Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I don’t like pancake syrup on meat. I know that is weird and that my taste preference reflects a tiny minority of American consumers. Every commercial BBQ sauce that I have tried is sweet. Now and then I mix up a homemade batch of non-sweet BBQ sauce, and like it, but wish that I could simply buy a good savory sauce with NO sweetness. Anyone know of such a product?

I tried a fairly expensive Keto friendly sauce last week that had claimed to have very low sugar and carbs. The stuff was icky sweet.

Does a non-sweet store bought BBQ sauce exist?

Last edited by Okanagan; 02/12/24.
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Have you ever tried https://www.gourmetrdsauceco.com ? I don't fine it's as sweet as most of the others. Or "Stubbs" original?

PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried the G. Hughes sauces?

Get em at the Walmarks.

[img]https://images.heb.com/is/image/HEBGrocery/002129409[/img]

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Stubbs doesn't have much of a sweet taste. I like to mix a little apple cider vinegar in it to up the twang a bit as well.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
In North Central Louisiana they like mustard based sauce. I think a lot of them make their own.
In South Louisiana there is a sauce sold in every Store that isn't sweet. Jack Miller's. It is probably available online.

IC B2

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sounds good I will try some.

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been using this brand since the late 70's when Pops first taught me to grill and bbq.

The original Cook-in Sauce ain't sweet.

Sweet n Sour isn't available it's now Smoky n Sweet but it's nothing like the sickly sweet crap out there.

Bold and Spicy no sweet and has a good kick.

https://woodysbbqpantry.com/sauces/

[Linked Image from woodysbbqpantry.com]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is good stuff as well for those that don't mind a little sweet and savory

I call it black gold.

Ain't nothing like you've seen or tasted before ever.

Comes in Spicy as well

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by FatCity67; 02/13/24.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the replies. I have a query into Jack Miller and wish I could taste it. Hope they have somewhere local I can buy a bottle rather than order it. Will check out some others suggested.

I have tried Stubbs. As others have said, it is not as sweet as most. The words “not as sweet as…” is a deal breaker for me. smile

I plan to track down a regional BBQ out of Ferndale, WA, called Brickhouse. Years ago I met the man who makes it, bought a jug and liked it pretty well but had totally lost track and have never seen it in a store since. He’s apparently still in business, online.

This is a good quest!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
In North Central Louisiana they like mustard based sauce. I think a lot of them make their own.
In South Louisiana there is a sauce sold in every Store that isn't sweet. Jack Miller's. It is probably available online.

Jack Miller's (and neighbor sauce Pig Stand) isn't a sweet sauce in the sense of Sweet Baby Ray's or whatever, but it does have sweetness in its flavor profile. The OP seems to be looking for zero sweetness.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Thanks for the replies. I have a query into Jack Miller and wish I could taste it. Hope they have somewhere local I can buy a bottle rather than order it. Will check out some others suggested.

I have tried Stubbs. As others have said, it is not as sweet as most. The words “not as sweet as…” is a deal breaker for me. smile

I plan to track down a regional BBQ out of Ferndale, WA, called Brickhouse. Years ago I met the man who makes it, bought a jug and liked it pretty well but had totally lost track and have never seen it in a store since. He’s apparently still in business, online.

This is a good quest!

For NO sweetness you don't want Jack Miller's either.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
This stuff is really good. Uses dates to sweeten, but it isn't sweet at all. Mix a little acv in it and it perfect.

https://goodfoodforgood.ca/collections/organic-barbecue-sauces/products/sugar-free-bbq-sauce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or make some. This is a recipe Mickey Coleman had posted while trying to recreate Ollies bbq sauce.

Ollie’s was a well known Alabama joint. Great bbq. Sauce isn’t sweet, but does have a bit of sugar.

FOSCO'S FAMOUS ALABAMA STYLE SAUCE
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup white vinegar
1tbsp brown sugar
2tsp kosher salt
1/4tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried hot red pepper flakes
1/4 to 1/2 cup ketchup
1tsp onion powder
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp ground mustard powder
worcestershire

Put it all in a Mason jar and shake it up really well. Allow to set for 15
minutes before using.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the heads up re jack Miller sweetness. Wish I could try the organic sauce mentioned just above, sweetened only with dates, without having to buy a four pack. The local Brickhouse sauce from Ferndale WA is out of production for now.

Mathman is correct that I'm looking for zero sweetness. A tiny bit of raw sugar is good sometimes on fresh salmon, not enough to taste the sweet but just barely takes the harsh edge off of the strongest spices. That's how I do salmon for grilling. By way of contrast, my neighbor coats salmon in 3/4 brown sugar and 1/4 salt.

This quest has perked my cravings and I'm ready to make up a batch of savory BBQ sauce. Thanks again!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Thanks for the heads up re jack Miller sweetness. Wish I could try the organic sauce mentioned just above, sweetened only with dates, without having to buy a four pack. The local Brickhouse sauce from Ferndale WA is out of production for now.

Mathman is correct that I'm looking for zero sweetness. A tiny bit of raw sugar is good sometimes on fresh salmon, not enough to taste the sweet but just barely takes the harsh edge off of the strongest spices. That's how I do salmon for grilling. By way of contrast, my neighbor coats salmon in 3/4 brown sugar and 1/4 salt.

This quest has perked my cravings and I'm ready to make up a batch of savory BBQ sauce. Thanks again!

Ok Boss, here is one bottle on Amazon for $7.

I usually make my own, but your OP suggested you wanted to buy some.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
GOOD FOOD FOR GOOD Organic Classic BBQ Sauce, 9.5 OZ https://a.co/d/bpOcizK

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Scott's good stuff

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
As a general rule, anything "Texas Style" is going to be more savory than sweet.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Lots of recipes available to try at home - adjust to your liking !

https://www.vindulge.com/spicy-mango-jalapeno-bbq-sauce-no-sugar-added/

https://heygrillhey.com/no-sugar-added-homemade-bbq-sauce/

I trust both these ladies, cooked many of their recipes !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 71 invisible), 3,025 guests, and 1,387 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,230
Posts18,485,651
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.