-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm interested in purchasing luggage (leaning toward a rolling duffel) that can be used to transport four-piece, 9' fly rods. The rods break down to about 27", but in factory tubes or other rod carriers, they typically measure nearly 32". It seems as though nearly all luggage large enough to accommodate 32" rod tubes plus loads of other assorted clothing and gear push the bounds on the seemingly standard 62 linear inch size requirement for checked bags. Anything larger than that (and usually limited to 50 lbs.) and you are potentially subjecting yourself to costly oversize luggage charges.

Can any seasoned travelers tell me how strictly most airlines enforce the 62" size limit? I imagine it's much easier to enforce the weight limit because the scale doesn't lie, but how often will an airline attendant whip out a measuring tape to see if you're over the measurement limits?

I am not looking to skirt the rules. But so many bags large enough to accommodate a 9' rod are either right at the size limit or slightly over. With a soft-sided bag, I'm thinking that a little squishing here and there might help meet the size requirements.

I don't want to spend lots of money on a bag I think will meet the requirements only to get hit with oversize charges whenever I travel, even at times when I may not be carrying long rods.

Any advice on a bombproof piece of luggage that's a good option?

Thanks.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's Plano that makes some long hard plastic tube rod carriers that I have lugged my rods all over MX and the Caribbean with. They have gotten beat to crap by the airlines and luggage handlers and kept my rods good to go.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They don’t whip out a measuring tape, they have metal boxes that are used as a template. Suitcase has to fit inside the box or they will make you check it. How and when they are enforced is a random number generator it seems, but is definitely dependent on the “fullness” of the flight, which in the last few years seems to be near 100% on almost every flight.

I have seen it enforced at security checkpoints, at the gate, and most of the time not at all. You would do better to carry the tube separately, I have rarely seen issues with people carrying odd size things like that vs. a bag that will struggle to fit in overhead bins on all but the largest wide body jets.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I travel almost weekly. Not exactly what you’re asking for but I travel with a large surf rod rated for shark/tarpon. It’s a travel rod but pretty long. It’s a large enough diameter you could fit multiple rods in very easy. I’m going to lash a second rod tube to it for next trip. I carry it on along with my travel pack. The large surf reels and tackle are in my checked bag. If the overheads are large enough, most planes over 900 seem to be so far, I’ll drop it in behind others overhead bags. Hasn’t been a problem and worst case I just leave it on floor leaned against my leg. It’s not a big deal.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It’s something like 35” travel rod tube. It’s decent for what it is. Way easier than trying to find a checked bag that fits rods IMO.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’m not exactly following your question, but will give my experience flying with rods.

Have only done this on Southwest.

I use a double rod case exactly like this. And have carried it on and stashed in the overhead while also carrying a full backpack. It measures 33” in length. I’ve also put it in my checked duffel bag when I didn’t want deal with carrying it on there trip.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

My coworker has similar case, but it is for 2 piece rods, so twice as long or so.

One year they let him carry it on and stash it. One year they made him check it as luggage individually. No added cost.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve used a case similar to that as Cheesy has posted above. I also have a Fish Pond travel case that I really like and it is not nearly as unwieldy as the case above. Nothing wrong with the case above, I like it just think the Fish Pond case is not as difficult to handle.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
A
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
A
I've used the same style case that Cheesy recommended and have done both techniques he specified. I've also attached the case to another bag to make two pieces of luggage a single piece. Somewhat awkward, but it eliminated a fee for another checked bag.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
In my experience the enforcement of luggage size can be pretty arbitrary. I borrowed a hard sided carry on that was slightly over the l/w/h maximums. I got by with it on a couple flights but not on one flight. Gate agent required it to be checked but did not charge me. I bought an in spec piece so I didn’t have to be concerned about it every time I fly. Crowded flights (most are) seem to get the most luggage scrutiny. I think you’d be setting yourself up for self induced aggravation.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The quick and cheap way is use cardboard map tube cut to length and carry it on.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I rarely if ever fly with checked bags so not much help but a thought - call the customer service line of a company like Simms or Yellow Dog Fly Fishing. Those guys travel A TON with fly gear and can probably point out some best practices when it comes to doing so or recommend luggage.

