Print Thread
Hop To
#19192026 02/08/24
M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Trying for more than only 1 image per post[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://postimg.cc/SjBr5BXk][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by missedbycracky; 02/08/24.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
What a beautiful 99 !! Never seen a straight stock with a cheek piece. Can you tell us more about the gun?

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I assembled it from pieces. Barrel from eBay, Butt from GB, forearm from Fajen before they folded, everything else from my inventory. I basically waited 30 years for a buttstock to match the forend (then 3 weeks later, found another). I had earlier bought a bunch of straight stocks with cheek pieces from Fajen; I suspect they were available at fire sale prices because of low demand. I didn't use any of them because they did not do justice to the forearm. I seriously thought about removing the cheek because I have a good friend and repeat customer who is left handed, and I thought he might like it
. The stock was grotesquely over size, and by the time I got it trimmed, defined the receiver cheeks, cut the flutes and started making some shape out of it I for some reason did not want to cut the cheekpiece off. I did recontour it because it was far too large at first.

My path was evolutionary, if not especially logical. I bought the barrel because I wanted a 7-30. The only inletted forearm I had with the long lug spacing was this fancy one, and I removed a lot of mass from it. Then a takedown receiver (originally a 300 G bought from a guy who said there was a Sad Story behind it, but never revealed its secret) had to be cleaned up and rust blued before adding all the internals. Meanwhile, a fancy straight stock appeared on GB, so I snagged it. Magazine carrier is 30-30, no modification needed. Lever is 22 HP; it slip closed without any droop. I selected a bolt that headspaced properly, but I never knew its origin. I temporarily put a Lightfoot mount on it so I could hopefully hit something with it, and the results are there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Handsome little devil...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
WoW Sam!
I'm not sure how I missed this 'til now.., but Wow! Very pretty pieces of wood, and nice target!

What did your barrel start as?
What cartridge rotor are You using?

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I don't know anything about the barrel. It is a custom bearing only the caliber for inscriptions, but advertised as unfired. I bought it on eBay and built everything else around it. It is a takedown, so I rescued an old rusty 300 G receiver, 30-30 carrier, lever from a 22 HP, forearm from my inventory, butt from GB and so on. I broke the barrel in using the shoot, clean, cool method, and fired the target at the end of the break-in period.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
WoW Sam!
I'm not sure how I missed this 'til now.., but Wow! Very pretty pieces of wood, and nice target!

SOOOOOO what is your model designation on that beautiful piece.

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
Not sure, Norm. This is one of those projects that took unexpected turns. My original plan was a $500 shooter, partially because of the no-name barrel. It had already been dovetailed for the long forearm lug spacing, and the only one I had already inletted for that dimension is the one you see. It had been composting for 30 or more years, waiting for a suitable match in a buttstock, so I decided to use it. Shortly after I opened the channel to fit the heavier barrel, the butt showed up on GB so I snagged it. From that point on, there was no turning back; I had to make a nice one.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I just found an E in 250-3000 but with craze stocks on it and a lever thats been heated and bent to fit a pistol grip.
Iam thinking of getting it putting on a set of new G stocks a proper lever with great case color. I have an E in 30-30 and 1 in 303 and feel the need to salvage the 250 .

Norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dang sharp use of parts, what a beauty, love the wood
.mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by norm99
Originally Posted by JeffG
WoW Sam!

SOOOOOO what is your model designation on that beautiful piece.

Norm

..." one piece at a time,..."

JeffG
M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
JeffG, I left out an important component. Although the 30-30 carrier worked fine without modification, the cartridge guide did not, nor was that unexpected. I ended up making 2 modifications to an unidentified guide which appeared identical to an early 250 guide.

Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Very sharp rifle... absolutely gorgeous wood 😄

Out of curiosity, are you basically limited to FP/RN in because of OAL/magazine length with the 7-30 or do shorter/lighter SP work?

M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I had some 120 gr psp that I had pulled from mystery reloads, so I used them for barrel break-in. They cycle just fine in both directions. Turned out they shot ok too.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As I told you on "the other place" that's a heckuva piece of awsome-ness! Bringing it to Noxen this year?

To my eye it appeals every bit as much as a cherry original gun (and just as valuable if not more so).

History has proven that non-original pieces of work can often far exceed the value of factory examples. Take for instance a Ballard Pacific: an original as-made example in pristine condition will set a fella back $3-4K, but if it was ministered to by someone like Schoyen, Petersen, Pope, Niedner, et al you must lay out twice or maybe three times that amount. Ditto a pristine original M1903 Springfield versus one put together by Owen, Hoffman, Griffin&Howe, etc. Both have their place, but for me once I've absorbed the details of a rifle I get bored and have to take it to the next level.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes Sam, I'm curious about the feed geometry changes.

The shoulder angle of the 7-30 seems to be the more important factor through the 99. I couldn't get good feed and extract through a 30-30, and had the same bullet-stubbing-it's-nose-too-high feed problem starting into a 25-35. it worked better in a 300 Sav rotor, but still not right.

JeffG
M
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
M
I think the carriers get blamed for a lot of problems that are actually caused by the guide and sometimes by the auto cutoff. For that reason I developed a sequence that includes carrier operation with no guide, and a set of undersize guide pins that make guide changes a snap. The final piece is the auto cutoff, and that can be both subtle and esoteric. Sometimes I can glance at one and say, aha, this is what it needs, and sometimes it is like Edison and the light bulb all over again.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Awesome .

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,670
Posts18,474,777
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.