Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Go bust one of those 300 pound mulies or big whitetails on the shoulder with that 53 grainer and see how that works out for ya.
It will work just fine. You should stop guessing on stuff you know nothing about.

Wow dude. I have literally killed deer with about every configuration of .224 or 6mm bullet you can throw at me. Oklahoma requires 55 grain 224 bullets and up, so we can start there. I have seen some deer get absolutely smashed by a 55 grain bullet from a 223 and then I've seen some take it and run off never to be recovered. I've seen and done the same thing with varmint bullets in a 243 but have yet to see any problems with a proper hunting bullet from a 243 win. I have no guess work involved. It's 30 years and literally hundreds of deer that I stand behind when it comes to what works and what can work, but isn't necessarily the best option. Will your 53 grain bullet work? Yes. Will it fail more than that of a bigger cal? Most definitely. And I promise you, we've ran the fast twist 22 cal schit way more on deer sized game than you have bud, I know that for sure. An 80 grain berger from a 22-243 is great, almost a 243 win and 105s, but it's not never will be. My boy's 10 and he shoots a 280 rem and 140s. I've seen and shot deer that did some dumb schit after being hit, even with the bigger magnums. If you think I'm guessing, then you got the wrong impression my friend. I skinned 30 deer this fall, I think I have a clue about what a certain bullets capability is on deer/antelope sized game. But unless you have seen what a few 3/4 ton trucks with deer piled to the cab, then you more than likely have no idea what I'm talking about. My buddy shot over 50 does in one year with his 22 cheetah and will still tell you it's not a deer rifle. Keep using your pea shooters, it'll bite you one day.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by Brad
A 53 grain bullet won't even legal in most states, and open country elk? Come on buddy.

Thankfully I don't live in those states...

So, is it legal to hunt any elk, in any state with a .224 cal or 53 grain bullet?

Thankfully here in MT we trust people to have the good sense God gave a walnut. So yeah, it's legal here.

Don't make much sense to me to shoot an elk with a 22 centerfire, but I ain't from Montana either.
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Some of you guys LIVE to make easy problems into difficult/complicated ones.

Buy a .243, call it a day, take the kid hunting.

Kinda been saying that.
Go back and find the countless number of elk pics scenatshooter used to post. 220 Swift and 55 grain Hornady.

I doubt you have enough fingers and toes to count em up.

Is “scenatshooter” a 13-year old girl, just started shooting centerfire rifles at large game??

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A 53 grain bullet won't even legal in most states, and open country elk? Come on buddy.

Thankfully I don't live in those states...

So, is it legal to hunt any elk, in any state with a .224 cal or 53 grain bullet?

Thankfully here in MT we trust people to have the good sense God gave a walnut. So yeah, it's legal here.

Don't make much sense to me to shoot an elk with a 22 centerfire, but I ain't from Montana either.
Some of you guys LIVE to make easy problems into difficult/complicated ones.

Buy a .243, call it a day, take the kid hunting.

Kinda been saying that.
Go back and find the countless number of elk pics scenatshooter used to post. 220 Swift and 55 grain Hornady.

I doubt you have enough fingers and toes to count em up.

Is “scenatshooter” a 13-year old girl, just start shooting centerfire rifles at large game??
Nope. But if we restrict this discussion to kills only a 13 year old kid has made then more than half of the replies here need tossed out.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are none so blind as those who will not see.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by goalie
Man, if they still had the 6mm creed barreled action Howa's at Brownell's I'd get one in a heartbeat and throw it in that B&C youth stock for the ultimate kids/loaner deer rifle.

Deer are not exactly hard to kill.
No they aren't.

A big deer around here goes 250#, hardly a big animal.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
OK. 13 year old girl and her siblings.
To the OP, how much field/hunting experience does your daughter and her siblings have on deer sized game?
Can they shoot, aquire targets/game?
What's their limitations on distance?
Is recoil an issue?

Also, sorry for the derailment, different strokes for different folks. Obviously nobody does things the same.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To the OP, sorry for all the hijacks.

I’ve started out a lot of kids into shooting, and I did it contrary to how my dad started me. To be fair, he didn’t know any better and he didn’t have the time or the resources I did. Three kids under the age of three and 25 years old, he did a damn good job keeping food in our bellies, clothes on our backs, and a roof over our heads. But giving a skinny kid a model 70 30-06 with no sissy pad is a recipe for a flinch and boy howdy I still have it.

Whatever you choose, make sure the rifle fits. Fit goes a long way towards recoil tolerance.

Speaking of which, start them out easy. There are some, myself included, who believe in the lethality of the .223, given proper bullet. Clearly, that’s not your only choice.

Whatever you choose, make it fun. You won’t go wrong if you keep it fun.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Go bust one of those 300 pound mulies or big whitetails on the shoulder with that 53 grainer and see how that works out for ya.
It will work just fine. You should stop guessing on stuff you know nothing about.