Me

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I use a TuffPak when I go to Africa or travel with guns. Works well for me and I stuff my clothes around the guns which are in their own soft cases. Never had an issue. Something like this might work in your situation.

https://nalpak.com/brands/Tuffpak.html

[Linked Image from cdn11.bigcommerce.com]

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies, and I apologize for not being as clear as I should have. Some countries (e.g., Argentina) do not allow any fishing tackle to be carried into an airplane. So, I am looking to find a checked bag (not a carry on) that is large enough to accommodate 9’ rods but not be so large that the bag exceeds the 62 linear inch size limit for checked bags. Checked bags larger than that are subject to oversize charges.

Travel rod tubes or cases are not allowed to be carried onto a plane in Argentina, either.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by CoalCracker
Thanks for the replies, and I apologize for not being as clear as I should have. Some countries (e.g., Argentina) do not allow any fishing tackle to be carried into an airplane. So, I am looking to find a checked bag (not a carry on) that is large enough to accommodate 9’ rods but not be so large that the bag exceeds the 62 linear inch size limit for checked bags. Checked bags larger than that are subject to oversize charges.

Travel rod tubes or cases are not allowed to be carried onto a plane in Argentina, either.
I mail my rods ahead to my destination.
Less hassle, takes a little more planning time-wise.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I think Orvis or bean make a more toned down (less "tacticool" version in green and tan or even a leather "bull bag")

https://www.xhunter.com.au/beretta-692-soft-maxi-duffle-gun-bag-case-with-wheels-trolley

Last edited by OldmanoftheSea; 02/16/24.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the link. That looks like a great bag at a fair price. However, according to the specs, it measures out at a total of 72 linear inches, so it is 10” more than the checked baggage size limit imposed by most airlines.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link. That looks like a great bag at a fair price. However, according to the specs, it measures out at a total of 72 linear inches, so it is 10” more than the checked baggage size limit imposed by most airlines.

I’d hate to tell you don’t worry about it, and then you get dinged for it, but I don’t think they’d ding you for that Beretta bag. I’ve never measured others bags, but in my mind I’ve seen a ton of bags that would be over 62” combined

I’ve flown with this round duffel on American and Southwest several times without being stopped, usually when I’m fishing and need to throw in my waders and boots and the double rod case i showed above.

https://rticoutdoors.com/Duffle-Bag It’s 16” diameter and 35” long. So 67” of the l+w+h were used.

And edited to add, I didn’t know the magical 62” measurement existed until just now when googling what the heck you’re talking about smile

Last edited by Cheesy; 02/17/24.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

They may make other sizes. That is just the one I could find quickly.

https://www.orvis.com/product/orvis-carry-it-all/25FM.html

https://www.orvis.com/product/trekkage-lt-adventure-80l-checked-roller-bag/3E0N.html

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used a 4" piece of pvc pipe for years. One end has a glued on end cap, the other has a screw on access point. You can cut it to the length you want and they've always had no problem checking it.

I guess if you only want to check one item, I haven't answered your question, but if you don't mind having an additional checked piece, it works well.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If I'm not able to carry my rods on, I've had good luck with the 30" Tumi Rolling Duffle. There's a separate compartment in the bottom that I can store rods or boots and waders, separate from the rest of my stuff. Its nice especially at the end of the trip when things are still a little wet. Its a little pricey but the quality is extremely high. A 9' rod, without the tube, is about 29" I normally leave the metal tube at home and use a heavy cardboard 3" packing tube that I trim as small as possible. These are easier to pack in the case. You can squeeze together two rods in one of them and it takes up less space. I also do this on carry on so I don't have an issue with the metal tubes. I also hide an Airtag in the bag, mine's actually a Tile (for an android) that pings off of bluetooth within a couple hundred yards.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (06hunter59, 1badf350, 204guy, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,307
Posts18,487,152
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.