Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Go 6 creed. I have multiples in 243 and 6 creedmoor.

The 6 creedmoor will fit your mag box with high BC bullets much more easily. Factory ammo here in the US is easy to find for it as well. As others said I'd think about a 7.5 or 7 twist. Mine are 8" and work fine with every 105-108 grain bullet I've tried but as it was mentioned, bullets keep getting longer

Last edited by Dude270; 02/12/24.
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I have heard that the Creeds barrles last longer.. Any truth to that? Also, when I do burn out my .243 WIn. barrel, can I get the barrel reamed into a 6mm Creed??

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
I
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
I
6 Creed with 1:7.5 twist. Shoot the 105 VLDs if you reload, or the 103 ELD-Xs if you don't.

Very, very easy button. Only this most recent hunting season for data, but it shoots like a house of fire with the 105 VLDs and accounted for two bucks and a bull with zero drama this season.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
I have heard that the Creeds barrles last longer.. Any truth to that? Also, when I do burn out my .243 WIn. barrel, can I get the barrel reamed into a 6mm Creed??
Barrel life between them is more dependent on how you shoot them than the difference between the chamberings. Both are usually cooked somewhere between 1500-2500 rounds, depending on how they are shot and loaded for.

If you have enough shank, you could set back the barrel and re-chamber in 6 CM, but you're better off to just get a new barrel and chamber that in 6 CM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm going to building a rifle for my daughter. to use. She turns 12 this year and feels ready to pull the trigger on a deer this fall. We will be hunting in farm fields where shots can be longer. She shoots quite well and finds .243 recoil reasonable (we borrowed a neighbours rifle for her to try). She finds the recoil of my 6.5x284 bothersome and says that she wouldn't like practicing with it. So it looks like she will be shooting a 6mm rifle of some sort.

I recently bought a trued Remington 700 short action from a friend and I'm looking at getting a Krieger #2 contour 6mm barrel. Ideally I would like the performance of the 6mm Creedmoor and the easy ammo availability of the .243. I handload but someday I will likely give her the rifle and she may or may not be a handloader and we might not live close to each other for me to load for her. So while I would build a 6mm Creedmoor for me, I feel like I should build a .243 for her use and have it throated like a 6mm Creedmoor. Does this make sense or am I overlooking anything?
The easy button is 6 CM in a 7" twist barrel. KS Arms will build you the barrel you're looking for.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R
Both of my Grand Daughters are shooting 6 CM we converted from .243, it would be hard to talk them out of their rifles they have killed everything they have pointed them at with 108 gr. ELD-M

My favorite Cooper .243 A.I. I call Bloody Mary, finally gave up with over 5000 Rnds down the tube I have found my .243s shoot a lot longer if I don't hot rod them with light bullets and max loads, Bloody Mary is at the Gun Smiths Now being barreled to a 7 Twist 6 CM Kreiger I'm looking forward to getting her back. my other 6 CM is a Christen Arms it shoots lights out but is a little long and heavy for a Jeep gun. Rio 7

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Creed and a 1-7” barrel.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6CM gives you more room in the mag box. Mine is actually 1:8" but the rifle got stamped otherwise.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Owned a bunch of 243s. The 243 in a custom rifle build is very hard to beat. The 1-8 twist is a do all twist

Just got in an old Rem 700 Ultimate Varmint 26" that I need to finish testing out, before I tear it down and rebarrel it. If and when, it will go back on the trued and squared action as a 243 with a 1-8 twist SS barrel with threads cut .010 over in the truing process. I have all kinds of cats, just want to make this a 243 with a factory chamber.

The 243 with a good action and barrel gives up nothing to a CM and the 243 is a lot more available as a factory cartridge around these parts. I would not make a gift, that even might be a problem.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
How will she be using the gun you are building as she goes forward.....say as she becomes an adult and gets into game at long range. That is where the CM shines over the 243. I was also thinking of a 6.5 CM barrel replacement for my Model 70 in 243, but my shots are 300 yards Max and the 243 gets that done for me. Low recoil like the creed, I reload my so no problem with ammo, and very accurate with what I load for. If I was shooting further and larger game I would want the creed, but that 243 has a lot going for it and I think you need to answer these questions for her future use.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rapier
Owned a bunch of 243s. The 243 in a custom rifle build is very hard to beat. The 1-8 twist is a do all twist

Just got in an old Rem 700 Ultimate Varmint 26" that I need to finish testing out, before I tear it down and rebarrel it. If and when, it will go back on the trued and squared action as a 243 with a 1-8 twist SS barrel with threads cut .010 over in the truing process. I have all kinds of cats, just want to make this a 243 with a factory chamber.

