Print Thread
Hop To
K
kennyd Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I feel it is time to go the ar route. No experience. What isa reasonable start? Lower kit snd upper or buy a completed gun. Sights?
Be aware I am 76 and have a severely disabled wife to look after

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
For a first time AR, I suggest buying a complete rifle. Then if you have time, and want to change parts, you have the platform to work on. Try to find the rifle that best suits your needs from the start. That way, you won't find yourself needing to change too many parts.

I also don't care how mechanically inclined a person is, or how much a person works on guns/rifles. It's always nice to have a good finished example in front of you, when it comes time to build one. Just how I see it, and what I did when I got my first AR.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You can get pretty good shooters for under $500 from either PSA or Del-Ton.

"Drop that or by the splendor of God I will blow your heart out." Kit Carson

"Make sure you are doing what God wants you to do then do it with all your strength." George Washington
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I will go against my normal grain here and suggest a colt that floats your boat. Ready to drive. At your age plus your wife and zero experience I suspect Colt is by far your best bet for the money. If the trigger sucks then have it replaced by something that you like by a smith.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by kennyd
I feel it is time to go the ar route. No experience. What isa reasonable start? Lower kit snd upper or buy a completed gun. Sights?
Be aware I am 76 and have a severely disabled wife to look after
Head over to Palmetto State Armory and pick up one of their complete rifles for under $500 (with front sight gas block). They sell plastic flip-up rear sight for cheap.
Then head over to Gunmagwarehouse and pick up some 30 round pMags - or whatever is on sale.
And if your eyes aren't happy with iron sights, back to PSA and get a Sig Romeo 5 red dot (has motion activated on/off).

Buy/reload ammo and have fun!

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa...ato-1-7-phos-m4-classic-rifle-black.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/aim...-up-sight-for-ar-15-m-4-rifle-mt201.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-sauer-romeo5-1x20mm-red-dot-sight-black-r52001.html

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/ets-gen-2-ar-15-223-5-56-30-round-black-magazine.html

Last edited by dla; 02/14/24.
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I urge you to be careful on what mags you pick. Do a bit of research. We mostly stick with 20 rounders and the "factory" GI ones from Brownells have been flawless.

We have spent more than a few bucks over the last 40 or so years on mags that were cheaper but have all kinds of issues. Junk.

As to the cheaper guns like PSA and BCA. They have good warranties but again, new to the AR and other issues Colt may be the best compromise all around.

Be careful of plastic rear flip up sights. They obviously are not nearly as good as metal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495
Be careful of plastic rear flip up sights. They obviously are not nearly as good as metal.
Tell that to glock. grin

I just bought a couple $6.49 ETS magazines on impulse. I'll see if they are junk or not.

Last edited by dla; 02/14/24.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Mile High Shooters Supply had Colt 6920’s on clearance for less than $1,000 when I stopped a few weeks ago. Can’t think of a better AR for a first time buyer. Good luck in your search!

Most of all he loved the fall
The leaves yellow on the cottonwoods
Leaves floating on the trout steams and above the hills
The high blue windless skies
Now he will be part of them, forever
- Earnest Hemingway, Idaho- 1939
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by dla
Originally Posted by rost495
Tell that to glock. grin

I just bought a couple $6.49 ETS magazines on impulse. I'll see if they are junk or not.
Tad bit of difference between the sights and exposure etc.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 25 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.