-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I’ve successfully seated and twisted 105’s out of a factory 700 SA VLS. It’s not rocket science

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Fraser
I'm going to building a rifle for my daughter. to use. She turns 12 this year and feels ready to pull the trigger on a deer this fall. We will be hunting in farm fields where shots can be longer. She shoots quite well and finds .243 recoil reasonable (we borrowed a neighbours rifle for her to try). She finds the recoil of my 6.5x284 bothersome and says that she wouldn't like practicing with it. So it looks like she will be shooting a 6mm rifle of some sort.

I recently bought a trued Remington 700 short action from a friend and I'm looking at getting a Krieger #2 contour 6mm barrel. Ideally I would like the performance of the 6mm Creedmoor and the easy ammo availability of the .243. I handload but someday I will likely give her the rifle and she may or may not be a handloader and we might not live close to each other for me to load for her. So while I would build a 6mm Creedmoor for me, I feel like I should build a .243 for her use and have it throated like a 6mm Creedmoor. Does this make sense or am I overlooking anything?

I cannot see ANY reason to choose a .243 over a 6mm Creedmoor nowadays. Factory ammo is available for the 6 Creed. Now that the .22 Creed is a factory cartridge, I would give that some consideration too.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by RemingtonPeters
I’ve successfully seated and twisted 105’s out of a factory 700 SA VLS. It’s not rocket science

I know it can be done. Didn't say it couldn't. Seemed like I had to jump that bullet almost .060 to get it to the lands to fit the mag box. Seems like a ways, but in reality it's like as thick as a penny.
I mean, wouldn't you wanna seat the bullet at the base of the case neck junction? With a 105, it'll be around 2.900 and if you go with a 7.5 twist to take advantage of the 115s, it'd put you up around 3.000 ish. But in doing so, to take advantage of that case, you'd need more freebore or throated for whatever.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
HoneyKchunt,

Your STUPIDITY is again taking you places,that can't exist. Hint.

Bless your heart for TRYING.

Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some have said that the 6mm C ammo is available. I’ve not seen a box for sale on any dealer’s selves. I suppose it’s available on line. But 243 ammo is available everywhere it seems to me, and I’d bet if both were available somewhere the 243 ammo would be less expensive.

The 243 isn’t my favorite 6mm cartridge, but it sure seems to be the general hunting public’s favorite.

For me, depending on who the person who will be using the rifle and what there needs are is an important consideration.

That is: A serious shooter that reloads, takes long range shooting seriously vs an occasional hunter that buys ammo at the nearest gun store for an annual deer hunt.

If the rifle was for me vs my daughter-in-law for example. Though I’m not planning on shooting game at long distances with any 6mm. The choice might be different for me than my DIL.

This cartridge is better than that cartridge due to whatever is less important, in my opinion. The two are ballistic twins at any rate.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Availability is local really - that is what's avail in MT is different than WV. During the "shortages" the ONLY ammo on the shelf in my area was Creedmoor based. The common 06, 308, 270, 243 etc was off the shelf for over a year easily. Not an issue as I reload but I also buy boxes here and there to stash at camp and the like as back ups. So I pay attention a bit.

Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
If you are building rather than buying, get the barrel, then get the brass for whichever cartridge you choose, then have the gun built.

Brass is getting to be more available. So is ammo. So are primers. The situation for the moment is improving. I would still stock up, not hoard, but get enough for the life of the barrel.

Of the two, I prefer the .243. There are pluses to the 6 CM but they're not useful to me. If I need the extra bullet weight and extra BC the faster twist offers, I'm picking a larger bore diameter. For me the 6mms are primarily varmint cartridges that can be squeezed into lighter medium game duty or, as a stunt, some fairly large animals. For dedicated medium game cartridges there are better options than any 6mm.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nobody who has actually shot a Seex Kreedmire,"prefers" the 243 Win. HINT.

I enjoy that you Dumb Fhuqkers think that your STUPIDITY is somehow "choice" or an "advantage",because that schit,is funnier than fhuqk! Hint.

Now as Factory Fodder goes,the Seex Kreed absolutely fhuqking destroys the 243 Win in all areas. Because bullets matter wayyyyyy more than headstamps,it also destroys many larger bore chamberings. "Weight" in and of itself is moot,as is "bore size". Projectile integrity and flight characteistics,are where the rubber meats the road. Pun be intended. Hint.

There's NEVER been a Retard Twist Rate Seex Kreed built and 243 Win's suffer mightily,in same regard. There is NO "good" 243 Win Factory Fodder,yet Skookum Seex Kreed abounds and is easily available. Hint.

