Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I’ve been looking to ID this and I’m not sure what model this is:
M40-X in 22-250
S# 062XXXB
Barrel Code OR. July 1997
27.5” SS H2 factory barrel
Wood target stock with target rail matte finish.

What I think it is: 40XB SS Match/Varmint Repeater, am I right?

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Looks like a match rifle, as the wood was removed for a rear aperture, and it is missing the front target sights. I'm assuming yours is the 40-XB. These were marked 40-X, but had a B at the end of the serial number, which you have blotted out in the picture, but confirmed in the OP. Nice rifles. I'm sure it shoots amazingly well.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you,

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
That’s a stainless 40-xb Rangemaster repeater. I have the same rifle in a 222 Rem.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
That’s a stainless 40-xb Rangemaster repeater. I have the same rifle in a 222 Rem.

R-P, does your have the original rear aperture and front sight? Would be cool to see pics of that.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
No rear sight or front aperture either. I don’t think they shipped with them or at least mine wasn’t. Otherwise identical.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The first time I shot it I loaded 3 different bullets and shot 5 at 100 yards. I repeated the 50 vmax for a handful of groups afterwards. It is a big, boringly accurate piece that I don’t have the heart to cut down and restock. It now sits as one of my most favourite but least used guns.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Fwiw I have had most heavy barrel Model 700’s, new and old, sps to 40-x models shoot like that. The level of accuracy I expect from Remington doesn’t require 40-x badging or prices. They just build a great .224 cal setup, great lock time, nice triggers. Deserves applause. 👏🏼

dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Very nice, Thanks!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No rear sight or front aperture either. I don’t think they shipped with them or at least mine wasn’t. Otherwise identical.

You are correct, they did not come with iron sights from the factory.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The first time I shot it I loaded 3 different bullets and shot 5 at 100 yards. I repeated the 50 vmax for a handful of groups afterwards. It is a big, boringly accurate piece that I don’t have the heart to cut down and restock. It now sits as one of my most favourite but least used guns.

That's how I'd expect it to shoot. Very nice. Thanks for sharing..

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The "B" suffix letter in the serial number does NOT designate the model of any configuration 40X.

OP,
You have a 40XB Rangemaster Repeater S/S receiver w/ walnut stock.

The rear bridge is machined for match rifle stripper clips.

The rifle as shipped would have a blued/CMo 700 trigger group modified by the CShop to 40X Repeater configuration w/ headless pull weight adjustment screw forward of bolt release lever.

Last edited by DANS40XC; 02/15/24.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
The receivers of both 700 and 722 based rifles were simply stamped “40-X”. The 700 based rifles had a “B” suffix to the serial number but earlier versions based on the 722 action had no suffix.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DANS40XC
The "B" suffix letter in the serial number does NOT designate the model of any configuration 40X.

OP,

The rifle as shipped would have a blued/CMo 700 trigger group modified by the CShop to 40X Repeater configuration w/ headless pull weight adjustment screw forward of bolt release lever.

According to other sources, the B suffix makes that particular 40x rifle a 40XB. Otherwise why are you calling it a 40XB rifle? You pulling that out of your azz?

Here's one source:
Info on Remington 40X rifles

Also, here's a good read, from a few years ago:

