Leave the scope mounted, or not?
Leave the bolt in the gun, or not?

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I always remove both. Been reducing my collection over the last three years and estimate I shipped over a dozen rifles using USPS. All arrived in perfect condition. Cardboard and bubble wrap are your friends. Easier to use to extra cushioning and padding than trying to file a claim later.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I always remove both. Been reducing my collection over the last three years and estimate I shipped over a dozen rifles using USPS. All arrived in perfect condition. Cardboard and bubble wrap are your friends. Easier to use to extra cushioning and padding than trying to file a claim later.

I remove bolt and generally ask buyer their preference on the scope.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Always an adventure

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If the buyer agrees, I like to take the barreled action out of the stock. It makes for a much shorter package, and doesn't seem to scream "firearm enclosed" like a long thin package does. Most shipping damage is where the stock is broken at the wrist, and this alleviates that problem.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Biebs
If the buyer agrees, I like to take the barreled action out of the stock. It makes for a much shorter package, and doesn't seem to scream "firearm enclosed" like a long thin package does. Most shipping damage is where the stock is broken at the wrist, and this alleviates that problem.
Where do you get your boxes? Do you make them from other boxes? Do you double box? Thanks in advance. I've been thinking of going this route. However, at least around here, boxes the size you reference are almost as hard to find as actual gun boxes.

On another note, with respect to removing the bolt, that may be a requirement by federal law. I'm not asserting that to be the case. I'm asserting that I've heard that and have always done so.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mad_Max
Originally Posted by Biebs
Where do you get your boxes? Do you make them from other boxes? Do you double box? Thanks in advance. I've been thinking of going this route. However, at least around here, boxes the size you reference are almost as hard to find as actual gun boxes.

On another note, with respect to removing the bolt, that may be a requirement by federal law. I'm not asserting that to be the case. I'm asserting that I've heard that and have always done so.

If you are shipping in a hard case - I order the simple Plano type case from a store like Cabelas - it's going to ship in an outer box already. I'll pad the inside of the case, remove the bolt, and send it UPS.

If I can pull the action out of the stock - I'll cut the same box above in half and sleeve it into the opposite half, add some extra cardboard on the ends and tape the snot out of it.

Finding boxes is a target of opportunity - LGS has daily throwaways that they give out, the local archery shop has short heavyweight boxes that are great for shipping the rifle separated. You can order boxes from U-Line and other supply houses if you're looking for above average protection.

I've only had one issue with a bolt missing, but the buyer waited 2 1/2 months to pick the rifle up from the FFL, before realizing the bolt was missing. If I ship again, the bolt will be padded, bagged and taped to the padding around the barrel. YMMV

Last edited by AH64guy; 10/26/23.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
What Biebs says!

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Thanks AH64 for the response.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shipped a rifle with the scope on. The new owner bought it for his sons birthday and wanted to shoot right of the box.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My LGS has a closet full of boxes from rifles ordered in. I get boxes from them. I always double-box, and sometimes add a piece of thin plywood top and bottom to stiffen things up. Remove the bolt on a BA rifle, as they can pop through the carton in transit.

J
JeffyD Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I appreciate the suggestions, guys.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Might as well spill what I do.
I order plastic cases from Walmart for about $20 each. I line the case on each side with a piece of cardboard cut from the box the case was shipped in. This helps reinforce the case and also makes a tighter fit once the case is closed. Rifle is enclosed in a silicone gun sock and bolt is removed and wrapped separately. Tape the plastic case shut using reinforced fiber tape and zip lock all the holes. Tape a address label on the case and send it USPS.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I'm with Biebs---- but I also put something over the muzzle (plastic bottle etc.) to protect it and I put all info (Sender & receiver) inside with the rifle.

NEVER TELL ANYONE THAT IT IS A FIREARM and IF A MANUFACTURER, ADDRESS TO (IE) SRI (STURM RUGER INC.)

Hip

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
If its a valuable rifle, I usually ship in a case similar to snowwolfe, but then try and find a cardboard box to put the case in so it doesnt look like a gun.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I will dumpster hunt at furniture stores. Appliance etc. You can also pursue the back of malls. Lots of recycle dumpsters. Will grab a few good boxes and stash them.
Set case on broken down box and have at it. Sharp knife and you have a perfect box in under 5 minutes. Tape accordingly.
W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
You can also turn the box the case came in inside out to hide markings.
W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
Vinyl siding boxes work great. You can get 2 out of 1 long box.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by woofer
You can also turn the box the case came in inside out to hide markings.
W
Another easy way to mask a box is buy rolled brown paper (shipping aisle) from
Lowes or Walmart. Wrap it like a present.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
WMR Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Might as well spill what I do.
I order plastic cases from Walmart for about $20 each. I line the case on each side with a piece of cardboard cut from the box the case was shipped in. This helps reinforce the case and also makes a tighter fit once the case is closed. Rifle is enclosed in a silicone gun sock and bolt is removed and wrapped separately. Tape the plastic case shut using reinforced fiber tape and zip lock all the holes. Tape a address label on the case and send it USPS.

This is pretty much what I do. Alas, the Walmart hard cases that used to cost me $9 are now $19. USPS shipping has gotten costly as well. Add to this that USPS, now my only option, seems to delay or lose them with regularity. Brother and I each have inbound rifles MIA at this time. I’m not sure what to do going forward. Strange times indeed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.