You CLUELESS Professional Victims are a HOOT! Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Of the two, I prefer the .243. There are pluses to the 6 CM but they're not useful to me. If I need the extra bullet weight and extra BC the faster twist offers, I'm picking a larger bore diameter. For me the 6mms are primarily varmint cartridges that can be squeezed into lighter medium game duty or, as a stunt, some fairly large animals. For dedicated medium game cartridges there are better options than any 6mm.

Given what you said about varmints - why not stay down in size (6mm) AND get the BC with the 6 Creed? BC isn't for bigger critters, it's for bullets to perform better at range. Short to medium to maintain velocity and energy, long to ELR to reduce drift and maintain velocity and energy. There's no downside - especially as you'd like to keep .243 diameter bullets to varmints.

(IME - 105 243 or 162 7-08 - they both kill deer/medium game the same, going up in "class" doesn't garner different results, not even in tracking distance which is measured in feet, not yards with either)

Me

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Forget about factory ammo. Custom gun deserves a handload or two. Buy 100 lapuas. It'll get you 1000 shots for sure. Any 6 will be cool. 6x250 improved, 6x47 improved, 6xc, anyone will be a blast. But then again, that 6 need more will do it all and then some. I'm just out on a 243 in a shorty on a custom rifle. Are the limitations few? Yea, but there are some, especially with the long heavy bullets. My buddy built a 22-243 and he told me he can't get the 90s to feed without jumping them a long ways, so he screwed it on a long action 700 and he loves it. I just think that for optimum potential of said rifle with the said components and the said intentions, it would be hard for me not to build a 6 creed. Basically that 6x250 improved to 30. Best of all worlds with that cartridge.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
funny that the window licker from panty waste AK is is being ignored

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Liar Larry one note the virtual shooter.

Big numbers look great from the couch. Hint

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
He'll be along shortly. No pun intended.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
As much as I hate to agree with Stick the 6CM would be my choice and will be when I rebarrel my present 243. I use it presently as a coyote only rifle and 55-87 grain bullets. I will probably use the new barrel for exactly the same thing. Why change? Why not?

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In typical fashion,

The topic was a deer rifle for a young lady,

Let me know when she ‘shoots out the barrel’…..In any one’s lifetime.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A young 12 year old female who doesn't like the recoil of a larger 6mm will be best served with 90 to 95 grain projectiles and she will be shooting less than 200 yards. If the rifle she likes is available in .243, get it. If it's available in 6 Creedmoor get it. If a custom build...toss a coin in the air.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Coyote10
Forget about factory ammo. Custom gun deserves a handload or two. Buy 100 lapuas. It'll get you 1000 shots for sure. Any 6 will be cool. 6x250 improved, 6x47 improved, 6xc, anyone will be a blast. But then again, that 6 need more will do it all and then some. I'm just out on a 243 in a shorty on a custom rifle. Are the limitations few? Yea, but there are some, especially with the long heavy bullets. My buddy built a 22-243 and he told me he can't get the 90s to feed without jumping them a long ways, so he screwed it on a long action 700 and he loves it. I just think that for optimum potential of said rifle with the said components and the said intentions, it would be hard for me not to build a 6 creed. Basically that 6x250 improved to 30. Best of all worlds with that cartridge.

Your Imaginary "friend" is as fhuqking STUPID,as you actually are...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

For posterity. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Your "understanding" of RPM,Throat Geometry and COAL is fhuqking HILARIOUS! As an aside,22-243 case capacity is duped by 224 Speedmire and I just "happen" to have several set up expressly for 90gr Beer Cans. The astute will savvy the Seex Kreed/243Win mechanical correlation,though you CLUELESS Droolers will simply keep Licking Windows,as it's your only "move". Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Bless your hearts for Whining,Crying,Lying and Trying.

You gals should consider joining "forces". HINT.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We get it stick. You like short actions and a creedmore case. And spike bucks, and yellow tape, and pink rifles. You do you man. I hate to burst your speedmire bubble, but it lacks about 250 to 300 feet per second with said Beer Can 90s behind a 22-243. I doubt it ever catches up with your down range logistics.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The only things you "get" are Imagination and Pretend,because they are free...you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Like/like case capacity offers like/like velocity,though I do "happen" to shoot CHeetah(MK1) as well,as you Pretend aloud with your GoogleFu. You are an Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk. Hint.

You had BETTER join "forces",so as to become a "we" with The Google Gals,you CLUELESS Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Pardon wares that exist. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Then you know your cheetah will get 3500 plus with a 90. That creed ain't touching that. I've pounded more fur with these cartridges than you ever have or ever will that's a fact. But you keep running that suck and calling people liars. That's real cool!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

275 members (10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 204guy, 12344mag, 16gage, 35 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,501
Posts18,490,488
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.