Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I thought bbls swapped but not the stocks.
The G2 can take higher pressure rounds like 6.5 Grendel.
Guess some aftermarket bbl makers make it so their G2 barrels wont work on G1. For that reason.

I had a G2. Felt like crap. Away it went .

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have just recently started putting together a TC contender collection and they are getting quite pricey. I bought a set up pistol in 223 with a super 14 barrel, then added a super 14 in 7-30 waters, a 21” carbine barrel in 30-30 along with a carbine stock set.
Then just in the last week ordered a super 14 in 357 maximum and a pachmayr grip and forend.
Have scopes to get mounted and dies to find and of course components to buy. That should keep me busy for quite awhile.
I am getting into this game pretty late as I will be 63 in a few weeks but I gues they’re right,, it is an old man’s game. 😃

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Muffin
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
I’m stuck in one of those nostalgia pits. Not quite a rabbit hole. Back around 1974 I bought a Contender with a 14” 35 Remington barrel and a 22 RF. Then I picked up a 9MM and 45 Long Colt. A few years went by and a friend was getting out of drag racing. I traded him the TC for a Dodge 426 Max Wedge. We just met up again at a dinner. I asked if he still had it? He said yes, never shot it. I asked if he wanted to send it home? He said maybe, we can talk about it later. It has the old wood stocks on it. It’s not like I’m shopping for one, but I’d like to have THAT one back. MD went straight wall so I could hunt the old shotgun counties with it. I haven’t seen it in decades. Saying it’s in the VG condition when we traded, what would be a fair offer on both ends.

Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I agree that there is likely no chance that TC reopens. Even though SSK is doing receivers, the cost of a complete Contender is very high. Four hundred for a receiver while you can buy a CVA complete rifle for that price.Then add on $300 to $400 for a barrel and another hundred for a synthetic stock or two hundred plus for wood and it is a non starter for most people. I love my Contenders, but probably in the future it will be CVA or Henry that get my money.

Joe these prices that Leon mentioned are close to where you are....Although, your receiver would be a G1 not a G2, and for me not as desirable since the bbls and buttstocks do not fit the G2....

Thanks. I looked on GB a couple years ago when MD went Straight wall, and was thinking about contacting my old friend. Prices were all over the place, under $400, and over $1000. I'll see if he will tell me what he wants? But that's against his nature. Back in our street rodding days he would tell people, " No offense, but I want it as cheap as I can get it, so my first offer is $100. If you want more than that, tell me what you want? If I have it, I'll pay it, if I don't, I'll pass." He got lots of cool stuff cheap.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Pappy348
All of the ordinary American break-actions suck in comparison with falling-blocks, but they fill a price niche, and the TCs’ swappable barrels had some purpose, but I think the Tupperware®️ rifles drove the final nail in the coffin, along with the AR craze. Guys who once might’ve bought TC barrels are now buying cheap bolt-actions or uppers. I have a Henry .357. It’s a nice rifle: works perfectly, has very nice wood, and only cost $500, but scoping one is a kludge. I have a scope set up for accuracy testing and maybe deer hunting someday, but it wears a Romeo 5 for just shooting, and a slip-on stock riser.

i hate tupperware stocks. i use High Plains Laminate gunstocks. at the time, you could pick a Encore action and stock for around $300 and a custom barrel for another $300. the last time i've looked it was around $400-500 for the action and stock, then another $400-500 for the custom barrel. the Contender was the same price too, but i bought 10" barrels from ebay, at the time, they were around $175 - 225. (22 Hornet, 30 and 357 Herrett)

500 Linebaugh with Royal Jacaranda stock

[img]https://i.imgur.com/LYE9aD9.jpg?1[/img]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i also have a Sapphyre gunstock on my 444 Marlin

http://www.highplainsgunstocks.com/wood-selection-page.html

i never had a upper, i used to shoot them in the Army all the time and i got sick of them. i've gotten rid of cheap Tupperware bolts action years ago. now i'm into sporterized '91 thru '98 Mausers, 1898 Springfield Krag, Type 99, Carcano's..........

i have a 1972 Winchester m94 in 35/30-30 (JES Reboring) and it werks perfectly and accurate too.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
[quote=Pappy348]

I hope SSK ramps things up. It’s been difficult for a lot of businesses the last few years.

After what the new owners of SSK pulled on me and many other people....hope they go out of business ! Ever since JD Jones sold to the new owners they are on their way to bankruptcy !

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Like the feel of the G1 synth stock and G2 rifle forend ( made by Choate for TC ). Added in a cheekpiece of Kydex and it worked well for me.

Hunted a while and determined my preference for rifles is falling block, not break open.