The 243 with a good action and barrel gives up nothing to a CM and the 243 is a lot more available as a factory cartridge around these parts. I would not make a gift, that even might be a problem.

He's got a shorty action.
With a 1:8 or 7.5 twist, he won't be able to get those bullets in the mag and will have a custom single shot. Least I couldn't with the 105s and 8s. If he had the long action, I'd run a 243 win and an 8 would work nice. I like the 105 berger on too of imr4350. Sucker is like a big little gun.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I mean, he'd get them in there, but will be jumping quite a bit and lose boiler room capability.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rapier

Never heard of an Ultimate Varmint 700.

What are the particulars?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Cartridge over-all length is determined by one of two factors: the length of the magazine, or the length of the throat. So, if you are handloading and have a custom chamber, with the same mag length, COAL for both cartridges is the same.
I would go with the 6CM just because I think it is a little better cartridge design. The sloping shoulder and short neck of the 243 are not a great combination. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you want to get technical, a 243 win with a 30 degree shoulder and a 1.75 twist barrel would be pretty dang sweet. It's a custom build, and anytime I build something it's because A. Remington ain't chambering it, or B. Because I want a custom cartridge or wildcat with a custom chamber/throat.
Since the OP has a short action 700, it'd be hard to beat a 6 creed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
6xc or 6-250 to be different. Had to say it. Sorry lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fascinatingly HILARIOUS,that Day Dreaming Droolers always turn these things into a Bad Idea Tournament and GoogleFu straws to grasp. Hint.

COAL length is factored by projectile selection. COAL is NOT static and moves around more than a whole fhuqking bunch,due same,with IDENTICAL mag confines and throat geometry. Due the distinct differences in case length,between the 243 Win and Seex Kreed,COAL is going to be exceedingly different at IDENTICAL throat lengths,with IDENTICAL projectiles. The Kreed is a vastly superior mechanical design,of like powder capacity. Win/win/win. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

While I've a goodly herd of exceptional 243 Win's/243 AI's,I couldn't begin to factor a reason to suffer same Today,with the Seex Kreed in the picture. A "long action" isn't going to "MAGICALLY" transform a 243 Win,into something it is not,with "MAGIC" throat geometry. Going 6-06 changes the game and I've a few. Hint.

Google Gals say STUPID fhuqking schit like this. Hint.

She's going to go L/A,then reduce RPM,which funnier than fhuqk?!? IMR4350 being a Goat Fhuqk to boot and the only fhuqking thing she "shoots",is her mouth. Then she Drools shoulder angles. Nor could she pick the XC out of the crowd. Pardon the reality of wares that exist and actually shooting same. Hint.

I've multiple 700 based Customs in Seex Kreed and reserve RPM is your friend. Betwixt CUSTOM and OEM spouts,I drive it in 7,7.25,7.5 and 8" RPM. Throats lengths vary and it is VERY easy to connect all dots in a 700,ala AICS binderless DBM at 2.975" COAL latitude. Up to and including 112's and their .620 BC. Hint.

James' spouts are fhuqking exceptional. Hint.

Now coming full circle,was shooting with The 'Horn yesterday and he had a brace of Seek Kreed's in tow,a Sig Cross rebarreled and OEM Accuracy International AT-X. I drug my rebarreled Accuracy International AT-X K&P 7" RPM 21" Dasher and did exceptionally well to the 1350yd line,which is as far as we happened to shoot. 112's at 2820fps,is a nice place to be,with it's minute ES/SD doing LR vertical favors. Trip cost me a Garmin chronograph and I've grown to hate chronographs. 60 MOA inclination left me about (3) Mil's off mechanical bottom of erector and it's a nice place to be. Hint.(grin)

Pardon the luxuries,of being afforded not having to fhuqking guess. Hint.

Just sayin'................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice remage barrel. Looks like a dick on a fish. Did you hack saw that one off too and give it your custom crown job?
As far as imr 4350 and 105s, 41.5 grains of that noise has taken more coyotes for me than you've taken pisses in life. Seat that bich out and fill it up.

Remage barrel......lmao

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
And if you need to swap a trigger, a hatchet makes a great tool for that....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

The ONLY things you can talk about in the first hand,are your Homo Erotic Fantasies...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I tend to chop/shoot on the fly and KNOW what's going on. Hint.

Your Day Dreaming Delusions are funnier than fhuqk! Keep "living" vicariously,as it's your ONLY move and don't "forget" that Imitation is THE most Sincere form of Flattery. Hint.

Fortunately for you,Imagination and Pretend are free,so even YOU can "afford" to "contribute". Pardon wares that exist,as you Pretend aloud via GoogleFu. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 16penny, 54 invisible), 2,381 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,530
Posts18,472,693
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.