Wow dude. I have literally killed deer with about every configuration of .224 or 6mm bullet you can throw at me. Oklahoma requires 55 grain 224 bullets and up, so we can start there. I have seen some deer get absolutely smashed by a 55 grain bullet from a 223 and then I've seen some take it and run off never to be recovered. I've seen and done the same thing with varmint bullets in a 243 but have yet to see any problems with a proper hunting bullet from a 243 win. I have no guess work involved. It's 30 years and literally hundreds of deer that I stand behind when it comes to what works and what can work, but isn't necessarily the best option. Will your 53 grain bullet work? Yes. Will it fail more than that of a bigger cal? Most definitely. And I promise you, we've ran the fast twist 22 cal schit way more on deer sized game than you have bud, I know that for sure. An 80 grain berger from a 22-243 is great, almost a 243 win and 105s, but it's not never will be. My boy's 10 and he shoots a 280 rem and 140s. I've seen and shot deer that did some dumb schit after being hit, even with the bigger magnums. If you think I'm guessing, then you got the wrong impression my friend. I skinned 30 deer this fall, I think I have a clue about what a certain bullets capability is on deer/antelope sized game. But unless you have seen what a few 3/4 ton trucks with deer piled to the cab, then you more than likely have no idea what I'm talking about. My buddy shot over 50 does in one year with his 22 cheetah and will still tell you it's not a deer rifle. Keep using your pea shooters, it'll bite you one day.

Sounds like you're not lacking in experience, just the ability to interpret data. For example, seeing problems with a 223 and also with bigger magnums (i.e. they all do weird stuff sometimes).
I'm not surprised that a 22 CHeetah was found wanting. Experience shows that high speeds with cup and cores isn't the best combo.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would recommend 243. I started my son off with one and used the hornady reduced recoil sst load. Took several deer with no issues. Eventually move to full throttle loads with 100 Sierra Pro Hunter and he took several nice trophies including mature Mule Deer and big TX pan handle bucks. Simply a superb little cartridge.

Lou

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Yep, silly me. I thought this was a thread about “What’s a good kid’s deer rifle?”, not “Will a .22 cal kill a deer?”…

Nothing like a 24HCF thread derailment…

Nighty night…

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, silly me. I thought this was a thread about “What’s a good kid’s deer rifle?”, not “Will a .22 cal kill a deer?”…

Nighty night…

See first response.
Rem 700 243 1:8

But that 223 is deadly🤪

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Nighty night…
My bad. Thought I saw a 22-250 mentioned in the original post.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Nighty night…
My bad. Thought I saw a 22-250 mentioned in the original post.

It certainly was 😆

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would pick any of the above in the original post.

OP handloads, means the loads can be adjusted from reduced to full power. Trailboss, H4895, starting, medium and full power powder charges. There are plenty of bullets that will work in the above cartridges at chosen velocity that will cleanly kill deer and antelope.

IMO, the most important thing is picking a rifle that fits, and the kid likes. Have them shoot it a bunch. Confidence and familiarity will lead to success.

Arguing about what a 22 cal is capable of, is not the point of this thread. But I will say that a 53gr TSX at 3800fps out of a 22-250 will cleanly take an awful lot of critters. Been there, done that. Have never recovered a bullet in over 50 animals. I would not hesitate to use it on elk in open country.

I will repeat myself, we are talking about kids, A huge amount of variables exist. But letting them pick a rifle that fits, and giving them the range time to become competent and confident goes a very long way to success in the field. Every kid is not the same in mental, and physical capabilities.

We like to nitpick about many things on here, but a lot can be solved simply by shooting a bunch at expected hunting ranges.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No one likes a 243 more than me, due to rifles, ammo selection recoil etc, I’d go 6.5 cm

And I’ll never own a 6.5 cm😂

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Judman
No one likes a 243 more than me, due to rifles, ammo selection recoil etc, I’d go 6.5 cm

You’d look good with a man bun.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CRS
I would pick any of the above in the original post.

OP handloads, means the loads can be adjusted from reduced to full power. Trailboss, H4895, starting, medium and full power powder charges. There are plenty of bullets that will work in the above cartridges at chosen velocity that will cleanly kill deer and antelope.

IMO, the most important thing is picking a rifle that fits, and the kid likes. Have them shoot it a bunch. Confidence and familiarity will lead to success.

Arguing about what a 22 cal is capable of, is not the point of this thread. But I will say that a 53gr TSX at 3800fps out of a 22-250 will cleanly take an awful lot of critters. Been there, done that. Have never recovered a bullet in over 50 animals. I would not hesitate to use it on elk in open country.

I will repeat myself, we are talking about kids, A huge amount of variables exist. But letting them pick a rifle that fits, and giving them the range time to become competent and confident goes a very long way to success in the field. Every kid is not the same in mental, and physical capabilities.

We like to nitpick about many things on here, but a lot can be solved simply by shooting a bunch at expected hunting ranges.

Good post. We might as well argue about what won't work well. If you want a kid to stay interested in shooting and become proficient, get them something they can shoot well, and not get beat up when they pull the trigger. I also hear a lot of guys suggesting the 53 TSX. A fast twist 22-250 will sling a 62 TTSX just fine. If I had to use a 22 cal, that's the bullet I'd lean toward, since we are picking nits. Been doing some testing with that on in particular in one of my 22-250's, and it's working out quite well on paper and steel.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

You’d look good with a man bun.

P

Ummm, I haven’t had hair in 20 years. 😆

But I probably would loook good with a bun!haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Agree, will never own another. I have owned a couple of Creeds and a 6.5x55. 6.5 PRC and 6.8 Western have me intrigued, but... Hand me a 270 and I am good. A fast twist 270, even better.

Back to the OP, any of the cartridges will work. A lot a flexibility with handloads and todays bullets.

Trigger time is paramount with young shooters.

Last edited by CRS; 02/11/24.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
T
Tikka 6.5 creedmoor , guns and ammo everywhere at decent price.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 53 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,698
Posts18,475,238
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.