Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just picked up another Hawkeye all weather in 300 win mag, I can't pass these things up when I see them come available. Any idea if they are on Ruger's timeline to produce again? They are about the ultimate AK big game rifle, seems like they should appreciate over time. I guess I'll just keep buying them and see what happens. Need a bigger safe.

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by NMiller
I just picked up another Hawkeye all weather in 300 win mag, I can't pass these things up when I see them come available. Any idea if they are on Ruger's timeline to produce again? They are about the ultimate AK big game rifle, seems like they should appreciate over time. I guess I'll just keep buying them and see what happens. Need a bigger safe.

Great rifles, and a good investment, if you can buy them right.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

So much fluff out there. I remember back 5-6 years ago when Christiansen arms came out. You'd think the earth stopped rotating. This fkn trendy garbage was all over the gun counters. Don't see them any more.

BUT, for Alaskans that weren't born yesterday, rugers dominated the 90's up here. Here it is 30 years later, and a ruger 77 won't stay on our classifieds for no more than a fkn winter Alaskan day. They sell immediately.

Prices are always about $900 +/-. Which is about a "weeks worth of pay". Bill Ruger's original intent.........

NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got this one for less than that, so couldn't afford to leave it there. Wish I would have bought a truckload of them when I got my first one. Boat paddle 300 win mag $379 at Sentry Hardware.

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Seen 2 today browsing $1200 🤯

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 3 of them in a "Hunt the lower 48" series. Bought 2 of them via the classified ads forum on this site and 1 from the Kittery Trading Post back when KTP always had hundred of used firearms on their site and were turning them over so fast that if you missed checking for a day you might miss a gem.

223 REM - $350 - 12/18

6.5 CM - $525 - 01/17

338 FED - $600 - 05/17

I felt that the prices were fair, with the 223 being even a little better.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I’m worried Ruger will eventually stop making a 77 period with all these American rifles taking over.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm a fan of them myself. I have a SS Hawkeye 35 Whelen and a SS MKII 243 ultra light. they are great rifles and I hope to add a couple more to the safe when decent deals pop up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I owned two Hawkeye AWs and a Predator. Gave the Predator to my son and let the others, a .223 and a .243, go in search of the will ‘o wisp. Excellent rifles. I put the .223 in a factory walnut stock and it was pretty handsome. They are a trifle heavy, being all steel.

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
My favorite rifles and I own a pile of them in both the sporter and ultralight configurations. I wish Ruger would make an All-Weather Ultralight .308 win. I don’t know why this configuration was never done. Seems like a no brainer to me. Here’s one of my latest, a Sports South exclusive 30-06 Ultralight.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a Ruger Hawkeye SS in .338 WM. The wife bought it for me when Wal-Mart in Anchorage clearances them out in 2018. I put a Yo-Dave trigger spring in it and it loves a load of 225 Barnes TTSX.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When all is said and done cockroaches and Ruger 77 MKIIs will remain. Just a bombproof design; simple, steel, heavily proportioned internals, one-piece bolt, integral bases. I bought one of the newer "full form" synthetic stocks for my stainless/boat paddle .308, it worked fine but I've gone back to the skeleton zytel; beauty is as beauty does. Should've bought a few more in the late 90's.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" -Isaac Asimov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive seen more m77s locally than any other rifle. I love the stainless on the MKIIs.

Yup.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AKduck
Ive seen more m77s locally than any other rifle. I love the stainless on the MKIIs.

I have a couple left. One a 300wm, and one my favorite configuration: The 300 RSAUM. Only made for 1 year:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sweet little shooter.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Agree with the stainless on the MKII. The matte version on the Hawkeyes tends to show more scuffs than the shiny ones.

My main hunting rifle is a Hawkeye .338. It's in a Hogue stock, kinda chunky, but it shoots so well that I never bothered to look for something else. Year after year, a couple shots around .5 moa, but often a ragged hole. Then I go hunting. It's ended the careers of a "few" critters. I picked up a MKII 338 with open sights and a silver Leupold last fall. Considering giving that a turn for this years' adventures. It will be hard to leave ol' faithful at home tho...

