Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We live in the sticks, so fortunately this is not an everyday occurrence. Occasional trips to Metropolis, however, find us treated like second class citizens if we don't toe the line. I do own a cell phone but am not one that keeps it perpetually glued to his left hand. Actually, it's turned off 99.9% of the time and lives atop the microwave.

Dinning out now, even in some fine establishments, appears to be forcing one into the "app" world, and I'm resisting. Three issues: 1. Specialized orders like rare, medium, well-done, with/without some condiment. 2. Serving up one's personal data, home address, and financial institutions (i.e. credit/debit cards #'s, phone #'s, and e-mail accounts). I damned sure don't want daily e-mails from Benihana, Burger King, Big Boy, or anyone else on the specialty or deal of the hour, and 3. the requirement to pack around a $100/month implement just to interact in this world. Are we expected to die if our battery crashes?

I recently hit up a Dominos in Boise, and the clerk/cashier (an English-speaking white, Angelo Saxon Protestant believe it not) essentially replied with nothing but a blank stare when I asked for a Medium Deluxe from their menu while handing over the proper dollars and cents. Damned near like I had leprosy or something. A manager had to come over to save the day. I realize with rising wages etc, businesses are attempting to streamline and eliminate positions, but don't see it fitting in with service industries.

Anyone else resisting?

Last edited by 1minute; 02/11/24.

1Minute

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope

Much more convenient using apps, and fewer people I have to deal with.

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Never understood the concept

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
A good workaround is to pay with your card instead of bags of change and a coupon.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't like none of it either, same as self-checkout, or businesses asking for my phone number at the register.

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Half the country would be fuqkd if cell towers went down a few weeks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by earlybrd
You got that right they would be in panic mode.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I eat out 6 meals a week and prefer the app approach.

I also prefer to pick up my stuff and eat at my hotel.

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I am sure you old farts could get your cottage cheese and peaches plate anywhere just by asking the nice lady with the nose ring.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I rarely pay cash anymore, use my cards. I hate apps and email requests to do a survey on my service experience. I only do them if I have negative input.
I assist my elderly uncle and he has been the victim of online scams twice in the past year and a half. He is too trusting. I have taken over all his finances and eliminated online banking. Had to sit up all new accounts for him and redirect direct deposits etc. Had Verizon on the phone the other day to clear up some issues. Actually had a live person on the line and everything I asked she said you can do that on our website or with our app. I said I’m talking to you, a customer service rep, why can’t you just do it for me. She eventually did but couldn’t comprehend why I wasn’t willing to sign my uncle up online or download the app to confuse him further. Believe it or not SSA was the easiest to deal with, but we went to the office in person after a phone call suggested it and provided me with information on what to bring.

IC B3

1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
earlybrd:

Ain't that the truth. Locally, our banks, grocery/hardware stores, and all but one of our service stations are out of business if the power goes off. Hit the grid, and our nation, eventually including transportation, will be paralyzed.

54Woody:

I've recently gotten as much as a 20% discount at motels via cash. Good for me and less in taxes and fees for them. I rather like it.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/11/24.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Riverc
You got that right they would be in panic mode.

Yep. The suicide rate would SKYROCKET! 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

GOA
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Mutha fuukas would go full blown panic mode if there purina dog chow couldn’t be amazoned to there front porch

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If an app is required to order food I am eating somewhere else period. And I pay with money. I don't carry a cell phone around all the time. I am not installing a program on my phone to do business with someone.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Mutha fuukas would go full blown panic mode if there purina dog chow couldn’t be amazoned to there front porch

I guarantee you that 90 percent of the old tough guys here don't have a 50 pound sack of rice, flour or sugar in their house.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I do not have a smart phone. I have a dumb flip phone and use it for phone calls. People have to have that smart phone in their hands at all times. Even while eating and punching on it for some reason. Like a couple we went out with, they was texting each other rather than talking and were right across from each other. I just DO NOT understand the love for the smart phone.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
We live in the sticks, so fortunately this is not an everyday occurrence. Occasional trips to Metropolis, however, find us treated like second class citizens if we don't toe the line. I do own a cell phone but am not one that keeps it perpetually glued to his left hand. Actually, it's turned off 99.9% of the time and lives atop the microwave.

Dinning out now, even in some fine establishments, appears to be forcing one into the "app" world, and I'm resisting. Three issues: 1. Specialized orders like rare, medium, well-done, with/without some condiment. 2. Serving up one's personal data, home address, and financial institutions (i.e. credit/debit cards #'s, phone #'s, and e-mail accounts). I damned sure don't want daily e-mails from Benihana, Burger King, Big Boy, or anyone else on the specialty or deal of the hour, and 3. the requirement to pack around a $100/month implement just to interact in this world. Are we expected to die if our battery crashes?

I recently hit up a Dominos in Boise, and the clerk/cashier (an English-speaking white, Angelo Saxon Protestant believe it not) essentially replied with nothing but a blank stare when I asked for a Medium Deluxe from their menu while handing over the proper dollars and cents. Damned near like I had leprosy or something. A manager had to come over to save the day. I realize with rising wages etc, businesses are attempting to streamline and eliminate positions, but don't see it fitting in with service industries.

Anyone else resisting?

Most of the idiots at McD’s and BK couldn’t take your order without a picture of the Big Mack or Whopper on their cash register. Much less make change. 🤪

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by sidewinder72
I do not have a smart phone. I have a dumb flip phone and use it for phone calls. People have to have that smart phone in their hands at all times. Even while eating and punching on it for some reason. Like a couple we went out with, they was texting each other rather than talking and were right across from each other. I just DO NOT understand the love for the smart phone.

I have seen that.

It's wild.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by 1minute

Anyone else resisting?

Most of the idiots at McD’s and BK couldn’t take your order without a picture of the Big Mack or Whopper on their cash register. Much less make change. 🤪

Thats why I prefer McDs, they have the kiosk that I can put in my order, make sure its what I want

DON’T BE TOO PROUD OF THIS TECHNOLOGICAL TERROR YOU’VE CONSTRUCTED. THE ABILITY TO DESTROY A PLANET IS INSIGNIFICANT NEXT TO THE POWER OF THE FORCE.

- Darth Vader
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.