The Remington 40-X Rifle
A legend in it's own time

08 October 2001
By Paul "Pablito" Coburn

The 40-X series of rifles have been with us for about 40 years. The 40-X was the brainchild of Mike Walker, one of "Big guns" of Remington in the 1960's and an avid benchrest shooter.
He wanted Remington to have a "factory" target rifle that would beat anything in the field, including the famed Winchester M70/Target-Match.
Started in the early 60's, the 40-X line has expanded over the years to include rifles well suited to longrange target, Varmint shooting, military sniping, and benchrest shooting.
There are now two series of 40-X: the Match/Varmint rifles, and the Benchrest rifles, and contrary to popular belief, there ARE distinct differences between the two.
Each 40-X series rifle comes from the factory with a test target of two groups. The average of these two groups must meet the specifications required... about .75" for 30 cal rifles, and about .45" for the smaller calibers. Keep in mind that these groups are just "proof groups", and no indication of what the rifle is capable of. Nor is the load written on the target, a special load for that gun. Remington has standard loads for each caliber that they use to test the guns. These are NOT the best loads for the gun, so don't be disappointed if your new .308 40-X has two groups of 3/4"... it is capable of under .20" all day long.
All of the Match/Varmint Grade 40-XBs, regardless whether single shot, or repeater, are marked (Stamped!) 40-X on the left side of the receiver, opposite of the ejection port. The "B" part of the designation is the last digit of the serial number, as in "XXXXXX B".
There are NO match rifles marked "40-XB".
The first 40-X rifles had carbon-steel receivers and cro-moly barrels. These date in from the early 60's. By 1965, the barrels were stainless. Some years back (I don't know when), Remington switched to stainless steel receivers for the 40-XB Match/Varmint Rifles (but not for the benchrest rifles).
All 40-X series rifles are made on the short action. There never was a long action 40-X.
In the early years, there were two barrel weights, both 27.5": a medium (similar contour to the Varmint Special, but longer) called the H-1, and a straight heavy barrel called the H-2 (the current barrel). Now there is only one contour, the straight heavy barrel.
The 40-series rifles are available in single shot and repeater configurations. Of the repeaters, ONLY the .308 repeaters are clip slotted at the factory... If you order a repeater in another caliber, like .223 or .22-250, it is not clip slotted.
The receivers use the same barrel threads and same dimensions as the standard actions, BUT the 40-X series receivers are NOT taken from the standard production line and "trued"; they are made (and serial numbered) in a different facility.
The actions are NOT "blue printed" (there is no such thing as a blue printed action, no matter what your local 'smith says!). They are simply made true and square to spec, from the start. All the 40-X rifles I've owned had both lugs mated, all screw holes were true and in line, and they were impeccable.
My second 40-XB, a .308 40-XB/R (/R for repeater), was bought in 1966 and has a serial number of 0466xxB... A 40-XBBR I bought last year has a number of 0631xxB. That's 16,400-ish rifles in the 40-X series, made in 35 years, for an average of 470 a year, or 9 a week. And you want to know why there is a 10 month wait?
The standard barrel length for the 40-XB is 27.5", but they can be special ordered with shorter barrels. I have seen some in 26" and 24" from the factory. The early crowns were flat-faced, with a very small 45 degree counter-sink type crown (but done on a lathe). The current crown is a full faced, concave "dish crown". Both are equally accurate.
As to weight... 10.25 pounds... HA! (as Pat would say). The barreled action ALONE of a 27.5" 40-X weighs 8.5 pounds (9 pounds for a single shot). Add 3 pounds for a stock, and you're up to 11.5 to 12 pounds.
By the time you have scoped it, you are in the 13+ to 14+ weight range.
The benchrest rifles are the 40-XBBR, and they are marked as follows: The serial number XXXXXX B, and the notation "Remington Model 40XBR" is electro etched on the left side of the receiver, opposite the ejection port. The electro etching for the model number was specified (to minimize metal stress) from the very first "BR" action, and has been that way every since. All 40-XBBR actions were, and still are, carbon-steel, NOT stainless, and all are single shot.
The early 40-XBBRs were very heavy 26" barrels... (my 26", .222 Mag 40-XBBR is a brute). Then the benchrest associations changed their weight classifications, so Remington went to shorter barrels to drop a lot of weight. For a while, 20" barrels were very "in vogue", but now they are 24" long unless ordered shorter.
The stocks for the 40-XBBR are made by McMillan, and are a special, completely foam filled "shell" stock (to cut down weight), so the BR guns come in at 10.5 pounds. But, if you re-stock them with a "real" stock, they go up to 12 to 13 pounds.
Both the SINGLE-SHOT match, and the BR rifles can be had with a very good, triple lever, 2 oz trigger (it has NO SAFETY!!). The repeaters come with a very good double lever (adjustable from the outside) target trigger (with safety), which looks like, but is different than, the standard 700 trigger.
In '66, about twenty 40-Xs in 6mm-International were made for the AMU to compete in the Olympics. These had a special 2 oz trigger that had adjustable LOP hand built into them, but all the rest of the triggers over the years have been the same.
That's pretty much the story on the 40-X rifles... they are excellent rifles... better than most "custom built" rifles, and even though going for $1,800 to $2,000 (2001 prices), they are cheaper that many inferior custom rifles. Also, because of the 10 month wait, the resale is very high. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.

