Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by RHOD
Originally Posted by earlybrd
Mr Oreogummy Im proud of my heritage I can do a break down of evry Virginia regiment and evry battle my folks wuz in from bull run to Appomattox.
Plz list ur families contributions if you would oblige 😃

Good for you. Your pride in your heritage isn’t the issue.

Quit dodging the question, you’re starting to look afraid of the answer. You’re a grown man, act like one.

Was slavery wrong in 1860?

P

Heck, If you can get some of the people on this site to say chattel race based slavery would be wrong in 2024, I’d be impressed.

I don’t know why he won’t answer the question.

Okay, that’s wrong, I know why he won’t answer the question. We all do.

Watch now, either he won’t respond at all or he’ll deflect clumsily with another Bull Run (you’d think he’d at least spell it right) proud of my heritage statement.

P

That's the problem with some people here. It goes beyond lost cause mythology to unvarnished racism. There's a difference between not accepting historical truth and being a racist douche, but some guys here manage to do both very well.
Mmkay 🥴

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is said slavery is all we are fighting for, and if we give it up we give up all. Even if this were true, which we deny, slavery is not all our enemies are fighting for. It is merely the pretense to establish sectional superiority and a more centralized form of government, and to deprive us of our rights and liberties.

Patrick Cleburne

I am with the South in life or death, in victory or defeat. I believe the North is about to wage a brutal and unholy war on a people who have done them no wrong, in violation of the Constitution and the fundamental principles of government. They no longer acknowledge that all government derives its validity from the consent of the governed. They are about to invade our peaceful homes, destroy our property, and murder our men and dishonor our women. We propose no invasion of the North, no attack on them, and only ask to be left alone.

Patrick Cleburne

Surrender means that the history of this heroic struggle will be written by the enemy; that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers; will learn from Northern school books their version of the War; will be impressed by all the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors, and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Patrick Cleburne

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/13/24.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
To be blunt the Southern Aristocracy was lazy and close minded. By that I mean if they had adopted the Northern Factory approach to labor management they would have voluntarily gave up slavery. Look at how the workers in the factories of the North were treated; they worked for pennies, worked man-killing hours, children in the factories because of their small size let them move among the machinery, and if they were hurt, maimed or killed on the job, simply mop up the mess and move on to another poor Pole, German or Mick. The Factory owners didn't feed, house, clothe or medicate their employees. The used them up and replaced them.
It wasn't until Reconstruction forced the share-cropping system on Southern landowners that many realized their mistake. Share-cropping was as much a form of slavery as the Ante-Bellum south ever saw. It was economic slavery, dare I say even serfdom. And the beauty of the Share-cropping system was the work force was expanded to include poor rural whites. Often the families of the very men that made up the bulk of the front line infantry of the Confederate Army.
Argue amongst yourselves.

bkraft

"Four things greater than all things are, Women and Horses and Power and War."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was slavery right in 1860?
P
Obviously it was wrong. Besides owning humans being of itself wrong, look at what it has done to this nation.

A substantial number of people readily identifiable by their appearance and overall lower in intelligence (there are exceptions) now form a sizable underperforming sub-culture in our society. This sub-culture provides us now with violent crime and other societal pathologies far in excess of their actual percentage of the population at large.

Besides that, think of the violence in Africa caused by the slave trade. How much war and killing was done by blacks in the efforts to capture humans to sell at the coast. White men were not going inland and capturing people to load onto ships. It was the blacks they contracted with to provide captives. If there hadn't been the demand there wouldn't have been the violence necessary to capture Negroes for the trade.

Now we have to live with them. And our homegrown slave stock will never rise to the level of the educated African black doctors and other professionals that have lately immigrated to America and fit in quite nicely.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Morally, it can most certainly argued that slavery was wrong. However, in the mindset of that period of time, a very large number of people saw nothing wrong with it. Now, suppose we could fast foward in time to 150-200 years from now, and provided there is still a United States, or for that matter even life on Earth as we know it now, I believe that certain things that we consider to be both morally and legally right today, will be considered as wrong in that time period........just as we look back on the time frame in which slavery was legal.

My ancestors owned slaves, and it does not bother me in the least that they did. In that time period it was legal to do so, and was an accepted practice. I can't go back and change it, or question them as to why they did, and even if I could, it was the law of the land that they lived in that it was their right to do so. I'm not going to condemn someone who lived 200 years ago for doing what they thought was right, anymore than I want my grandchildren or great-grandchildren condeming me for doing what I had the right to do in the time that I lived in.

