Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well on my way to being the Bionic Man, both knees replaced and now the left shoulder. Had to do the "Reverse" as there was nothing left, too many years in the concrete business and toss some football in. The Doc wanted to know if he could use the X-rays in his classes to show what a really bad, no cartilage, bone on bone wore out joint looks like for his students, sure why not...

Two weeks out and it hurt less the day after surgery than the day before. Start real rehab in a couple of weeks. Will see where I wind up.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I wish you a good and speedy recovery, sir.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Good luck to you, man. The concrete business will sure beat up your body.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I'm glad your pain is going away, Pain is a big suck. I hope things go well WM.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The physical therapy after the surgery seems to be VERY significant in the recovery process. I followed through on the MD's advice, the therapists' routines and am still quite pleased with the outcome years later. Tylenol (or other non-opioid pain medicine) may be needed to get through some rough spots. Best wishes, sounds like a difficult shoulder repair.

“You must endeavour to enjoy the pleasure of doing good. That is all that makes life valuable.”
Robert E. Lee, in a letter to his invalid wife.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Best to you my friend.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I’ve heard mixed results from shoulder surgeries. Do what the drs tell ya and good luck!!!

Last edited by gregintenn; 02/10/24.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Border Doc
The physical therapy after the surgery seems to be VERY significant in the recovery process. I followed through on the MD's advice, the therapists' routines and am still quite pleased with the outcome years later. Tylenol (or other non-opioid pain medicine) may be needed to get through some rough spots. Best wishes, sounds like a difficult shoulder repair.
I don't do Opioids well, took the Oxycodone for the night of the surgery (Monday) and for the two and half hour ride home on advice of the cutter and his nurses, (stay ahead of your pain) had to spend the night as the wife can not see well to drive at night, I skipped the 8:00 PM on Tuesday and have done fine.

The nerve block worked really well and I have been doing Tylenol since as needed, I cut it out after a week, the reverse regimen is no real rehab for 4 weeks from the guy and he has done 4K shoulders and seems to know his business. Cleaned out the Tylenol and am applying Wild Turkey 101 for a toddy to get to sleep at night. Still in my recliner wearing the sling/bumper pad thingie.

I heard all the horror stories about a shoulder replacement, but so far has not been as bad as the knees, so I am good. Rehab may be a bitch but will face that as it comes.

Last knee was on July 27th, I was climbing a cow face in the Crazies November 20th same year to harvest the bull in my avatar, all under Dr.s orders. Will do the same on this.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I had the same shoulder replacement about 5 years ago. Same problems, nothing left to fix. No muscles to do them with. Mine was fom dragging pack strings all over the Rocky Mountains . Every once in awhile a mule in the string would decide to go elsewhere or stop so suddenly it will jerk your arm back. Plus slinging packs and a lot of things that abused the shoulder.

The nerve block paralyzed on side of my diaphragm. I woke up the night after getting home and could not breath. Spent three days in a cardiac observation ward.This doctor is supposedly the best in town.

One of the more common problems is the doc has to go back in and put a spacer in if the shoulder pops out often. Mine does and I deferred the 2nd surgery. Didn't want to go thru that again. I got use to popping it back in.

A shoulder replacement is much more technical than a knew replacement.The reverse is even more so.

I need two new knees, but the experience left me cold for any more new body parts and I probably would not live thru the surgery anyway. Lungs and heart are not working very good now at my age .

Good luck. I hope your's went well.

Saddlesore

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/10/24.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Who was the doctor and what brand implant did you receive? It always surprises me the number of people who cannot answer the latter...

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Dr. Willis. Southern Joint Replacement Center. Tri Star Centennial, Nashville, TN.

No clue on the brand of new parts.

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Did you do the robotics surgery, I had both knees replaced 3-1/2 years ago, so it was old way. My wife had the robotic knee replacement 6 months ago, it is a total different everything, amazing how fast she recovered, I ask the Doctor about shoulder’s and he said robotic for that too, I know it’s coming also.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by worriedman
Dr. Willis. Southern Joint Replacement Center. Tri Star Centennial, Nashville, TN.

No clue on the brand of new parts.

Good Doctor. Went to med school in Memphis, fellowship trained at FOI (Florida Orthopedic Institute) in Tampa, probably under Roy Sanders, he is the GodFather there. Stryker has ~50% of the shoulder market.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Did my left shoulder Thursday morning! Total reverse..........I am black and blue but recovering well. Have a lot of muscle soreness.
I have taken the opioids to get me over the top but will stop after my first PT session Monday morning.
Wish you well.
x

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good for you... and glad to hear less pain than expected.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
My buddy John played SEC football for 4 years. Then he was in the Atlanta Rugby League for 6 years. He said rugby was worse than football. He has had TKR both knees. He also had total shoulder replacement in the right shoulder. The surgery went well, except he can't split firewood any more.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
My buddy John played SEC football for 4 years. Then he was in the Atlanta Rugby League for 6 years. He said rugby was worse than football. He has had TKR both knees. He also had total shoulder replacement in the right shoulder. The surgery went well, except he can't split firewood any more.
Well, if he can wipe his hinney without pain that is a win. If I have to hire one of those two things done, I prefer to buy split wood...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I’m due for a 3-D printed knee in a couple of months. Outpatient, and PT will be at home with a visiting tech. Supposed to last 25-30 years, which oughta be long enough.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I like to hear success stories like this, considering my situation...
I was scheduled for a reverse shoulder a couple weeks ago. It's not hurting most of the time. My biggest problem is that my left hand goes to sleep all the time. It's putting pressure on a nerve somewhere. I decided it'll have to hurt a LOT worse than it does now before I have it done.
The doc is suspicious of the hand numbness and has me set up for a nerve scan in a couple weeks. We rescheduled the shoulder until April just to keep a date open without another 6 month wait. That way if I need carpal tunnel surgery or something, I'm already scheduled in.
Besides, I'm building a complete set of kitchen cabinets and don't have time to mess around with having my arm cut off.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Good luck on this. My wife just went through this, it wasn’t fun. Do your followup PT religiously.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (16penny, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.