Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No problem firing with combination 7X57R over 12 GA barrel set. Removed that, installed 20 ga O/U set, and went to the range.

Loaded two rounds of Rem target loads. Fired front trigger and opened to check which barrel had fired. Action would only open part way. Top barrel had fired.

Didn’t want to bring gun home with live round, so closed action and fired rear barrel as well.

Tried everything but still not opening. Tried half dozen times to remove the barrel set, and it will not come out.

Removed the buttstock, and gave whatever I could get to a dose of WD40. I know better, but that’s all I have here at the moment. Letting it all rest until tomorrow.

Okay, Gentlemen, what are your thoughts on this? Broken firing pin? If so, how do I get to it on this BRNO.

Thanks for your help,
Ted

GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Where is this gun made at ?? Are you shooting 2 3/4 shells? If it only opened 1/2 way, maybe something to do with the cocking mechanism. If you shake the gun, can you hear something loose sounding?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Did it start to extract the first fired round when you cracked it open? Might be a tight case/shell? If it is a tight shell then cleaning rod ram rod might assist.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shooting factory 2 3/4 inch loads.

No sign that the shell is extracting when partly open.

Here’s a link to the operation of the gun. Not my video.

Ted

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Okay, mauserand9m, you had the correct answer.

A little persuasion in both tubes using a solid brass rod saw the action opening a bit each time until almost there, and then locked up again. The employment of a light finish carpenter’s hammer completed the job.

Here’s the evidence!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Obviously, the shells were stuck in the chambers.

Thanks to both you and Alan_C. Please carry on with the diagnosis…..

Ted

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Shoot some low base loads and study

Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
For sure!

Posted that I had shot target loads, but they were full house. Was thinking about the 12 gauge under the 7X57R barrel set that I use for grouse and ptarmigan when hunting moose and caribou. That I use #7 1/2 in the I/C barrel.

Must be a rusty or scratched chamber to hold fired rounds that tight. Big cleaning and polishing, right?

Ted

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Today’s economy shot shells are notorious for hard extraction because of the use of plated steel in place of brass for the base. It will help to polish the chambers but switching to premium shells such as AA’s will make things much better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can't think of any European company that loads that heavy of a 20ga load and from my experience it really isn't needed. An ounce of lead shot is plenty it is my go-to for in 12, 16.and.20ga for birds. High steel 2 3/4 cases even get stuck in my reloader.

I think your problem is heavier loads and high steel hulls.

I shoot a BRNO 305 12/5.6x52R with a set of 12/12 skeet barrels.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Yukoner Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No doubt you are correct. I'm not worried about the action being strong enough, as it is designed to handle center fire rifle cartridges that operate at four times the pressure of shotgun ammo, but never considered steel bases being a problem.

Will try some brass base slug and some low base target loads.

Thanks!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The action is strong enough but the extraction is the problem even rifle shells for it are tapered much more than a shotshell.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Okay, mauserand9m, you had the correct answer.

A little persuasion in both tubes using a solid brass rod saw the action opening a bit each time until almost there, and then locked up again. The employment of a light finish carpenter’s hammer completed the job.

Here’s the evidence!

Obviously, the shells were stuck in the chambers.

Thanks to both you and Alan_C. Please carry on with the diagnosis…..

Ted

No worries, here to help. Glad to see that was the problem and not something more complicated with the internals.

As an aside, I've seen a Merkel double lock up due to extrusion of the primer into the firing pin hole as a result of combination of sloppy firing pin hole and hot loads. The rifle was in 7x65R and the loads were hot to get the velocity to regulate properly. Forcing it open (it wouldn't open at all under normal effort) sheared the primer extrusion off and got it open. That Merkel went back for proper attention but I don't know how it ended up - the gunsmith was consulting with the factory. Using hot loads is not a good strategy. It's a pity, the Merkels normally regulate well at normal type loads.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,535 guests, and 1,389 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,686
Posts18,475,107
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.