Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Anyone see the news story last night on Global BC about trapping with a dead horse near Merritt if memory serves me correctly? They interviewed a lady from SCPA who basically gave a fundraiser speech while they played a video of the trapper repeatedly. Even though the practice is legal, she did her best trying to figure out a way to charge the guy. The video also showed a frozen coyote on a sled recently harvested and it was clear she wanted to shock the audience. Doesn't surprise me, but its still upsetting knowing the news is generally on the side of these people and never wants to hear from anyone else. It won't be long before trapping goes the way of grizzly hunts. I looked on the SCPA website and they appear to support outlawing hunting, trapping and fishing for everyone but natives.

GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They appeal to the majority of people with their tear jerking video's, then in BC we have a Communist government urging them on.
The real concern for Citizens of BC and the rest of Canada is your last sentence.

I was at a meeting last evening in Salmon arm, the MLA for the area Greg Kyllo hosted the meeting with his guests, Ellis Ross MLA and Pete Milobar MLA, it was about proposed changes to the land use act the NDP are trying to impose on us, the venue was packed and standing room only.

My take? First of all, don't trust the BC United, second, view the current NDP as a sworn enemy, third the indians want everything and they were there last evening and told the estimated 400+ people exactly that.

Land use closures......fishing, hunting, logging, mining, snowmobiling, hiking etc.....is going to be a no go according to Chief bullshyter. It was jaw dropping as he talked down to everyone. I wont get into what I said to him, but I could hear people gasping.

The indians have been raping the wildlife for years now with the intent of having it all, they shoot at night, female ungulate of all species then literally thumb their nose at any form of Conservation. Not all indians agree, but you will find all the bleeding hearts such as the SPCA, Wolf huggers etc... do agree. They want you/me/us off the land, exactly like what they have done in the Northwest and now Northeast of the Province.

This is about land use, and changes to the land use act, the Treaties that are being negotiated and signed are completely different, but integrated.
Oh, and for those who don't live in BC and don't think its your problem, it is coming to your Province too, if not already.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
673;
Top of the morning my friend, I hope the day's started off well for you other than the cold and you and the fine family are well.

Thanks for the update on the meeting, I know you're plugged in to a few issues regarding FN, land use, hunting, etc. more than many of us are.

Thank you also for standing up and speaking the truth, it needs to be said.

We've chatted about this before too, but I've been in the room when a FN chap was told by a recent immigrant Canadian that "if you all know what's good for you, get what you can now, because we came here with nothing, we don't have white guilt and we're not buying your line of BS."

There was more to it than that 673, but the upshot was that when some of the newer Canadians got into the halls of power, things might not be quite the same.

As always, we shall see, but this current direction isn't sustainable.

Thanks again and all the best to you all on this long weekend.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by North6120
Anyone see the news story last night on Global BC about trapping with a dead horse near Merritt if memory serves me correctly? They interviewed a lady from SCPA who basically gave a fundraiser speech while they played a video of the trapper repeatedly. Even though the practice is legal, she did her best trying to figure out a way to charge the guy. The video also showed a frozen coyote on a sled recently harvested and it was clear she wanted to shock the audience. Doesn't surprise me, but its still upsetting knowing the news is generally on the side of these people and never wants to hear from anyone else. It won't be long before trapping goes the way of grizzly hunts. I looked on the SCPA website and they appear to support outlawing hunting, trapping and fishing for everyone but natives.
Why would native be any different if killing things? Thats the crock of [bleep] part of so much of whats going on these days..

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
rost495;
Morning my friend, I hope that you've got the fire lit and coffee on whether you all are north or south of me this fine, frosty morn.

The reason it's different for the FN, Inuit and in some provinces Metis folks is that they have the right to hunt and fish entrenched in the Canadian Bill of Rights.

That's my layman's understanding and if someone who knows much more than I do about this says different, then take their word and disregard mine.

I will say this though, nowhere does is say they can use firearms to hunt, that's a twist I like to throw in for some of the FN folks I've talked to who say they'll keep their guns when the rest of us non-FN folks will have to turn them in.

There's also some UN meddling in this with the UNDRIP - United Nations Declaration on the rights of Indigenous Peoples - which states people who qualify as such get some traditional rights over those who showed up later in history.

This is, as you can imagine, somewhat controversial, with the leftist do good, feel good types wanting to, well in my view pander to the FN people.

Then there are some suggesting that any measures which divide a given population have forever and always been bad when viewed in a historical perspective.

Usually too, it ends bad for the people who've been given a perceived favoring as they're visible targets when the uncertain vagaries of life cause things to go sideways.

As always, this is just one little old BC redneck's thoughts on the matter sir.

All the best despite the interesting times we're in on both sides of the medicine line.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dwayne, I am not sure what can be done related to sustaining trapping as a lifestyle and a need in conservation management.

I listened to a news ad from a group called earth rangers trying to recruit young children to their cause. Their selling point was 40% of the world’s animal population has gone extinct in the last 20 years. It does not take much of a google search to prove this statement wrong. However, the point being, they are bringing children onto their side which in turn creates more future pressure.

Having come from a farm background and having family members that were trappers when I was growing up gave me an appreciation that I have tried to pass onto our children but even they see situations like the OP described differently than I do.

The future on trapping and in some cases, hunting is going to be a rocky road.

I do believe that we need to get to a point of partnerships with FN communities for equal support. This will be a tough road due to past polarizations but not one that is impossible.

Hugh

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

237 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 22 invisible), 1,663 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,121
Posts18,483,658
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.