Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't think it could easily be the upper parts but you never know.

Good to know the smith didn't see anything like a missing piece of barrel.

I am not sure after that. With less than say 3000 rounds in ax x39 barrel it should not be shot out.

I would hope that if the smith took it apart and put it back together he would have noticed anything loose or not right so to speak.

Fire lapping bullets would be my next move asap.

Once more though... carbon only comes out with abrasive. Not with foaming bubbles or whatever. Its sweat equity that got it out the times we had to deal with it. Once its set and hardened I just had no luck with simple chemicals. Even GM top engine cleaner.

I suppose you could swap bolts, but I also suppose not everyone has a couple of bolts of the same size laying around. I smile every time I find another. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by rost495
Umm ,I hate to BUT...lets think. 6.5 grendel. Bullet diameter? Maybe 6.5 mm. 7.62x39 bullet diameter? Maybe 7.62 mm...
x 39 is parent case to PPC rounds which the Grendel is. its a 6.5 ppc renamed. Like having for whatever reason, to rename the 300/221 to the blackout...

Not the same rounds FWWI.

I too suspect something is loose. It sets itself on the first shot for a few rounds... and then you do things that make it go back to loose for the first shot. Its not all that uncommon for barrel nuts to not get tightened. Have seen it from top end builders even.
Sorry, I edited my OP

I was asking if the Grendel and the x39 use the same bolt.
Yes, same bolt.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Think I’ll swap out the BCG with my Grendel and take it out for a test drive tomorrow

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Think I’ll swap out the BCG with my Grendel and take it out for a test drive tomorrow
Seems I'm out of date a bit. There are 2 types of 6.5 bolts. One is the same as the x39. The other is not. One is deeper faced and would be fairly different headspace.

Nothing like some idiot to mess up something that should be so simple. I suspect I know exactly who came up with this and why but thats another story totally.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took a new ar out that did very similar. Picatinny rail seemed undersized when I was mounting scope with rings. Torqued everything and all felt good. At the range it would put two right next to each other and then fliers, 3"-6" WTH!
After checking all I could think of I decided to change out scope rings for a cantilever mount. Next time out groups were consistent 1.5 ish with no fliers.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dons99
I took a new ar out that did very similar. Picatinny rail seemed undersized when I was mounting scope with rings. Torqued everything and all felt good. At the range it would put two right next to each other and then fliers, 3"-6" WTH!
After checking all I could think of I decided to change out scope rings for a cantilever mount. Next time out groups were consistent 1.5 ish with no fliers.
Thanks,

I thought that might be the cause as well.

I have tried 3 different scopes with 3 different mounts, no change.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I am not sure after that. With less than say 3000 rounds in ax x39 barrel it should not be shot out.

I would hope that if the smith took it apart and put it back together he would have noticed anything loose or not right so to speak.

Once more though... carbon only comes out with abrasive. Not with foaming bubbles or whatever. Its sweat equity that got it out the times we had to deal with it. Once its set and hardened I just had no luck with simple chemicals. Even GM top engine cleaner.

I suppose you could swap bolts, but I also suppose not everyone has a couple of bolts of the same size laying around. I smile every time I find another. LOL.

I have done the Tubbs lapping bullets before with good success, but those rifle never shot well right from the get go.

This one shot very well and suddenly went to schit.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

I have done the Tubbs lapping bullets before with good success, but those rifle never shot well right from the get go.

This one shot very well and suddenly went to schit.

It can't hurt. Especially since you don't know for sure that its not the barrel. It could take some life away by a bit. But if it won't shoot as is....

More work but interesting thought. Pull the barrel. Put it on another receiver and another bolt carrier and see. If its still bad, they its something with the barrel and back to lapping.

I've never bore scoped. Never wanted to see how bad things can look. Can you miss seeing carbon deposits? I'm back to that. They can be a PITA to get rid of without lots of elbow grease. They won't come with cleaners. They come out with scrubbing. They are a PITA to accuracy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I ordered a new upper from BCA and also a new 20” 1-9.5 barrel from KAK.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if you want to sell that old barrel I might like to play with it next winter when I get to Texas for the winter. Just to see if I can figure it out. Obviously no rush.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, you keep mentioning removing carbon,

What did you find to work the best to do that?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Jeff, you keep mentioning removing carbon,

What did you find to work the best to do that?
JB bore paste but usually used diamond lap paste first. I don't recall the micron on the diamond at the moment. 6 may be one of the numbers. I am not sure I can put hands on that diamond paste at the moment to verify numbers but one was a bit aggressive followed by the finer and then by JB bore paste. Flitz can work I've heard.

The main thing we learned was swab the bore with solvent when its hot at a match. Drive home a couple hours and carbon can Harden and then it becomes horrible. Solvent never got it all out at that point.

Interesting enough we stuck with the same barrel brand mostly and it was only a barrel now and then that would develop carbon issues but those issues could drive you nuts until you realized oops. Carbon ring. We did go down to Pac Nor quality but that was about as low as we went.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
if you want to sell that old barrel I might like to play with it next winter when I get to Texas for the winter. Just to see if I can figure it out. Obviously no rush.
If this new barrel fixes the problem, you can have the old barrel, all I ask is you pay shipping.

I’ll keep you posted on how things turn out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a deal for sure I can handle. I like to play with problem issues an the AR IF I can make time. Plus somewhere I still have a test bed upper with a wide smooth wood fore end floated. It was used to toss a new barrel on and fire some at 600 to verify it looked worth putting it on a service rifle upper. Especially the 1000 yard 223 uppers.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I took the New BCA upper to the range today, 100 yards.

After sighting it in this is the first 5 with 123ge Varmageddon, 29.0gr CFE BLK

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This is 5 more for a total of 10. The flier at 1 O'clock was me.

This is 123gr Hornady FMJ with 27gr 1680.

I'm OK with this.

The new barrel should be ready to test by the end of the week, maybe.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 22magnut, 10ring1, 38 invisible), 1,335 guests, and 1,045 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,849
Posts18,517,549
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.