Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
The other thread about H414 being the EXACT SAME THING as Winchester 760 being the EXACT SAME THING as Accurate 2700 got me thinking about what other powders are the EXACT SAME THING. So here's what I know so far ....

H414 = Winchester 760 = Accurate 2700
Norma 203B = Reloder 15
Norma MRP = Reloder 22

What other powder is out there that is the EXACT SAME THING as some other powder. I'm not talking about similar burn rates or good substitutes, I'm talking about the exact same powders being produced in the same factory but are just packaged differently and sold under another brand.

PS: Football season is over ..... get over it ...... on soooooo many levels.

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’ll kick this Hornets nest

RL22 and Norma MRP grin

Semper Fi
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Winchester 296 is the same as H-110

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
HP38 & WW231

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
not including Lovex . nitrochem or norma

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You have about 55,000 PSI going off three inches in front of your nose. I would not ASSUME anyone "knows" one powder is exactly the same as another...but work up a load with each as you would another.

But it`s your nose.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Just wondering about the origin of the chart above?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by CGPAUL
You have about 55,000 PSI going off three inches in front of your nose. I would not ASSUME anyone "knows" one powder is exactly the same as another...but work up a load with each as you would another.

But it`s your nose.

^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O

But it`s your nose.

Of course you work up a load. No where am I implying that you use the same exact charge from one brand that you might use from the other brand of the same powder. Just like how you work up a load when you change powder lots. But there ARE powders manufactured in the same factory but packaged under different brand names.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Glad to hear that. In my time shooting Hi Power, while on the shooting line, I had two rifles let go, one two points down from me. Exciting has all the foreend parts landed near us. The grapevine later explained the shooter had loaded what was supposed to be a powder exactly the same as he had been using. Hearsay I know, but I don`t take anything for granted.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

But it`s your nose.

Never fired a shot without this consideration….every time.

It’s a bit disconcerting.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have used W-760 data a number of time with H-414 powder. I always start low though and work up wit one round going from several grails under to max W-760 data. I've heard the same about them being the same but I do pressure test before getting crazy! Has always worked for me. Didn't know AA-2700 was also the same but I'd still pressure test it first.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by DonFischer
I have used W-760 data a number of time with H-414 powder. I always start low though and work up wit one round going from several grails under to max W-760 data. I've heard the same about them being the same but I do pressure test before getting crazy! Has always worked for me. Didn't know AA-2700 was also the same but I'd still pressure test it first.

It's been a while now since Hodgdon started publishing exactly the same loads for H414 and W760 in their on-line data. In fact, before they revised the site in the past year they still list identical loads for both powders, but with the new data program you have to call them up separately. I just did that with 165-grain bullets in the .308 Winchester and yep, they're exactly the same in maximum load, pressure and velocity.

Might also mention, as I have few times before here, but it's no longer Accurate Arms (AA) powder, and hasn't been since Ramshot purchased AA around 20 years ago--when Ramshot changed the name to plain Accurate Powders. And instead of selling the SAME powders as Accurate Arms (which were often surplus powders, and made in various places) they started having them made in the same powder factory in Florida that already made H414 and W760--which is why A2700 is indeed the same powder, and has been for quite a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Rich J, My powder is a long ways from new production, but it's new enough to be in current style of containers..and I just don't see H4895 and IMR 4895 being on the same line. In a .308, with a 150 grain flatbase, I get just about same result grain for grain that puts H4895 very close to IMR 3031...and IMR 4895 requires at least 2 more grains to reach same velocity. But, as I said, I'm not sure how old my powders are or what date your chart is.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Glad to hear that. In my time shooting Hi Power, while on the shooting line, I had two rifles let go, one two points down from me. Exciting has all the foreend parts landed near us. The grapevine later explained the shooter had loaded what was supposed to be a powder exactly the same as he had been using. Hearsay I know, but I don`t take anything for granted.

Oh I hear ya'. I've been hand-loading rifle cartridges since 1982.

Retired engineer now, and spend more time hand-loading. I find the application of statistical methods such as confidence intervals, ANOVA (Analysis Of Variance), statistical hypothesis testing has helped me get more consistent results in my load development. Moreover, some of these more elegant approaches to load development has helped me abandon loads that were not repeatable/reliable.

I forget sometimes many here have never taken off their training wheels.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few year ago I had a new 8# jug of H-414, a new 8# W-760

I mixed them together well to have one lot and put masking tape on both jugs renaming them WH-1174

😂

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
A few year ago I had a new 8# jug of H-414, a new 8# W-760

I mixed them together well to have one lot and put masking tape on both jugs renaming them WH-1174

😂

Would've thought you'd call it WH-587.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That'll work!

Which is kinda what major powder companies do after producing a new lot. They save some of the previous lots that were faster or slower-burning than the ideal they were, uh, "aiming" for. They test the new batch, then if it's not within 2-3% of the burn-rate desired, they mix in some of the older batches to adjust the burn-rate.

This obviously is easier to do when the powder's been in production for a while, so there are more previous batches. When Hodgdon started offering the IMR Endurons a while ago (primarily due to a shortage in the supply of the Australian-made Extremes), they sent me some 1-2 pound samples of various powders to try. One of them was IMR4451, which was designed to approximate H4350. I was impressed enough to order an 8-pounder from a website, but it resulted in around an 80 fps difference in the same loads. So I mixed the first batch into the 8-pounder, and it resulted in velocities closer to their published data.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Old__School
Oh I hear ya'. I've been hand-loading rifle cartridges since 1982…
Retired engineer now…
I forget sometimes many here have never taken off their training wheels.
Ain’t you somethin’….

"Keep your mouth shut, work hard. Life is tough. Work through it.” -- Stetson Bennett, Quarterback, Georgia Bulldogs
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
1982! Wow!

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (160user, 007FJ, 12savage, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1936M71, 69 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,909
Posts18,479,473
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.