Hopefully you read this, as there is some good info there.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My friend has a dual port 40X.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

OP,

According to other sources, the B suffix makes that particular 40x rifle a 40XB. Otherwise why are you calling it a 40XB rifle? You pulling that out of your azz?

Here's one source:
Info on Remington 40X rifles

Also, here's a good read, from a few years ago:

The Remington 40-X Rifle
A legend in it's own time

08 October 2001
By Paul "Pablito" Coburn

The 40-X series of rifles have been with us for about 40 years. The 40-X was the brainchild of Mike Walker, one of "Big guns" of Remington in the 1960's and an avid benchrest shooter.
He wanted Remington to have a "factory" target rifle that would beat anything in the field, including the famed Winchester M70/Target-Match.
Started in the early 60's, the 40-X line has expanded over the years to include rifles well suited to longrange target, Varmint shooting, military sniping, and benchrest shooting.
There are now two series of 40-X: the Match/Varmint rifles, and the Benchrest rifles, and contrary to popular belief, there ARE distinct differences between the two.
Each 40-X series rifle comes from the factory with a test target of two groups. The average of these two groups must meet the specifications required... about .75" for 30 cal rifles, and about .45" for the smaller calibers. Keep in mind that these groups are just "proof groups", and no indication of what the rifle is capable of. Nor is the load written on the target, a special load for that gun. Remington has standard loads for each caliber that they use to test the guns. These are NOT the best loads for the gun, so don't be disappointed if your new .308 40-X has two groups of 3/4"... it is capable of under .20" all day long.
All of the Match/Varmint Grade 40-XBs, regardless whether single shot, or repeater, are marked (Stamped!) 40-X on the left side of the receiver, opposite of the ejection port. The "B" part of the designation is the last digit of the serial number, as in "XXXXXX B".
There are NO match rifles marked "40-XB".
The first 40-X rifles had carbon-steel receivers and cro-moly barrels. These date in from the early 60's. By 1965, the barrels were stainless. Some years back (I don't know when), Remington switched to stainless steel receivers for the 40-XB Match/Varmint Rifles (but not for the benchrest rifles).
All 40-X series rifles are made on the short action. There never was a long action 40-X.
In the early years, there were two barrel weights, both 27.5": a medium (similar contour to the Varmint Special, but longer) called the H-1, and a straight heavy barrel called the H-2 (the current barrel). Now there is only one contour, the straight heavy barrel.
The 40-series rifles are available in single shot and repeater configurations. Of the repeaters, ONLY the .308 repeaters are clip slotted at the factory... If you order a repeater in another caliber, like .223 or .22-250, it is not clip slotted.
The receivers use the same barrel threads and same dimensions as the standard actions, BUT the 40-X series receivers are NOT taken from the standard production line and "trued"; they are made (and serial numbered) in a different facility.
The actions are NOT "blue printed" (there is no such thing as a blue printed action, no matter what your local 'smith says!). They are simply made true and square to spec, from the start. All the 40-X rifles I've owned had both lugs mated, all screw holes were true and in line, and they were impeccable.
My second 40-XB, a .308 40-XB/R (/R for repeater), was bought in 1966 and has a serial number of 0466xxB... A 40-XBBR I bought last year has a number of 0631xxB. That's 16,400-ish rifles in the 40-X series, made in 35 years, for an average of 470 a year, or 9 a week. And you want to know why there is a 10 month wait?
The standard barrel length for the 40-XB is 27.5", but they can be special ordered with shorter barrels. I have seen some in 26" and 24" from the factory. The early crowns were flat-faced, with a very small 45 degree counter-sink type crown (but done on a lathe). The current crown is a full faced, concave "dish crown". Both are equally accurate.
As to weight... 10.25 pounds... HA! (as Pat would say). The barreled action ALONE of a 27.5" 40-X weighs 8.5 pounds (9 pounds for a single shot). Add 3 pounds for a stock, and you're up to 11.5 to 12 pounds.
By the time you have scoped it, you are in the 13+ to 14+ weight range.
The benchrest rifles are the 40-XBBR, and they are marked as follows: The serial number XXXXXX B, and the notation "Remington Model 40XBR" is electro etched on the left side of the receiver, opposite the ejection port. The electro etching for the model number was specified (to minimize metal stress) from the very first "BR" action, and has been that way every since. All 40-XBBR actions were, and still are, carbon-steel, NOT stainless, and all are single shot.
The early 40-XBBRs were very heavy 26" barrels... (my 26", .222 Mag 40-XBBR is a brute). Then the benchrest associations changed their weight classifications, so Remington went to shorter barrels to drop a lot of weight. For a while, 20" barrels were very "in vogue", but now they are 24" long unless ordered shorter.
The stocks for the 40-XBBR are made by McMillan, and are a special, completely foam filled "shell" stock (to cut down weight), so the BR guns come in at 10.5 pounds. But, if you re-stock them with a "real" stock, they go up to 12 to 13 pounds.
Both the SINGLE-SHOT match, and the BR rifles can be had with a very good, triple lever, 2 oz trigger (it has NO SAFETY!!). The repeaters come with a very good double lever (adjustable from the outside) target trigger (with safety), which looks like, but is different than, the standard 700 trigger.
In '66, about twenty 40-Xs in 6mm-International were made for the AMU to compete in the Olympics. These had a special 2 oz trigger that had adjustable LOP hand built into them, but all the rest of the triggers over the years have been the same.
That's pretty much the story on the 40-X rifles... they are excellent rifles... better than most "custom built" rifles, and even though going for $1,800 to $2,000 (2001 prices), they are cheaper that many inferior custom rifles. Also, because of the 10 month wait, the resale is very high. If you get one, you won't be disappointed.

