-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just finished reading it last night. It was written by John Barsness . Copyrighted 1994. It was a very good read, I really liked the descriptive prose . There was a lot of the author in it. Very enjoyable. My only gripe is the title, I'm from the west coast of BC, Montana is an eastern state. chuckle.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ha!

Glad you liked it....

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
1989, my college roommate and I split the cost of the '89 Gun Digest. In it was an article about hunting the west by a fellow named Barsness. First article of Mule Deers that I read

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Believe that was my first article for Gun Digest--though I'd written a couple for Handloader's Digest before then.

That was when I first started writing for gun magazines. Had been making a living writing for a wide range of magazines before then, including fishing, hunting, Wester history and "general interest", but 20 years later gun magazines had turned into my steadiest income.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ha!

Love to read it, how do I find it?

We deal in lead, friend.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
That Gun Digest and a copy of Skeeter Skelton's Good Friends, Good Guns, Good Whiskey were my reading after studying....kept me sane. I've still got the Skelton book and my buddy still has the Gun Digest. We'd visit the Northside Scheels in Fargo on Saturday to drool over guns. Fellow who worked there was kinder to us than folks at the other two Scheels stores who knew we were too broke to buy much. Later on, roommate bought quite a few guns from that salesman and I bought a couple as well. He was playing his long game and it paid off.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
41Rem, When I find a book recommendation that interested me, I check Triftbooks (sp), Amazon and Abe Books . They are only services that tie in to used bookstores around the world. Since I'm a reader and not a collector, good and acceptable levels have been fine with me. I haven't been disappointed in the quality. Only one, a $5 book, was a bit musty smelling. I think the price reflected that. Make sure you check shipping cost. I'm in Canada,from the States I have seen costly to prohibitive shipping charges. The ones from England come air mail quickly and the British mailing costs are good deal less.

It's all too easy.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 41rem
Ha!

Love to read it, how do I find it?

PM sent.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just finished "Western Skies" tonight. Superb read. I expected to be jealous of things I never experienced. The writing managed to evoke some deep memories of what I did. Grateful for that...

And I always read, these days, at my desk with the computer on, and the browser pulled up. There's also a lighted globe on a stand next to the desk. Things I've maybe heard of in passing get a deeper look while I'm reading

Lek reproduction
Pointillism
Cordillera

Seeing A.J. McClane's name brought a haunting perspective of the passing of years...

This is not a book to be read and shelved
It'll be handled a lot

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
John,

Glad you enjoyed it!

Thanks,
John

John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm about halfway thru my copy, really enjoying it so far. Mule deer can really turn a phrase. Some of them make me stop, go back, reread & ponder.

John have you ever written a novel of pure fiction that was hunting/fishing related?

We deal in lead, friend.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope! I published a few short stories decades ago, among many articles on subjects other than guns and hunting, but in general realized that apparently I was better at non-fiction, probably because it was easier for me to to think up subjects and ideas.

There have also been several shifts in the business over those years. When I first started publishing, fishing articles paid just about as well as hunting articles. But by the mid-1990s payment for fishing articles had stagnated, which is when I decided to quit writing them.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Nope! I published a few short stories decades ago, among many articles on subjects other than guns and hunting, but in general realized that apparently I was better at non-fiction, probably because it was easier for me to to think up subjects and ideas.

There have also been several shifts in the business over those years. When I first started publishing, fishing articles paid just about as well as hunting articles. But by the mid-1990s payment for fishing articles had stagnated, which is when I decided to quit writing them.

M
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I assume by that, you also quit fishing entirely, huh John?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope! In fact during the years I was traveling a LOT to hunt in various places, both in the U.S. and other countries, often put a take-down fly rod in my rifle case so I could take advantage of any opportunities. Or sometimes a hunting outfitter had tackle on hand. Got to fish all over North America and also places such as Argentina, Norway and Tanzania.

John Steinbeck

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1Longbow, 160user, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 22magnut, 53 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,185
Posts18,484,840
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.