Got a minty .243 a while back, was going to sell it, but haven't managed to talk myself into it yet. Found a 22-250 boat paddle, those seem to be hard to come by. The Hawkeye .308 will likely be my kids rifle this year. They've been using a youth model American, but will probably let them upgrade now that they are bigger. The Hawkeye 22-250 I bought used, had a bulge in the barrel about 1/2" from the muzzle. Lopped about 1-1/4" off it and recrowned, it now kills yotes whenever I point it at one. (Except that one time hunting at night at full moon). Then the original .300 boat paddle took my best ever moose about 20 yrs ago. And a .300 Hawkeye latest addition. Anyway, probably over sharing, but I like them.

I've tuned up the triggers on some of them, makes a difference. Make sure the mag box isn't putting pressure on the action. Get the action torqued into the stock right. Then go hunt.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Agree with the stainless on the MKII. The matte version on the Hawkeyes tends to show more scuffs than the shiny ones.

My main hunting rifle is a Hawkeye .338. It's in a Hogue stock, kinda chunky, but it shoots so well that I never bothered to look for something else. Year after year, a couple shots around .5 moa, but often a ragged hole. Then I go hunting. It's ended the careers of a "few" critters. I picked up a MKII 338 with open sights and a silver Leupold last fall. Considering giving that a turn for this years' adventures. It will be hard to leave ol' faithful at home tho...

Got a minty .243 a while back, was going to sell it, but haven't managed to talk myself into it yet. Found a 22-250 boat paddle, those seem to be hard to come by. The Hawkeye .308 will likely be my kids rifle this year. They've been using a youth model American, but will probably let them upgrade now that they are bigger. The Hawkeye 22-250 I bought used, had a bulge in the barrel about 1/2" from the muzzle. Lopped about 1-1/4" off it and recrowned, it now kills yotes whenever I point it at one. (Except that one time hunting at night at full moon). Then the original .300 boat paddle took my best ever moose about 20 yrs ago. And a .300 Hawkeye latest addition. Anyway, probably over sharing, but I like them.

I've tuned up the triggers on some of them, makes a difference. Make sure the mag box isn't putting pressure on the action. Get the action torqued into the stock right. Then go hunt.

Sounds like you have a good collection. First off, they need to be glass bedded.
Then you don't have to worry about what torque setting you run those action screws. They tend to shoot real well, after glass bedding. Second, they all need trigger work. They are horrible otherwise. They also get a good raceway polishing, so the bolts run nice and smooth. More like a Winchester model 70.

You mention 338wm. Those have been some of my favorites. They tend to shoot very well:
4 shots in that hole.

BSA MAGA
NMiller Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Do you bed tbe synthetic stocks as well? Or just rhe wood? I've done some work on the rails of mine too. Definitely helps slick it up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two in 7x57 and 9.3x62.

The way life should be.
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Sounds like you have a good collection. First off, they need to be glass bedded.
Then you don't have to worry about what torque setting you run those action screws. They tend to shoot real well, after glass bedding. Second, they all need trigger work. They are horrible otherwise. They also get a good raceway polishing, so the bolts run nice and smooth. More like a Winchester model 70.

You mention 338wm. Those have been some of my favorites. They tend to shoot very well:
4 shots in that hole.
Nice👍👍

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Do you bed tbe synthetic stocks as well? Or just rhe wood? I've done some work on the rails of mine too. Definitely helps slick it up.
I glass bed them all. On the Rugers, it has cut the group size in half, in most cases. This is most noticeable on the wood stocked rifles. Sometimes you can get away with not glass bedding the synthetic stocked rifles. Due to the angled front action screw, that helps pull the action down into the stock, and back a bit. This actually helps with minimizing poi shift, on a non glass bedded rifle. If your all weather shoots well without bedding, I’d leave it alone.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

637 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,888
Posts18,479,129
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.