IC B2

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Morally, it can most certainly argued that slavery was wrong. However, in the mindset of that period of time, a very large number of people saw nothing wrong with it. Now, suppose we could fast foward in time to 150-200 years from now, and provided there is still a United States, or for that matter even life on Earth as we know it now, I believe that certain things that we consider to be both morally and legally right today, will be considered as wrong in that time period........just as we look back on the time frame in which slavery was legal.

My ancestors owned slaves, and it does not bother me in the least that they did. In that time period it was legal to do so, and was an accepted practice. I can't go back and change it, or question them as to why they did, and even if I could, it was the law of the land that they lived in that it was their right to do so. I'm not going to condemn someone who lived 200 years ago for doing what they thought was right, anymore than I want my grandchildren or great-grandchildren condeming me for doing what I had the right to do in the time that I lived in.
Yes indeed well said

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent post! Growing up near Johnstown and Windber, I have often thought about southern slavery versus northern wage slavery.
Pollocks, Hunkies, Dagos, and Micks were brought in by the thousands to man the mills, factories and mines in the north.
These folks often had it tougher than the African Slaves. A slave was worth something, like any other possession it had to be maintained and cared for.
But these wage slaves were only worth what they could produce.
Their existence, and their families existence was totally dependent on their jobs.
They lived in company owned shacks, most knew very little English. Their overseers were careful to keep them segregated, so they could not unite for better conditions.
Most never saw a US mint made nickel. They were paid in script, worthless everywhere but the company store to buy food and pay rent.
If they were hurt or killed, their families were homeless and penniless.
This harsh practice was completely legal in northern states where abolitionist were shouting about the evils of human bondage!
This was continued well after the 13th Amendment was passed. Even well into the 1920s and 30s!
These folks were poor and hopeless. If they protested about it they were beaten, sometimes killed! During the war trouble makers were moved to the very top of the draft list.
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
But these Pollocks, and Hunkies , Dagos and Micks, accepted this hopeless life because they knew their children were better off here in the United States than anywhere else in the entire world. This was, and still is, a land of personal freedom and opportunity.
Lotta people making noise about reparations for people who were never slaves, paid by the descendants of these wage slaves!😀 After all they have always had white privilege!
Reon

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Is a hunkie like a honky?🤣

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Excellent post! Growing up near Johnstown and Windber, I have often thought about southern slavery versus northern wage slavery.
Pollocks, Hunkies, Dagos, and Micks were brought in by the thousands to man the mills, factories and mines in the north.
These folks often had it tougher than the African Slaves. A slave was worth something, like any other possession it had to be maintained and cared for.
But these wage slaves were only worth what they could produce.
Their existence, and their families existence was totally dependent on their jobs.
They lived in company owned shacks, most knew very little English. Their overseers were careful to keep them segregated, so they could not unite for better conditions.
Most never saw a US mint made nickel. They were paid in script, worthless everywhere but the company store to buy food and pay rent.
If they were hurt or killed, their families were homeless and penniless.
This harsh practice was completely legal in northern states where abolitionist were shouting about the evils of human bondage!
This was continued well after the 13th Amendment was passed. Even well into the 1920s and 30s!
These folks were poor and hopeless. If they protested about it they were beaten, sometimes killed! During the war trouble makers were moved to the very top of the draft list.
Reon
Yes, slavery did not end in 1865. It was just rearranged and called something else. I say that I saw slavery in the 1950s and early 60s in the Red River Valley of north Louisiana. It was called sharecropping, and there were half-hands that lived on the place and raised a crop for half of it which was owed to the store by the end of the harvest. There was always a balance left and it was illegal to leave owing. Day labor was paid from $1.50 to $2 a day most of what they spent at the farm store for lunch of baloney, bread, and strawberry soda pop. Real money was made picking cotton if you were fast, as much as 2 or 3 cents a pound, pecans were picked up at 5 cents a pound and children could be pressed into service picking cotton or pecans. A lot of the blacks secretly decamped the farms and headed north to wherever their relatives were that had already escaped.

As a child I would see truck loads of blacks being hauled to the fields during the hoeing season with hoe handles sticking out every which way. There was usually an elderly black man foreman of sorts filing hoes while the cotton was chopped.

I have heard that the farm blacks were not evacuated to town during the 1927 flood for fear they would get away and not return.

