Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Cold joint and not enough rebar.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

GB1

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
rebar is way to small for starters.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Buckling, compressive failure / overload.

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Paid off building inspector.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Not enough or undersized rebar would not be a cause of compressive failure, no?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I figured it out, I'm changing my answer to "7."

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Torqued
I'm not a concrete guy by any stretch.
But I see a horizontal line going around the top of the blow out,where the pour was possibly continued the following day. Also don't see any more rebar in the chunks that are contained by the rebar. Possibly not enough rebar for that column.

I believe that that is a cap, in the design of the column, not sure, but I believe it is. Someone mentioned the cold, poor and you could see a vertical separation on an angle, which might be a cold pour. Interesting stuff to say the least Also, was it under engineered? Was the weight load that it was designed to hold two great for that column. At the end of the day somebody screwed up and somebody’s going to pay for that :-)

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The floor above is where they filmed that Jardiance commercial with the Blue Whale lady.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Miscalculation in the design department. Steel reinforcement not adequate for load.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rebar x-ties left out. Just a wag.

@jameslavish

If you work 40 hrs/wk: at 5% inflation and after 5 years, you need a 28% pay raise or to work 44 more hours (*one full extra week* per month+) to make up the difference.

This is inflation
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Rocky could have something there.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by BamBam
For column that size, it sure looks like they skimp on rebar. Not even installed properly. The verticals look like the number three bar the horizontals I think are way undersized. Not enough steel in that column. Also not installed properly. Just my two. Cents.

When I was a union carpenter we formed quite a few forms for concrete. The placement of the rebar is too far to the outside. I never saw rebar that close to the outside. Like some othere noticed is there is a crack half way up on a 45 degree angle. If they ran out of concrete and left the first load on an angle like that , it is surely the problem. I have been on jobs that ran short . However, we always made sure the top of the concrete was level when we were waiting on more concrete. If that is the case they should have at least cut 12" rebar and stuck in in the top when waiting for the next load I would have stuck at least a dozen rebars vertically in the top and maybe some horizontal rebar and even tied the " hors" to the vertical rebar, and use 1" rebar at least. The next load comes and the concrete sits flat on the first load , the rebar keeps it from going anywhere. Also, there is a down spout there that could have been leaking for decades. If it gets good and wet , freezes , , thaws , gets wet , 50 times a winter that could surely start to pop the concrete. However, it doesnt look like it is stained from water though , but could be a problem We see how concrete driveways will have a 1" crack . At least up north where frost can raise a whole foundation up 1" and crack the whole basement wall.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Torqued
I'm not a concrete guy by any stretch.
But I see a horizontal line going around the top of the blow out,where the pour was possibly continued the following day. Also don't see any more rebar in the chunks that are contained by the rebar. Possibly not enough rebar for that column.

I saw it as a patch up ? ( thickness of concrete on the right facial plane, outside rebar) the surrounding floor has been torn up, there's what appears to be a cistern against the wall on the right.
There is a shearing scar that goes from 10-4 inside the bar but rather than a big crack it tried to liquify inside?
Could have been struck by the machine that removed the floor on the side we cant see.
No cracks on the surround so we can rule out earthquake and its really too close to the exterior walls to conclude it was load alone. I dont see seams to indicate it was a prestressed panel exterior.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It broke.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gravity. The answer is gravity.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Poured it in below freezing temps

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
First impression improper concrete/curing.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The floor above is where they filmed that Jardiance commercial with the Blue Whale lady.

Maybe LBP was doing a photo shoot up there?

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Could be a combination of things already mentioned, cold joint, improper bar placement, but the black tie wire has been suspected in some structural bridge failures so now an epoxy covered wire or stainless wire has been used at the facility near me.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Could be numerous and multiple reasons.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

217 members (12344mag, 160user, 338rcm, 22kHornet, 2UP, 20 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,759
Posts18,476,448
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.