Hopefully you read this, as there is some good info there.

Your data is slightly behind the times-

a few in possession-
40 XR KS.(22LR) "R" suffix.
40 XR Walnut (22LR) "R" suffix.
2 each- 40 XC KS Repeater (223) S/S rcvr,24" S/S"Bbl,B" suffix that is stripper clip slotted rear bridge & dog legged aft end of ejection port from Rem Custom Shop.
2 each- 40 XC KS Repeater (7.62)S/S rcvr,24" S/S Bbl, "B" suffix-stripper clip slotted rear bridge & dog legged aft end of ejection port from Rem Custom Shop.
40X KS (7.62) Repeater CrMo rcvr,27-1/4" S/S Bbl, "B" suffix,clip slotted rear bridge.
40X LTH(260) S/Shot S/S rcvr,27-1/4" S/S Bbl,"B" suffix.
40X KS (30-338) S/Shot CrMo rcvr,27-1/4" CrMo bbl,"A" suffix.
40X Walnut (30-06) S/Shot CrMo rcvr,24" CrMo Bbl,"A" suffix.
40X Walnut (22-250) S/S rcvr,27-1/4" S/S Bbl,"B" suffix-stripper clip slotted rear bridge.
40X Walnut (222) Repeater CrMo rcvr,24" CrMo Bbl,"A" suffix.
several XBBR's in possession not listed

The adjustable trigger lever 2oz trigger groups were referenced as the International Trigger Group of which Rem Custom Shop only manufactured approximately a dozen(1 in hand/possession).
R.W.Hart(PA) manufactured Int'l 2oz trigger groups,distinguishable from the Rem units.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The 'info' crazy by Paul 'Pablito' Coburn is as full of holes as Swiss cheese.

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
dh1 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
As this conversation clearly reveals, finding info and ID’ing this has been a bit difficult. Thanks.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by dh1
As this conversation clearly reveals, finding info and ID’ing this has been a bit difficult. Thanks.
Have you called Remington with the serial info?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The simplest alphanumeric 40X description from a 1/2 dozen former/retired Custom Shop employees.

From the horse(s) mouths that built the rifles-

A 40X any configuration-Rimfire-Centerfire has a 721/722 short straight/perpendicular round knob bolt handle.

A 40XB,XC,XR,BBR configuration has a 700 swept bolt handle.

Keep 'em in the X Ring,
DAN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 63 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,448 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,170
Posts18,484,590
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.