The houses were 3 room shotgun houses without any utilities. Some farms did allow a garden but some planted cotton all the way to the house.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Mr Oreogummy Im proud of my heritage I can do a break down of evry Virginia regiment and evry battle my folks wuz in from bull run to Appomattox.

Quit dodging the question, you’re starting to look afraid of the answer. You’re a grown man, act like one.

P

Heck, If you can get some of the people on this site to say chattel race based slavery would be wrong in 2024, I’d be impressed.

Watch now, either he won’t respond at all or he’ll deflect clumsily with another Bull Run (you’d think he’d at least spell it right) proud of my heritage statement.

P

That's the problem with some people here. It goes beyond lost cause mythology to unvarnished racism. There's a difference between not accepting historical truth and being a racist douche, but some guys here manage to do both very well.
Mmkay 🥴

If 'slavery' was it why would so many non-owners join in the battle voluntarily?

Slavery wasn't a thing here in the mountains of SWVA yet my GG grandfather walked away from a lucrative law career to join the CSA.

FJB & FJT
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E

P

P
Question for you I got one

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

P
No does that make your feelers feel better

Thank you for finally answering the question.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Ur

P

P
Ur welcome

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

P

P

Okay virtue signal warrior....now what?

I am MAGA.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JoeBob

P

Stupid question that doesn’t matter. In 2124 owning guns will be wrong in 2024. In 2124 meat will be wrong in 2024. In 2124 free migration will be wrong in 2024. And in 2124 internal combustion engines will be a terrible crime against the earth in 2024. All the harsh measures undertaken in the next few decades to stop the horrible practices will be necessary and message board historical illiterates will champion their success.

Reading comprehension time.

Notice I said “in 1860.”

I didn’t say now. I maintained historical mores for a reason.

Of course values change, customs change, laws change.

I asked him if, in 1860, slavery was wrong.

He said yes.

So in 1860, the predominant economic institution in the American South was wrong.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

P

P
Question for you I got one

Let’s hear it.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hunky is slang for Eastern Europeans brought here to work in mines and factories. Same with Dagos for Italians and Micks for Irish.
My grandfather on Moms side came here from Slovakia in the early 1900s. Their name was Kokoruda. He was a miner, but his son prospered with a dry cleaning business that was forced to close during the depression.
Mom was a Hunky, one of 15 children. They landed in the poor house run by the Salvation Army. The oldest brother would hide the girls if someone came around looking to adopt! Holding the family together was very important. They all worked hard and saved enough to buy a home in Hornerstown, a very upscale neighborhood at that time. They lived next to my Dad’s Mom.
She met Dad when he returned from Europe in 1946. Those Hunky girls were all gorgeous ladies and wonderful cooks.
Dad and Mom moved to Pleasantville, my home in the early ‘60s. He worked as a cranemen in Bethlehem Steel for 36 years, commuting the 35 miles over Pleasantville Mountain. That can be a fairly nasty trip in the winter!😀
He had a ‘58 Edsel convertible, push button automatic in the middle of the steering wheel! Couldn’t park on a hill because you’d never be able to put the thing in gear!
He started Oldham’s Auto Salvage in 1964, the year before I was born!
Reon

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

P

P

Okay virtue signal warrior....now what?

Now we wait until 9 or 10 months for the next War of Northern Aggression thread.

P

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
Hunky is slang for Eastern Europeans brought here to work in mines and factories. Same with Dagos for Italians and Micks for Irish.
My grandfather on Moms side came here from Slovakia in the early 1900s. Their name was Kokoruda. He was a miner, but his son prospered with a dry cleaning business that was forced to close during the depression.
Mom was a Hunky, one of 15 children. They landed in the poor house run by the Salvation Army. The oldest brother would hide the girls if someone came around looking to adopt! Holding the family together was very important. They all worked hard and saved enough to buy a home in Hornerstown, a very upscale neighborhood at that time. They lived next to my Dad’s Mom.
She met Dad when he returned from Europe in 1946. Those Hunky girls were all gorgeous ladies and wonderful cooks.
Dad and Mom moved to Pleasantville, my home in the early ‘60s. He worked as a cranemen in Bethlehem Steel for 36 years, commuting the 35 miles over Pleasantville Mountain. That can be a fairly nasty trip in the winter!😀
He had a ‘58 Edsel convertible, push button automatic in the middle of the steering wheel! Couldn’t park on a hill because you’d never be able to put the thing in gear!
He started Oldham’s Auto Salvage in 1964, the year before I was born!
Reon
Cool

Page 9 of 31 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (2500HD, 300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 20 invisible), 1,731 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.