Contender pistol w Pachmayr gripper rear and non medallion front is my setup

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by hookeye
Like the feel of the G1 synth stock and G2 rifle forend ( made by Choate for TC ). Added in a cheekpiece of Kydex and it worked well for me.

Hunted a while and determined my preference for rifles is falling block, not break open.

Contender pistol w Pachmayr gripper rear and non medallion front is my setup

Not to change the thread too much :), but I have a few break open Handis that I may refresh with some Boyds wood. I don't mind the Handis, but I never cared for the stocks. Thank goodness for aftermarket stuff!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
At least 2 of the key former TC guys are now at CVA. Interesing.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by weagle

Do you know either of them? Maybe you can pick their brains for future projects.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone knows you can't hit anything with a Contender....I have 3 receivers, 4 barrels. Not nearly enough barrels.

The .30-30...100 yards

.30 Sneezer...

.22 LR...50 yds (I'd rather be lucky than good.)

.22 Short...25 yards (Pigs hate this gun)

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by weagle

Do you know either of them? Maybe you can pick their brains for future projects.

I don't know them. I was lobbying the guys I do know for a 16" pistol or take down in 360 BH and 6.5 grendel. I would put a Sharps Bros butt stock on the pistols. The 16" pistol lets you go back and forth between pistol and rifle without ATF issues. I mentioned that it would be similar to the TC super 16 and that's when he mentioned that the TC guys were on board.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my all time favorite contender barrel is my 22 K-Hornet its a great truck gun where legal , i own a lot of Contender stuff , sad T.C. stuff is no longer manufactured . i do have Bull Berry doing a 17 Hornet barrel for me another great little round. Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 02/15/24.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish they would make the Cherokee once again in .32 and .45

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve, that looks like a 10X Bushnell on the 30-303. I have one on my Ruger Swift. Love the scope, fixed power with no parallax adjustment. Really rugged.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 219 Wasp
Steve, that looks like a 10X Bushnell on the 30-303. I have one on my Ruger Swift. Love the scope, fixed power with no parallax adjustment. Really rugged.

It is a 10x40. Unfortunately, like many other fixed power scopes, it's gone the way of the dodo. frown The sales gotta be there though.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If somebody was to buy TC, what would they get besides the brand name?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
My guess is that if somebody bought the TC name, they'd proly do the Encore, G2 and maybe an inline MZ.

Or maybe come up with something completely new.....

maybe a TCR with a sensible safety LOL
Or a falling block?

Last edited by hookeye; 02/16/24.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
It'd be great if they opened shop again. I prefer my T/C Encore with the 7mm-08 barrel over my rem 700's and 7400. Be even better if the used prices would come back down off cloud 9. Just last year Optic planet had a few T/C barrels on sale for around $250, now those same barrels are over $400. I've not counted my barrels, but I have around 15 different rifle barrels and 6 pistol barrels for my Encore frame, plus 3 other Encore frames and 1 PH frame. Not to mention 5 Contender frames, barrels, furniture and a rifle set-up. I have the G1 frames, they are easy to open, but not factory easy-open frames. I have two G2 barrels that work fine on the frames, just change the barrel lugs out and it'll work great.
I'm always looking and buying Encore/Pro-Hunter frames when I can. I'm trying to slow down on the Contenders. I bought a Contender pistol not long ago, thinking okay, this makes #3. A few days later, I realized it was #5, lol. They're certainly an addiction for sure.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If TC is to come back, wonder what their product line would be?

Proly the Encore.
Doubt any classic smokepoles.

I'd like to see them do something like the Savage 219.

Only have one Contender now, have had a half dozen LOL
Never been a fan of the Encore and didn't even like the G2.

Only reason I keep a Contender around, the .35 rem Super 14 is a hoot.
Mines stainless frame w blued bbl. Like the look (wears Pachmayr grip and forend).
Had a 4X Leupold on it, am trying to figure out what RDS to use.

One TC smokepole remains. A Hawken Silver Elite.
Honestly, my favorite was the Renegade. Have had three of em.

But being old n cranky, sure is nice to run an inline, knock out a charge at end of the hunt.
But even thats more hassle than I want to tolerate anymore.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/22/24.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
TC would have to compete against the CVA scout for the low end.
Why even bother?

Dunno how the new SSK (or whoever makes it) Contender frame would affect things.

I think the Encore frame would be their main product.

After that they'd need something NEW. Again, a stainless 219 Savage clone (improved?).
Seems "similar" enough to the old TC product line.

Maybe a boutique shop w higher end wood rifles?

Last edited by hookeye; 02/22/24.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,343
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.