Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I saw a bald drop like a bolt from the sky and killed a fox right in front of me once—another time I saw one fly up under a goose roll over and plucked it right outta the sky. Around the 15 of March they will return locally and it’s not unusual to see 15 on my wolf bait on the ice in the front yard.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gitem_12
they should be giving out tags for the damned things
They should be classifed as varmints with no closed season right along with hawks and owls.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Found an injured one a couple miles back in the deer woods one day last year. Called up Fish & Game about it, and they referred me to a Falcon Rehab Center. They asked if I could carry it back to the road for them, I respectfully declined.

I dropped them the coordinates. I noticed it was gone on my way back out of the woods. Not sure if they got to it before something else did. I should have followed up on it.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I can see why you go by Blackheart.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
They should be classifed as varmints with no closed season right along with hawks and owls.
For sure. The damned things kill constantly

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by JamesJr
A pair of bald eagles decided to take up residence on a large pond that was owned by an Amish farmer. It was on my mail route, and I'd see them every day when I went by. They apparently caught some of the farmers chickens, and he contacted the game warden about it. The GW told him that if he so much as harmed a feather on an eagle, that he'd see to it that it cost him his farm. I was talking to the Amish guy one day about it, and I asked him if he'd ever heard of SSS. He said he hadn't, and I told him he needed to.

Heard a Amish farmer once say they don't taste like chicken

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
There are some, but not many here in Montana.

If the population was high I would apply for a tag myself.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunchamp
They've pretty well cleaned muskrats right out of the river here. Flyin' coyotes is what they amount to. Feathered vermin. There weren't any around when I was a kid and I wouldn't miss them if they were gone again.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Seen one out in the field chowing down on something turned out to be the farmers beagle

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by steveredd1

Seen one out in the field chowing down on something turned out to be the farmers beagle
I worry about my little dogs here. Was out in the yard just the other day when one flew over real low. Watched it go by and noticed there were 3 more circling over the neighbors field down the road. There are a lot of them along the rivers and reservoirs here.

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
30 plus years ago, a neighbor and friend of mine got into enough trouble that the fbi made a visit.
He was out in the machine shed with the big door open when the fed pulled up. They had a visit about issues at hand and when the suit went to leave he said, “by the way, get rid of that thing”. It was a hawk mounted spread eagle on top of the drill press.
That could have been a big deal, but wasn’t on the feds agenda at the time.
He also told me the feds may come around asking questions, I made sure I was home as little as possible.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
See many Eagles around my area.....Golden's are more common

Balds spend winters but head north in summer months

Pic..from my pic files yrs ago...shooting p/dogs in a favorite location

Just felt like I was being watched......Hmmm

Turned around & this guy was on a post minding his own business

Snapped two pics & he flew out where all the dead p/dogs were and had lunch

He was one of four Golden's that knew the sound/sight of my '98 Tacoma

Eagles or wolves ? I'll take Eagles any day

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Pic

My Bald Eagle cloud------- smirk

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Another sad case of the government passing laws with no sunset clause - wild horses, marine mammals, etc. They never include a means to stop protecting them when they've reached recovery levels. Numbers keep building up forever.
Exactly what they're doing with the Lobos (Mexican Gray Wolves) down here right now.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Bald eagle found dead after neighbor reports gunshot, Missouri officials say
So people there call in every time they hear a gunshot? If that was here, the cops would be so busy checking out gunshots that they'd never get any real work done.

I would not be surprised if the “Missouri officials” are just fishing for info and flat out lying about the gunshot.

I once lived in Salem for a number of years….. half the folks in Salem and most all folks in the country outside Salem just want to be left alone. Most all of those folks know how to keep their mouths shut.

They are not unlike folks in Skidmore.

I once shot a snapping turtle that was killing catfish in my pond….that evening a couple of suspicious and unhappy neighbors knocked on my door….. seems one of their coon dogs went missing…. They pointedly asked if I had shot their dog. I was new in that area…in the county. And was finding out the newcomers were not highly regarded.

Took a few years, but finally got on ok with those folks. Helped that I let the neighbor kids fish in the pond. They gave me a “good report.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Online Content
Campfire Greenhorn
J
When most people around here still had land lines, my parent's number was only one number different than the one of the main MDC wildlife damage biologists and they would occasionally get calls from people that were trying to reach him. One day they came home and found a message on the answering machine from a farmer who thought he was calling the MDC agent.

The farmer had left a long and colorful message regarding the eagles that were killing his lambs. He made it very clear what he was intending to do in order to remedy the problem.

Dad sympathized with the farmer and didn't want him to get in trouble, so he called him back to let him know that he had left the message at the wrong number and that he probably shouldn't be telling everyone what he planned on doing with the eagles. After venting to Dad about the issue, he finally calmed down and explained that he was tired of losing so many lambs and MDC not doing anything to help him out. I don't know what ever happened with the issue, but it was taking place not too far from the incident in the original post.

I've heard that MDC or the feds one will no pay farmers for stock killed by the eagles, but I don't know if that's true in all cases or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yet windfarms can slice and dice them endlessly.

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dang, what's a Cooper's Hawk cost?

Quando omni flunkus moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prison over killing a destructive bird, but kill all the babies you want and you get "celebrated".

MDC is not to be trusted. It is an evil organization that exists merely to collect revenue, not improve habitat or to manage wildlife population.

"Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
We have quite a lot of eagles here. They seem to be primarily scavengers and fish eaters. Ravens torment them endlessly. I have seen eagles try to catch a raven, just out of spite, but have not seen one connect.
We are overrun with turkeys. I always thought they would be hard on the turkeys, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Likewise, the geese don't seem to be much affected. I have seen one pluck a duck out of the flock. I have seen them take fish from the ospreys. The osprey learn to keep a low profile after catching a fish. GD

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 10gaugemag, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,680
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.