 inch barrel. First two rounds are never more than 1/2 apart at 100, then it opens up a bit. Feeds flawlessly, easily shoots 150 Interlocks and Partitions at 3,000 and 165 Ballistic Tips at 2950. Now it you don't get your primers bottomed out it will not go bang, and at first the brass after chambering looks like you took a dremel to it. Had to do some polishing. Hard not to grab it every time.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have longed for a 22" mod contour Lilja barrel in plain Jane 280 Rem built on a Kimber Montana LA. To me, and for what I do, that would be close to Nirvana. I'd likely set it up to shoot 160 Accubonds, with more than a passing thought to the 175 ABLR. The 175 may pose some throating issues given the mag box constraints of the MT platform - but I'd live with a 160 NAB. I've never shot an animal past 400 yards in almost 50 years of hunting. I have passed on more than a few - mainly due to wind - I simply wasn't sure of a killing shot.

A 22" Lilja Mod taper 84L Kimber Montana with steel mounts (prob go Burris) and a Trijicon Credo 2.5-15×42 would tip the scales at 7lbs 3-4-5 oz. I could hunt most of what I do for the rest of my hunting days with said rifle.

And yeah I know a 280/160 NAB doesn't gain much over a 270/150 NAB but I still want one. There is magic in the 284 bore <G>

Were I putting together a 7mm on an 84L I’d give serious thought to a 7x57. Perfect mag length for long heavies in the ol’ Mauser cartridge. In fact I very nearly typed the magic words just this morning on the 84L classic in the classifieds, with plans to build such a rifle, but I was able to refrain.

You’re likely right on with your weight estimate. For comparison my 84L Montana in 6mm Stuver with 6 decimeter long barrel in the modk84L contour, with steel Warne rings and bases, an SWFA 3-9, and a full magazine and sling tips the scales at 7 lbs 10.0 ounces.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by BKinSD
No hesitation in buying a Kimber at this house.

Think I currently have around a dozen or so.

Fantastic rifles.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
AAA French Select 308.Shoot's Fed blue box 1" and my load's with old Win power points 3/4". Feed's nice and smooth.Good one so far. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Were I putting together a 7mm on an 84L I’d give serious thought to a 7x57. Perfect mag length for long heavies in the ol’ Mauser cartridge. In fact I very nearly typed the magic words just this morning on the 84L classic in the classifieds, with plans to build such a rifle, but I was able to refrain.

You’re likely right on with your weight estimate. For comparison my 84L Montana in 6mm Stuver with 6 decimeter long barrel in the modk84L contour, with steel Warne rings and bases, an SWFA 3-9, and a full magazine and sling tips the scales at 7 lbs 10.0 ounces.

I’m always looking for a donor for such a build. I think the Mauser would be pretty awesome in the 84L.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I went so far as build dummy cartridges in 7x57 with various bullets. They all fed well. I'd prob still go 280 Rem - have all the components plus a bit more fuel storage ain't a bad thing.

Looking for one of those $800 Kimber Montana LAs.... wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 84L is wayyyyyy too short on COAL,for a 280 or 280AI. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

180 ELD magfed Smooches,do nice thangs. Hint.

Just sayin'..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
That’s worth a spout.

Brass and powder?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PPU/'26/200's. Chamber is right enough,that there's no false shoulder. Hint.

It's THE Giant Killer. Modest fhuqking felt recoil,exceptional handling and INCREDIBLE down range performance. Hint...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,731
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.